Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEATHBYF1RE

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I had this as well. I just updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 6 and it wouldn't connect to my home WiFi. My iMac and my MBP can were without problems. When I tried to connect the 4S to WiFi, Safari popped up with a 404 page saying, "Hmm.. Can't find the page you're looking for." (some WAP connection or something).

Fixed it by clearing Safari's caches and history, then holding the iPhone's sleep button to power it off, waited a bit, then restarted it. Now WiFi's back! Whew!

This solution worked for me... Tried all the other solutions.

Zanshi

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Mine would join the WiFi networks for 30 seconds and then drop off. I read the forums here, and that gave me an idea.

I reset my network settings. Then, I checked my Safari settings and found an option to run tabs in the background. Then, I made sure to disable the ability to run tabs in the background. Next, I cleared my History and Cookies.

I think a bad web page ran in the background and stopped the WiFi from working properly, because it's working just fine now.

geopanich

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
North Carolina
Unfortunately for those of us with the original problem on this thread, there was widespread wifi issues on iOS devices this evening. For those people receiving Safari popups saying "Hmmm..." blah, blah, blah, that was an Apple.com issue and has been fixed. For those with iOS 6.0 who are having trouble connecting to certain wifi access points, but not others, this is the place for you.

I restored to 5.1.1 this morning so I could update to the general release of 6.0 this afternoon. Update went well--connected to wifi at work with no problems--still cannot connect to wifi at home. Like yerodtr, I'm now worried my 5 won't be able to connect on Friday! I've temporarily turned off cellular data to save my rapidly depleting data plan, and am scouring the web for information, but it appears all anyone is talking about is the Apple.com wifi connectivity issue. Hopefully since that was for a very short time, more people with our issue will be heard in the near future.

J3r0my

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I also have a Netgear WG102 Wireless Access Point and updated my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 firmware to iOS 6 today from 5.1.1.

The WG102 is running firmware 5.0.3 which hasn't been updated by NetGear in a very long time and I don't think we'll see another firmware update for this aging device.

At work on a SonicWall 802.11 n network Wireless works for both devices; however, on the WG102 device the iPad 2 connects but the iPHone 4S will not under any configuration.

Although the issue is has been very frustrating this evening I believe it's time to upgrade my router and join the world of 802.11n at home.

WG102 Wireless Router
iPhone 3GS Firmware 5.1.1 - Connects
iPhone 4 Firmware 5.1.1 - Connects
iPad 1 Firmware 5.1.1 - Connects
iPhone 4s Firmware 6.0 - NO
iPad2 Firmware 6.0 - Connects

Options:
1. Give up and purchase a new router
2. Wait for new iOS update and hope it works
3. try to downgrade if possible

I'm going for option 1

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Long reply but I read this on I hacks.

If you’re facing Wi-Fi connectivity issues on your iOS device after upgrading to iOS 6 and you are able to connect other devices to that Wi-Fi network then you can follow these tips to fix the issue:

Hard Reset:

Try the hard reset your iOS device by following these steps:

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
Release the buttons
When the device restarts, try to locate and join the Wi-Fi network again.
Basic Troubleshooting:

Launch Settings app and navigate to Wi-Fi
Tap on the Wi-Fi On/Off toggle to turn it off and then turn it on again
Renew IP Address:

If this doesn’t work then try to renew IP address, which may be required if you are using a larger wireless network.

Tap on the Wi-Fi network that you connect to from the list
Scroll down and tap on the Renew Lease button
Forget This Network:

If renewing IP address doesn’t resolve the issue, try establishing a fresh connection with the Wi-Fi network by using the Forget This Network option. Please note that this will clear your current Wi-Fi network settings, including saved Wi-Fi passwords.

Tap on the Wi-Fi network that you connect to from the list
Tap on the Forget This Network button
You will be prompted with a message that your iOS device will stop automatically joining this network. Tap on the Forget button.
Go back to the list of Wi-Fi networks, try to locate and join the Wi-Fi network again.
Reset Network Settings:

If restarting your iOS device doesn’t resolve the problem then reset all network settings. Please note that this will clear your current cellular and Wi-Fi network settings, including saved networks, Wi-Fi passwords, and VPN settings.

