Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Da321123niel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Hi!

I just started studying information systems and thought that i would be doing most of my work in java or python... but it turns out that almost everything will be done using C# witch is microsoft technologies. Good news is that i get a free download of either windows 7 or windows 8.

I own a macbook air 13" base-model but with upgraded ram (8gb). What do i need to know if i want to install windows on my mac? can I use the inbuilt program bootcamp-assistant? and will this work with windows 8? do you guys think that 40gb partition will be enough?

----------

oh and should i take 32 or 64-bit version?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want to run native, i.e., boot into windows for the best performance and direct access to the hardware then I'd go with boot camp. Since you have 8GB of ram, I'd go with the 64bit version.

If you want to stay in OSX and occasionally use windows, then Vmware Fusion may be the better solution and with that I'd say the 32bit version of windows. There is a bit more overhead to running 64bit and you're not really going to take advantage of what the 64bit has to offer in Vmware so I'd say go with 32bit (ymmv)

Da321123niel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2012
I will mostly be in os x (hopefully) but will do most of my programming work in windows and rebooting isn't that much of a problem. But big question is if it will work with windows 8?

And btw, thank you for your answer =]

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Yes, Fusion and BootCamp will work with Windows 8 when it comes out later this year. Fusion 5 was just released, and they announced that it's Windows 8 compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.