Change keyboard shortcut to switch tabs in Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kmj2318, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Aug 22, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Hi :)

I'm wondering if I can change th keyboard shortcut in Safari from "cmd + shift +[ or ]" to something more easier to perform like "cmd + option + left or right arrow"

Thanks for any help :eek:
  2. Stooby Mcdoobie, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Jun 26, 2012
    Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts

Then, click the "+" button. Select Safari as the Application on the Window that pops up. Type Select Previous Tab in the 'Menu Title' field. Then, press command+shift+left to set the shortcut and click 'Add' to save. Click the "+" again and repeat the process for command+shift+right (in this 'Menu Title' field, you will type Select Next Tab).

edit: Just saw you wanted 'option' instead of shift. It will work either way - just replace shift with option in my example.

Pics for reference:

3. macrumors 6502

Oct 29, 2009
    I didn't even know about that shortcut. I've always used control+tab and control+shift+tab.
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2010
    Didn't know about this knew about the other way (which I never used) But good info to know. Might start using this.
  5. macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2009
    Hi All,

I set up a keyboard shortcutto flip back and forth through my tabs in safari ( apple <- or apple -> ) - however they only work when the tab is empty.
    If i have a web page open in a tab, then when i press my shortcut, it goes 'back' or 'forwards' in the page.

Any ideas on how i can stop this so i can cycle through my tabs as normal?

6. macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2010
    THAT'S the one I wanted - control+tab. THANKS!! :):):)
  7. petervangalen, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2014

Stooby Mcdoobie's post (#2) still works except you have to name the shortcut "Show Previous Tab" and "Show Next Tab", just like under the "Window" menu.
  8. augustya, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2012
    I just tried doing this, setting up shortcut using Option instead of 'command' to switch Tabs but isn't working for me :confused:

9. macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2014
    Worked when using the word "show" not "select"

Augustya, use the word show instead of select like petervangalen suggested and you should be all set up! :)
  10. macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2014
  11. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2015
    Thank you for the great tip ! It was a long time I was looking for it...

I have another indication for those who like me have their system in french. You have to use as a title for menu :
    "Afficher l’onglet précédent" and "Afficher l’onglet suivant" but beware of the apostrophe ! You can't use the keyboard apostrophe because it's not the same unicode character as written in the title of the menu. I found the indication here (, thank you :) ).

So you could try to copy-paste what I have written here as title (but as I am not sure it will work), you can find the right character in the character visualizer. It is called "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK".

Hope it can help french guys around... ;-)