Launch Settings app
Tap General
Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap on Reset
Tap Reset Network Settings
When the iOS device restarts, try to locate and join the Wi-Fi network again.
Update 1:

Added the hard reset option as it seems to resolve the issue for many users. Thanks Eugene for the tip!

Update 2:

Here are some more solutions if it doesn’t work. However, these are more router related so we’re researching on it:

Sometimes changing the security option on the router helps. Try changing the router to WPA or WPA2.
Change the broadcast Channel (e.g. from 3 to 12) on the Router Wireless configuration to see if it helps.
Increase the the number of DHCP users.
Update 3:

Please refer to the comments as some readers have figured out a way to resolve the issue, which may work for you. Thanks everyone!

Update 4:

It looks like most users were affected due to availability issues with Apple’s web page authenticating Wi-Fi network (to check if there isn’t a login wall on your W-Fi network). Once the availability issue was fixed, it seems to have automatically resolved the issue. Thanks to Arnold Kim of MacRumors for providing the details.

mjs-73

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
iOS 6 and WG102

Try this - downgrade the firmware on your WG102 to version 5.0.1. It's available from Netgear and now both my 4s and iPad 3 work have wi-fi again!

I'm waiting to see what happens at work now; I've got 30 points of the same range (WGL102's / WAGL102's)! :eek:

rafaeleifler

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Has anyone figured out a way to fix this without changing anything on the router? I have absolutely no access to the university router so.. I'm kinda screwed.

AceCoolie

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I spent 4 hours on the phone with apple's senior techs and they couldn't fix it. I finally got my iPhone 4 to connect by changing my SSID and switching from WPA2 AES to WPA2 Mixed.

Unfortunately, the next day, my iphone refused to connect again. I think there is definitely issues with wifi in iOS6.

itgtech

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Fix for Apple IOS6 Connectivity on Netgear WG102 Wireless Access Point.

;)Fix for Apple IOS6 Connectivity on Netgear WG102 Wireless Access Point.

I have just been in our boardroom and tried to Join our Guest WIFI and guess what it fails ;-/

WG102 in our main office is fine running firmware V4.0.16

WG102 in boardroom wont connect running firmware V5.0.3 (latest)

I have downgraded ours to V5.0.0 which works and retains all configuration settings.

Non-North USA (UK, Europe etc.)
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WG102/WG102%20Firmware%20Version%205. 0.0%20(All%20regions%20except%20North%20America).zip

North USA
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WG102/WG102%20Firmware%20Version%205. 0.0%20(North%20America).zip

I hope this helps people while Netgear release a firmware update above 5.0.3 to resolve this issue.

Cheers,

Ben.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
As a data point:

I'm running a Linksys E3000 w/ Toastman v1.28.7500.5 MIPSR2Toastman-RT K26 USB VPN firmware.

Router had been flawlessly serving simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz APs for many moons for my three iOS 5.x devices and Mac Mini. Upon upgrading to iOS 6, the two iPhones (which can only connect to 2.4GHz AP), would either connect to the wifi but not have any LAN/WAN connections working or would not connect to the AP at all.

The iPad was also unable to connect to the 2.4GHz AP, however, was able to connect to the 5GHz AP just fine.

Rebooting the router worked maybe one out of five times. Rebooting the iOS devices worked maybe once out of five times. Performing a "forget network" on the iOS devices and then reconnect made no discernible difference. Performing a "reset network settings" on the iOS devices made no discernible difference. Resetting the router to defaults and NVRAM reset made no difference. iOS devices were still unable to connect, even with default wifi AP settings with no encryption.

Finally settled on turning off router's 2.4GHz AP and deploying a Linksys 320N running Toastman v1.28.7497.x firmware as a 2.4GHz AP, and all has been well ever since.

Mac Mini appeared to weather all of this just fine, retained ability to connect to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz APs without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.