Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

Change keyboard shortcut to switch tabs in Safari?

Hi

I'm wondering if I can change th keyboard shortcut in Safari from "cmd + shift +[ or ]" to something more easier to perform like "cmd + option + left or right arrow"

Thanks for any help
kmj2318 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts

Then, click the "+" button. Select Safari as the Application on the Window that pops up. Type Select Previous Tab in the 'Menu Title' field. Then, press command+shift+left to set the shortcut and click 'Add' to save. Click the "+" again and repeat the process for command+shift+right (in this 'Menu Title' field, you will type Select Next Tab).

edit: Just saw you wanted 'option' instead of shift. It will work either way - just replace shift with option in my example.

Pics for reference:

Last edited by Stooby Mcdoobie; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:08 AM   #3
samh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj2318 View Post
Hi

I'm wondering if I can change th keyboard shortcut in Safari from "cmd + shift +[ or ]" to something more easier to perform like "cmd + option + left or right arrow"

Thanks for any help
I didn't even know about that shortcut. I've always used control+tab and control+shift+tab.
samh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:11 AM   #4
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh View Post
I didn't even know about that shortcut. I've always used control+tab and control+shift+tab.
Didn't know about this knew about the other way (which I never used) But good info to know. Might start using this.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:28 AM   #5
tomf
macrumors member

Hi All,

I set up a keyboard shortcutto flip back and forth through my tabs in safari ( apple <- or apple -> ) - however they only work when the tab is empty.
If i have a web page open in a tab, then when i press my shortcut, it goes 'back' or 'forwards' in the page.

Any ideas on how i can stop this so i can cycle through my tabs as normal?

Thanks
tomf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Spikeefix
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh View Post
THAT'S the one I wanted - control+tab. THANKS!!
Spikeefix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 07:25 PM   #7
petervangalen
macrumors newbie

Update

Stooby Mcdoobie's post (#2) still works except you have to name the shortcut "Show Previous Tab" and "Show Next Tab", just like under the "Window" menu.

Last edited by petervangalen; Feb 4, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
petervangalen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:36 PM   #8
augustya
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts

Then, click the "+" button. Select Safari as the Application on the Window that pops up. Type Select Previous Tab in the 'Menu Title' field. Then, press command+shift+left to set the shortcut and click 'Add' to save. Click the "+" again and repeat the process for command+shift+right (in this 'Menu Title' field, you will type Select Next Tab).

edit: Just saw you wanted 'option' instead of shift. It will work either way - just replace shift with option in my example.

Pics for reference:
I just tried doing this, setting up shortcut using Option instead of 'command' to switch Tabs but isn't working for me

Last edited by augustya; Feb 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM.
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:03 PM   #9
inaim
macrumors newbie

Worked when using the word "show" not "select"

Augustya, use the word show instead of select like petervangalen suggested and you should be all set up!
inaim is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help