Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Ok. 21.5" isn't as big as a 27" granted. But unless you are use to a 60" TV at home, I don't know how a 21.5" screen can be considered tiny. According to most home theater experts a 27" screen requires your eyeballs to be three feet away for optimal viewing. A 21.5" requires two feet four inches. So, the 27" doubles as a great entertainment system, but kind of impractical for most desks.

As to skyrim. The 6770M card is equal to the GeForce 260 (says toms hardware guide) which is the reccomended gpu for high settings according to non other than bethesda. You should be able to play skyrim on high/ultra settings as long as you turn off AA, as anything higher than 2x AA can eat 10-20 FPS. A quad core CPU will do a lot as well because skyrim is a very Cpu intensive game.

The 27" makes a great TV. But is a silly size for a computer screen. I find myself leaning back in a chair when I try out any of my friends 27" screens as opposed to sitting normally with the 21.5"

I am waiting for the new 21.5" and I plan on playing skyrim with it. If there is no update announcement on the 12th. I will probably buy the 2011 model.

Actually, 24" would be perfect and that is what I have now.
As for the 6770, I was averaging 35 fps with everything high and AA off. With the 7879 I am averaging 55-60 fps with everything on ultra and 8x AA. Believe me it's a different experience altogether.

marcolino

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
Austria
wasnt able to wait anymore and got myself a maxed out 4 months old 27 inch imac for € 2400 on ebay. its got warranty til april 2013 so i've got some time to decide for apple care or against...
anyway, it's a decent machine and it will fulfill my needs just fine for quite some years :-D

IamMarcoPolo

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
wasnt able to wait anymore and got myself a maxed out 4 months old 27 inch imac for € 2400 on ebay. its got warranty til april 2013 so i've got some time to decide for apple care or against...
anyway, it's a decent machine and it will fulfill my needs just fine for quite some years :-D

Your kidding right? you could not wait another day?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

LOL, good for you :D

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Another day could be another month

Also if the iMacs have retina display what would be the realistic resolution I myself doubt it would 4k with the cost.

So you dont think they would have a cheaper option that would still be better than a 1.5 year old computer spec for the same amount of money :D

angus99

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I've been waiting for the new model for a few months now and in the meantime set up my 13" 2010 MBP as a desktop to convince my wife to change from windows to osx. This is OK as an interim solution but is really too slow for a desktop and I also need the MBP for work at times. I won't buy the current model Imac as I got caught out by the 2011 MBP refresh and now how an 18 month old machine that can't even run all the features of the current OS (i.e. airplay mirroring)

Out of frustration, I decided to try to Hackintosh my 3.5 year old 1st gen Core i7 920 windows PC with GTX 260 GPU.

Now running mountain lion with a Geekbench score of 9200, which is ~2.5x my MBP score.

I'll still buy a new 2012 Imac , probably the 21.5" higher spec model, when it comes out as I really want to get rid of the large PC tower, but I'm not in any rush now.

marcolino

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
Austria
Your kidding right? you could not wait another day?

who knows when the new imac is coming...
i got mine for a very good price and if a new one is coming i think that most of the new ones will be slower than mine...
and concerning retina: i'm quite sure it's not coming (at least for the 27 inch)

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
Well I was just wondering if there will be a July 2016 release for iMac as that is when I expect to change my mid-2011 iMac. :rolleyes: Anyone?
The iMac product line will probably have been replaced with notebooks or oversized iOS devices by then.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
The iMac product line will probably have been replaced with notebooks or oversized iOS devices by then.

Not in our house it won't. I would either have to get a new Mini (if still being made) or build something myself and link to a cinema display. Maybe I should simply wait and see if the mini gets updated buy one and put it away until 2016. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.