Change keyboard shortcut to switch tabs in Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kmj2318, Sep 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

kmj2318

Hi :)

I'm wondering if I can change th keyboard shortcut in Safari from "cmd + shift +[ or ]" to something more easier to perform like "cmd + option + left or right arrow"

Thanks for any help :eek:

2. Stooby Mcdoobie, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts

Then, click the "+" button. Select Safari as the Application on the Window that pops up. Type Select Previous Tab in the 'Menu Title' field. Then, press command+shift+left to set the shortcut and click 'Add' to save. Click the "+" again and repeat the process for command+shift+right (in this 'Menu Title' field, you will type Select Next Tab).

edit: Just saw you wanted 'option' instead of shift. It will work either way - just replace shift with option in my example.

Pics for reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. macrumors 6502

I didn't even know about that shortcut. I've always used control+tab and control+shift+tab.

4. macrumors 65816

Didn't know about this knew about the other way (which I never used) But good info to know. Might start using this.

5. macrumors regular

Hi All,

I set up a keyboard shortcutto flip back and forth through my tabs in safari ( apple <- or apple -> ) - however they only work when the tab is empty.
    If i have a web page open in a tab, then when i press my shortcut, it goes 'back' or 'forwards' in the page.

Any ideas on how i can stop this so i can cycle through my tabs as normal?

Thanks

6. macrumors newbie

THAT'S the one I wanted - control+tab. THANKS!! :):):)

7. petervangalen, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

macrumors newbie

Update

Stooby Mcdoobie's post (#2) still works except you have to name the shortcut "Show Previous Tab" and "Show Next Tab", just like under the "Window" menu.

8. augustya, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

macrumors 6502a

I just tried doing this, setting up shortcut using Option instead of 'command' to switch Tabs but isn't working for me :confused:

[​IMG]

9. macrumors newbie

Worked when using the word "show" not "select"

Augustya, use the word show instead of select like petervangalen suggested and you should be all set up! :)

10. macrumors newbie

Did the 'Menu Title' change in Yosemite?