Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I moved to the GM release this morning and when my phone came up it could not connect to my home network. I did the following:

- Updated phone to iOS 6 from 5.1.1
- I thought maybe the network settings were messed up so I "forgot" the network and tried again, no luck.
- Reset all network settings, no luck.
- Full restore of iOS 6 and setup as a new phone (no data/apps/etc restored), no luck.
- Removed all encryption on my access point, no luck.

So I then setup a spare access point I had and the iPhone connected right away (even with the same SSID and encryption as my normal home access point). This points to the access point being the problem.

It is not an encryption thing, because it can connect to open, WEP, and WPA2 on my spare access point no prob. It can even connect to my Mini that is performing Internet Sharing no prob. Just not my home access point.

The problematic access point is a Netgear WG102 and before iOS 6 now my iPhone 4S worked great on it. I also have an old 2gen iPod Touch, 1st gen iPad, Macbook Air, Mini etc, etc, etc on the access point with no prob. It's just my iPhone and iOS 6 that can't connect to it. The access point is running the latest firmware and I also reset it back to factory, no luck.

I also changed every setting within the access point (RTS threshold, Frag length, Beacon Interval, DTIM interval, WMM, etc, etc) with no luck. I even matched them to my spare access point that works.

I haven't left the house to try out other wireless networks to see if the phone has a hard time connecting to them or if it's just my Netgear WG102 that is the problem.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I ha a hickup on my ipod touch when installing GM on it. I couldn't get it to recognize my wifi login settings but restarted the phone and got it working that way.

Haven't had any issues with it since.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Yeah, the phone has been restarted multiple times, still no love on the one access point.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
I bet if you reset the access point to factory defaults using the hard reset button it would work. It would just be a pain to set everything up again, but it sounds like it is being a pain to you already.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
astral125 -- I wish you were right. Unfortunately, I just tried a hard reset via the physical button and no change.

Even with the default, out of the box, "Netgear" SSID with no encryption, the iPhone could not join the network.

Any other ideas?

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
Do you have any other wireless device that you try to connect to the access point? Unlikely, but it could have died.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
lpeedin -- the original access point is still operational in my house and servicing my Macbook Air, my wife's laptop, a iPod Touch, a Ipad, a guest laptop, and Mac Mini.

My iPhone also connects to it perfectly if I revert it back to iOS 5.1.1

Needless to say, the access point is working just fine. It's just my iPhone will NOT work on it when running iOS 6.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Does your phone have the same name on the network as before?

Even though you've already reset everything, I'd try changing the phone name and resetting all network settings on the phone one more time.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
killerrobot -- good thought. Unfortunately, no change. This was tested when I put a clean install of iOS 6 on the phone as a new setup (didn't restore any user data/apps). When I did that the name was different.

For giggles I just changed the name again and reset network settings. No luck.

Keep the suggestions coming please :)

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If it's not the name then perhaps the router thinks the MAC address is being copied/spoofed and that's why it won't connect. On the admin side of the router does the phone show up and can you see if it's being blocked for whatever reason?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Along the lines of killerrobot's thinking, does the log of the router show any issues, or anything that would indicate a problem with a device trying to connect or authenticate?

sirxavier

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
Hello, I also have wifi related problems after upgrading to ios 6 gm and an 4s. I am using a time capsule with an airport express and before I could get signal in the garage and the garden, now although the network is still listed on wifi menu with medum signal, it doesn't "connect"... Not sure if our problems are related but it seems there's been some bugs introduced with the update?

rodgui

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
I had the same problem here, but it was solved by doing a full restore.
I noticed that the battery consumption in the GM version is much greater than in beta 4

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
If it's not the name then perhaps the router thinks the MAC address is being copied/spoofed and that's why it won't connect. On the admin side of the router does the phone show up and can you see if it's being blocked for whatever reason?

I have done multiple hard resets on the access point, so if it did have an issue with my MAC that would have gone away with the hard reset.

Along the lines of killerrobot's thinking, does the log of the router show any issues, or anything that would indicate a problem with a device trying to connect or authenticate?

I stood up syslog server just for this reason, but no, the access point did not generate any logs indicating authentication issues.

I had the same problem here, but it was solved by doing a full restore.
I noticed that the battery consumption in the GM version is much greater than in beta 4

I have restored the phone multiple times. Even fresh, start from scratch installs with no user data/apps being put back on. Even during the "setup" part of the phone when it first turns on, I can't join the wireless network.

Okay, one last idea as well that I found on this other thread. Try enabling the WMM support under the Advanced Wireless Settings on the router - they said that fixed it for their iPads.
Netgear Router Manual attached

Thanks, I found that idea elsewhere and tried that as well. No change.

----------------

Ok, this is new news. I had a buddy come over with his 4S and iOS 6.0 and he was NOT able to join the access point either. This is good in that it is not my phone, but bad in that it really points to iOS being the problem (remember, my iPhone has been working on this access point under 5.1.1 for a long time now).

Keep the thoughts/ideas coming!

rafaeleifler

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Just wanted to say I'm having the exact same problem. Hope they fix this in the final version of iOS 6, or else I'm going back to 5.1.1..

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
rafaeleifler -- what make/model WAP are you using?

I still haven't gotten anywhere with it ...

rafaeleifler

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
yerodtr -- I don't even know haha! I'm having this problem in the university, I have no idea what model they're using. Everything's fine with my home network.

geopanich

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
North Carolina
Same problem here. Iphone 4S with iOS 6 GM can connect fine at work to multiple routers and networks, but at home I can't connect to my Netgear WGT624v3. I typically have the SSID hidden, encrypt with WPA2, and limit access by MAC address, but I have changed all three of those features with no luck. All of our other devices—Macbook Pro, Macbook, wife's iPhone 4S w/ iOS 5.1.1, iPad w/ iOS 5.1.1, and my iPhone when I "downgrade" to iOS 5.1.1—can connect with any combination of settings just fine. I also updated my wife's iPhone as a sanity check, and it could not connect either while running iOS 6.

I sure hope this is a non-issue after the public release tomorrow! I figure I'll backup, restore to 5.1.1, then upgrade to 6.0 once it's released and hope for the best.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Wow, it makes me feel 1% better that my case is not an isolated instance. Please post back if you discover a solution or any related information.

I'm not holding my breath that tomorrow's official release is going to help.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Don't expect changes between GM and public release. Will be the same to 99.999678%, approx.

Please cross check the WMM setting once again; that was an issue on an early beta. Works well for me since on all iPad and iPod; didn't yet updated my iP4 though.

yerodtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I would say it is probably related to an incompatibility with Netgear (somehow).

I tried WMM at least a thousand different times in different combinations with other settings. No luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.