Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Interesting to know, after seeing all the hands on videos on has fast and smooth it looks, I can't wait to give it a spin myself.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
This will probably destroy the Galaxy S3's processor.

The S3 processor wasn't that much better than the A5, especially in graphics performance.

46304.png

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
This is the ultimate vindication of having total control of software and hardware. What was once ridiculed by Bill Gates and others and has since allowed Apple to tower over Intel and Microsoft, is now going to allow Apple to leverage ever more power and versatility from their products.

As other companies become more dilute Apple becomes more focussed and concentrated.

Frozen concentrated Apple juice!

But wait, how are they towering over Intel and Microsoft exactly? Market Cap? I'm guessing that's what you meant.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is the ultimate vindication of having total control of software and hardware. What was once ridiculed by Bill Gates and others and has since allowed Apple to tower over Intel and Microsoft, is now going to allow Apple to leverage ever more power and versatility from their products.

As other companies become more dilute Apple becomes more focussed and concentrated.

What happens in the long run, though?

Will Apple be able to make continual gains in their chips that match/exceed ARM, or will ARM evolve in another direction that causes them to overtake Apple's own custom chips, and perhaps grow so different that it'll take Apple years to migrate back to the standard chips?

(I haven't a clue what I'm talking about right now... kind of just BSing here.)

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
... Market Cap? I'm guessing that's what you meant.

Yup, the ultimate empirical measure of success. Like the old chestnut about how can you tell which of two types of dope is better. Place a bowl of each in a room full of potheads and whichever bowl goes down first is the best. ;¬)

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
so iPhone 5 will be just short of twice as fast as the S3. Samsung just got F'ed in the B!

harpinred

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Wow, I guess I'm going to be noticing some speed differences between my 4 (which still works perfectly) and my new 5! That graph was pretty startling :)

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Wow, that's surprising...

I recall seeing strong hints that Apple had an ARM architecture license (which would enable it to develop its own cores), but I didn't expect to see them take a step like this so soon. It makes sense though, given the volumes they're shipping...

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
What about an October "newer iPad" with this chip?

Apple won't want to have the old 30-pin connector on the iPad for any longer than necessary. A refresh of the product seems highly likely.

How difficult would it be to put this chip on the current iPad?

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
I remember watching the iPhone 5 keynote thinking "Ohmygod that app opened so quickly. Ohmygod that app closed so smoothly."

I can't wait to feel the speed increase. It may make my iPad feel a bit sluggish.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Apple won't want to have the old 30-pin connector on the iPad for any longer than necessary. A refresh of the product seems highly likely.

How difficult would it be to put this chip on the current iPad?

It's possible. It would also be interesting to see what Apple does if they release an iPad Mini (I'm guessing the A5 that went into the iPod Touch). In any case, one of the advantages of dropping the number from the iPad line is that they can do "quiet" updates whenever they want, just as they do with the Mac line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.