Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

little-pea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
canada
so, genenrally all the songs that i download go into my shared folder. when i open a song into itunes, it makes a copy into my music folder which has my iTunes folder.

so now i have double the songs... and i was just wondering if i deleted my songs from my shared folder, would it affect anything? that way i can also keep track of my newly downloaded songs in the future.

thanks for the help guys!

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
little-pea said:
so, genenrally all the songs that i download go into my shared folder. when i open a song into itunes, it makes a copy into my music folder which has my iTunes folder.

so now i have double the songs... and i was just wondering if i deleted my songs from my shared folder, would it affect anything? that way i can also keep track of my newly downloaded songs in the future.

thanks for the help guys!

LOL i just started a thread on this :)

Gwendolyn

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2005
Massachusetts
little-pea said:

That's exactly what I do, and I haven't had any trouble with the copies of the songs that remain in the iTunes directory (and I just tested it again to be sure, since I had some songs in there I needed to clean out anyway). I do agree that it makes it easier to keep track of which songs you haven't yet imported into iTunes. If you're still nervous about it anyway, you can always try just deleting one or two as a test sample to reassure yourself that they will still stay playable in your iTunes directory. I hope this helps.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
As long as iTunes manages your music library, then yes, you should delete the original file after importing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.