Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Production of 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro and Updated iMacs Reportedly Ramping Up

Late last month, NPD DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim reported that suppliers had begun production on 2560x1600 display panels destined for a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The machine has been rumored to be launching in October.

Digitimes now reports that full production on the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is underway with shipments from Apple's supply chain beginning to ramp up ahead of a claimed September or October launch. The report also claims that production on updated iMac models is ramping up, although the company has been experiencing difficulties with its high-end models.
Quote:
As for the iMac, Apple originally planned to release three new models with upgraded panels and CPUs, but due to poor yields of the panels, the mass production of the high-end model, has been postponed, without any launch schedule. The other two models - targeting the mid-range and entry-level segments - saw shipment volumes from the supply chain increase in September.
Digitimes' track record has been unreliable, but it does sometimes offer correct information and considering its claims in the context of other reports can frequently offer guidance on the reliability of any specific rumor. Many of its new claims do line up with a previous report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo pointing to mid-September readiness for updated 21.5-inch iMacs while updated 27-inch iMacs remain on hold until late October due to issues with display production.

If Apple is indeed experiencing difficulties with a new display assembly on the larger 27-inch iMac models, it is unclear how the company will handle a launch. It appears unlikely that Apple would debut updated versions of the 21.5-inch models without new 27-inch models also appearing, so it seems that Apple will announce both models at the same time. Given that assumption, Apple could either introduce the new models at an earlier timeframe with availability of the 27-inch models delayed somewhat, or simply hold the 21.5-inch models until the 27-inch models are ready and the company can announce immediate availability of an entirely-updated iMac lineup.

Article Link: Production of 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro and Updated iMacs Reportedly Ramping Up
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
applesith
macrumors 68000

A new iMac design would be awesome!

Current design is fantastic, but new Apple design is ALWAYS welcome!
applesith is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Didn't the 17" MacBook Pro see a unibody design after the 13" and 15" models?

Edit - 13" and 15" unibody MacBook Pro's came out in October 2008, with the 17" trailing behind, coming out in January 2009

Could we experience a similar scenario in which smaller, redesigned models release first, then the larger model releases later?

Last edited by Johnf1285; Sep 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Johnf1285 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #4
edry.hilario
macrumors 6502a

faaakkkkk!!!! i want a new imac !!!! 27inch
edry.hilario is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #5
pdiddy827
macrumors newbie

This will change everything...again.
pdiddy827 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #6
kobyh15
macrumors 6502a

I want to see what the 13" rMBP can do.
kobyh15 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Hakone
macrumors 6502

I hear digitimes is highly reliable.

Jk. At least it's Mac news!
Hakone is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #8
iSengKin
macrumors member

Me want the new 27" iMac!!! Apple, make my wish come true! ^_^
Apple TV
iSengKin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
gnrredphoenix
macrumors member

So bottom line is still nobody knows what the hell is going on. Will we see a 21'' ? a 27''? sept? oct?... I'm dying for a new imac but at this point, ill believe it when i see it.
gnrredphoenix is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Zunjine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf1285 View Post
Didn't the 17" MacBook Pro see a unibody design after the 13" and 15" models?

Could we experience a similar scenario in which smaller, redesigned models release first, then the larger model releases later?
Hasn't Apple dumped the 17 inch? If they have I very much doubt they'll bring it back.

I know some people liked them but a 17 inch laptop just isn't portable if you ask me.

I don't need a new Macbook yet but I would certainly consider a 13 inch retina Macbook Pro if the price is right. Now
Zunjine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:00 AM   #11
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
I can see them releasing 21.5" models and waiting for the 27" models. Jobs had no issue saying the White iPhone wasn't ready yet when they annouced the iPhone 4. Then again that product launch was probably harder to reschedule... but they did introduce new MacBook/PowerBooks a few times with only a few models being available. Like the original 15" MacBook Pro debuted in January 2006 with the 17" model following in April of 2006.

