Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I sold my mid 2011 21.5" with the 6770 gpu for a very good price back in June, expecting the refesh to be announced soon after. I got so tired of waiting that I pulled the trigger on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop. Sure, it doesnt run OSX but for everything else this thing is pure bliss: Core i7 3.4ghz ivy bridge, 12gb 1600 RAM, 2tb HD, ATI 7870 with 2gb of GDDR5, all for $1000. I'm a skyrim fan, this rig runs it at 60fps with all settings on ultra!!!
Dont get me wrong, I still have a early 2011 13" MBP with a 256gb M4 SSD that runs like butter so right now, I must say that I'm pretty much a happy camper.
Just my 2 cents.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I sold my mid 2011 21.5" with the 6770 gpu for a very good price back in June, expecting the refesh to be announced soon after. I got so tired of waiting that I pulled the trigger on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop. Sure, it doesnt run OSX but for everything else this thing is pure bliss: Core i7 3.4ghz ivy bridge, 12gb 1600 RAM, 2tb HD, ATI 7870 with 2gb of GDDR5, all for $1000. I'm a skyrim fan, this rig runs it at 60fps with all settings on ultra!!!
Dont get me wrong, I still have a early 2011 13" MBP with a 256gb M4 SSD that runs like butter so right now, I must say that I'm pretty much a happy camper.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm waiting for a couple of months now... It's extremely irritating.
So far, I've been staying away from splashing on a Windows machine, but this is getting stupid.
I refuse to pay €1200 for an year-old machine (current iMac), so unless the new iMac comes real soon, I'll have to make a decision.

Apple apparent strategy of leaving customers in the dark may be working for them, but it doesn't work for me.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Just my 2 cents.

f81a15_760366.jpg

BenniG

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
I'm waiting for a couple of months now... It's extremely irritating.
So far, I've been staying away from splashing on a Windows machine, but this is getting stupid.
I refuse to pay €1200 for an year-old machine (current iMac), so unless the new iMac comes real soon, I'll have to make a decision.

Apple apparent strategy of leaving customers in the dark may be working for them, but it doesn't work for me.

So sick of waiting that I started to look for alternatives in the All in one market.
(I am very interested in W8)

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I feel like we're all a bunch of kids waiting to open our Christmas presents. :)

Except in real life, our presents haven't arrived or even been announced yet. :(

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
ITT: I got so sick of waiting for the new BMW that I went out and bought a Chevy.

triweaver2

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Looking at Linux machines here. Only thing keeping me from that is the replacement cost for software to run my dobby weaving loom. It is over $1800 US, ouch.

jabbmic

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
just bought a Hp omni 27" 1020eo for 900$..
cant wait anymore and i dont belive in this bs rumors!
i recomend u guys to do the same, to hell with them and their old imac´s
:)

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm sick of waiting too. While I won't say "never", the chances of me buying a Windows based machine are 0% right now. When Apple no longer makes an affordable desktop, I'll buy a Windows machine - until then it's Mac desktops for me. If they discontinue the iMac (absolutely NO reason to believe they will anytime soon), and the only options are a Mac Mini (not powerful enough) or Mac Pro (too expensive)...I'll be forced to buy a Windows box. Until then, I wait. Gotta admit though, the silence is deafening and most annoying.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
the annoying thing is that no matter how much frustration we release in this forum, it won´t help :( We still have no clue other than small indications. I´m going nuts soon

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I wonder if Apple employees read forums like this. While the vast majority of Apple employees probably don't know more than we do, I'd hope that some do read the forums and rumor sites. If I were a head hancho at Apple, I'd have someone scour the Internet for rumors and leaks, but I'd also have them report on the general discussions going on.

seniorchang

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I also couldn't wait anymore. I've been waiting since last year, but I couldn't take it anymore.

Just ordered a brand new amazon kindle.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
I just wish they'd release a 24" model in this next mix. I feel like the gap between 21.5 and 27" is a little too large.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
for those sick of waiting, build a computer, it will give you great knowlodge. Dont buy a windows notebook or AIO, create your own! Its a good idea to have it as second computer anyways. Moreover, it can be used as your main computer while you wait for your favorite line refresh

Out of curiosity, thats how I got into the mac world, bought macbook to use as second computer if my main PC dies. I was planing on never using it. Now Im a OS X fan.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
for those sick of waiting, build a computer, it will give you great knowlodge. Dont buy a windows notebook or AIO, create your own! Its a good idea to have it as second computer anyways. Moreover, it can be used as your main computer while you wait for your favorite line refresh

I like to build my own components too. Just map out some circuits, add your own capacitors, homemade transistors. Extrude the ore for wires out of the dirt in your backyard.

This will still be faster than waiting for a Mac update.

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
ITT: I got so sick of waiting for the new BMW that I went out and bought a Chevy.

Depends on which BMW you're waiting for, Chevrolet does have certain models (corvette, camaro) that I would prefer over a BMW station wagon. But let's stick with cars I'd prefer over Chevys, like the successor to the 335 and the M3 - BMW tells you when they'll be released and you get the current models, which are far from outdated at great prices. At least pre-owned or even new here in the US. I'm from Germany originally and it's just amazing how much cheaper German cars are here...

I think I went off topic a bit, no?

----------

You know that Chevy makes the Corvette ZR1, right? That car will blow the doors off your BMW.

Depends on the drivers and the BMW. The ZR 1 is a great car, but on a track I doubt it would even take the stock M3. Drag racing, sure. But there are faster BMWs than an M3, andunfortunately none of my uninformed car gibberish has revealed the whereabouts of the new iMac (which probably will integrate with iDrive).

----------

Depends on which BMW you're waiting for, Chevrolet does have certain models (corvette, camaro) that I would prefer over a BMW station wagon. But let's stick with cars I'd prefer over Chevys, like the successor to the 335 and the M3 - BMW tells you when they'll be released and you get the current models, which are far from outdated at great prices. At least pre-owned or even new here in the US. I'm from Germany originally and it's just amazing how much cheaper German cars are here...

I think I went off topic a bit, no?

----------

Depends on the drivers and the BMW. The ZR 1 is a great car, but on a track I doubt it would even take the stock M3. Drag racing, sure. But there are faster BMWs than an M3, andunfortunately none of my uninformed car gibberish has revealed the whereabouts of the new iMac (which probably will integrate with iDrive).

I take everything back, the Corvette did a lap time of 7:18 at the Nürburgring ... That much for the old stereotype that American cars don't have good handling. The ZR 1 is a monster, kudos Jim Mero

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009

Out of curiosity, thats how I got into the mac world, bought macbook to use as second computer if my main PC dies. I was planing on never using it. Now Im a OS X fan.

I'd love to build a computer just for the fun of it, but at least for me, it'd end up just being a waste of money, since It wouldn't run all of the OS X software that I need it to run. Not because of exclusivity, but because I own OS X licenses for all of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.