Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Oh that's hot!

Now I want it even more as with the speculated A15 (which was the must have feature for me)

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I wonder how this chip is going to compare to the A15. Surely Apple saw significant benefits with going with a fully custom chip, rather than going with the A15, whether these benefits are merely in terms of power consumption remains to be seen.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
This is huge! This will be on the front page soon if its not already.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Well, that's certainly fun. Can't wait to get my A6 powered iPhone 5 in my hands and play with it. Even more so I can't wait until some devs start taking real advantage of that extra processing power.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Where does leave ARM by the way? Do Apple still need to pay them licence fees if they're using a totally custom chip?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Where does leave ARM by the way? Do Apple still need to pay them licence fees if they're using a totally custom chip?

Yes. As the article explains, there are two kinds of licenses. You can license a specific architecture, or a general design to make your own. Apple has both kinds of licenses.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Yes. As the article explains, there are two kinds of licenses. You can license a specific architecture, or a general design to make your own. Apple has both kinds of licenses.

They are still licensing ARM architecture, so yes.
Yeah i saw that part of the article, but i wasn't really very clear on it.

So when/if Apple moves all iOS devices to custom chips, they'll only need to pay the "General design" licence? Or will they still have to pay because they are using ARMs instruction set?

dgreene196

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I'd like to know how this compares with A15.

I think you will have to wait until a SoC with the A15 comes out. Qualcomm has their Krait architecture in some equipment, but it is, is Anand is right (a fair assumption), a custom implementation of parts of the A15 like the A6. Otherwise, everyone else still has A9 cores in their high end products.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think you will have to wait until a SoC with the A15 comes out. Qualcomm has their Krait architecture in some equipment, but it is, is Anand is right (a fair assumption), a custom implementation of parts of the A15 like the A6. Otherwise, everyone else still has A9 cores in their high end products.

I'd like to see how this compares to Krait, actually. I'm glad Apple is taking up the silicon business, but I'm incredulous about their chops at the moment.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Hopefully more people see this. Maybe it'll shut up some of the haters out there.

eezing

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
AnandTech is tech journalism at its finest. Hats off to them!

2x faster with 4G and longer battery life... Hats off to Apple for that.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
So where does that leave the people who said they would only buy the iPhone 5 if it was A15 based?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
This is the ultimate vindication of having total control of software and hardware. What was once ridiculed by Bill Gates and others and has since allowed Apple to tower over Intel and Microsoft, is now going to allow Apple to leverage ever more power and versatility from their products.

As other companies become more dilute Apple becomes more focussed and concentrated.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Hopefully more people see this. Maybe it'll shut up some of the haters out there.

You are a glass half full kinda person! :)

Haters gotta hate.

Honestly, I can't wait to see how this compares and that will allow a apples to apples comparison of "real world" usefulness vs. other phones and the 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.