But maybe I'm just bias since my brother has been bugging me for months on when he should buy an iMac and I want the questions to stop
LimeiBook86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:00 AM   #12
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86 View Post
I can see them releasing 21.5" models and waiting for the 27" models. Jobs had no issue saying the White iPhone wasn't ready yet when they annouced the iPhone 4. Then again that product launch was probably harder to reschedule...

But maybe I'm just bias since my brother has been bugging me for months on when he should buy an iMac
Color and size are two different things...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:01 AM   #13
themcfly
macrumors regular

TL;DR: the iMac we want is not ready yet. .-.
themcfly is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 AM   #14
dlewis23
macrumors 6502a

A 27" iMac with the chin removed is just what I want. A new display or higher resolution is a big plus too.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 AM   #15
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

I think I'm gonna go and buy the current model. I really don't want a retina panelled iMac, would be such a waste of resources, especially for me. It really didn't wow me the retina MBP as long as its free from dead pixels, relatively bright and colourful a current iMac display is more than adequate.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

I was hoping for a 24" iMac.
Xenomorph is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:06 AM   #17
goobot
macrumors 68040

I really hope the 13 rmbp has quad core and 4 gigs I ram. If it doesn't I don't know what to say.
goobot is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:06 AM   #18
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
thank you for your contribution. it was great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
People still do this?
By commenting you give credence to his juvenility ... Just use the report button and a mod will come along and despatch the irrelevant post.

Back on topic, so are we now assuming that the 27" will feature a 'retina' display ? or just another kind of display ? Surely something like 5120x2880 would require huge graphical power boost ?
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:07 AM   #19
MightyWhite
macrumors member

It does say three new models so in thoery they could do the 2 updated 27" iMacs pretty soon and the top end (Probably Retina) would be the delayed one. This would make snece as there is a problem with the panel etc...

Hopefully that is the case as I am not fussed about retina as I think the screen is ok now and retina will cost a fortune I would guess...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:07 AM   #20
bdavis89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
I was hoping for a 24" iMac.
This. I have a 23" monitor at home. I think 23 or 24" iMac would be a nice mid-range screen size. 21.5" is a little smaller than I'd like, and 27" is too big for me.
bdavis89 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #21
azentropy
macrumors 65816

I'm interested in both these releases. However my interest in the 13" rMBP will disappear if there is not a Quad Core option and if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU. Just not enough benefit going to a rMBP for just a bit thinner, lighter and a better display while losing built in gb ethernet, FW800, user upgradability etc.

Hoping the new iMacs really has improved anti-glare qualities that have been rumored. If not then that won't be an viable option for me either.
azentropy is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #22
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyWhite View Post
It does say three new models so in thoery they could do the 2 updated 27" iMacs pretty soon and the top end (Probably Retina) would be the delayed one. This would make snece as there is a problem with the panel etc...

Hopefully that is the case as I am not fussed about retina as I think the screen is ok now and retina will cost a fortune I would guess...
21.5/27/30 or 32?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #23
Zarkizon
macrumors member

I really hope that if/when a 13-inch rMBP is released that it doesn't replace the current one. I just got mine!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:10 AM   #24
DrJohnnyN
macrumors 6502a

Awesome! Can't wait!
Any guesses on price?
Looking to buy a couple of 13" rMBPs for family.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:10 AM   #25
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnerd93 View Post
I think I'm gonna go and buy the current model. I really don't want a retina panelled iMac, would be such a waste of resources, especially for me. It really didn't wow me the retina MBP as long as its free from dead pixels, relatively bright and colourful a current iMac display is more than adequate.
Agreed, same here. I bought my iMac about a month ago, couldn't be happier.

I do look forward to seeing the new chassis design, if the reports are correct; but this iMac is my first Mac of any kind and it will serve me well. I'll consider a retina display in a couple of years when webpages actually support the higher resolution. Not to mention apps, software, etc etc

Side note, I'm really thinking more and more that the "5" shadow on the iPhone announcement means more than just the iPhone 5. I'm really leaning toward there being 5 product announcements, the rMBP 13 and iPhone being 2 of them...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion