Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macobserver reports that according to one research note, some are expecting Apple to make some major new product announcements at Apple Expo Paris in September 2005.

We believe that Apple is preparing new G5 PowerMacs based on IBM's dual-core 970 PPC, G5 Mac Minis based on a new IBM low-power processor, and new G4 PowerBooks based on next generation processors from Freescale Semiconductors."

This reports provides few details as to the source of these expectations. It may simply be pure speculation or simply regurgitation of circulating unconfirmed rumors.

A previous rumor report did point to updated Powerbooks at the Paris expo. Meanwhile, a dual-core PowerMac G5 is certainly expected after the announcement of Dual Core 970MP processors by IBM back in July.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
A G5 Mini? I find that to be a dubious rumor at best. Maybe if it was a regular mini sandwiched between 2 colosal fans. :)

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
A new powerbook I can see.

A new Powermac is in the realm of possibility.

But a G5 Mac Mini is a little hard to swallow. And it would really suck that a Mac Mini is now more powerful than a Powerbook.

Those Yonah chips can't come soon enough.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
As I stated in other forums/blogs, the G5 Mac mini is highly unlikely because there was just a Mac mini update not even a month ago. The other two rumors *may* happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fishes,
narco.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
yellow said:
A G5 Mini? I find that to be a dubious rumor at best. Maybe if it was a regular mini sandwiched between 2 collosal fans. :)
Low power G5s ... probably between 1.4 and 1.6 GHz. Too little power for the PowerBooks, but would be perfect for the Mac mini.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Well if a G5 did come to the Mini, that would explain the shoddy upgrade that we saw a few weeks ago....

mac_zealot88

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2005
FINALLY!

:) Geez it's about time! We need something for the Powerbook desperatly! Given it's high price tag and slow performance compared to those other desktop replacement PC notebooks! The mini needs to be bundled with a LCD display, maybe a 17 inch one. By the time you configure a mini and get an Apple display it's not woth it, you might as well get an iMac. :cool:

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The G5 mini does indeed sound implausible. On the other hand, the last update wasn't really an update, but rather a repackaging (just more memory and and more built-in wireless stuff, which doesn't take any realy retooling of production). On the other hand, a G5 in a mini does indeed sound overheated, and if this is one of the machines that is supposed to go Intel first, why retool the whole thing twice within a year. Not worth the effort.

Powerbooks, I'd say that's a given, only we may be dissapointed with the result (little speed, no HD, etc.)

Dual Dual? Sounds great. I hope it's true. Five months since the last update (once September rolls around). Not inconceivable.

goof_ball

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2003
Canada
This sounds belivable if Apple did not annouce that they were switching to Intel. I can see the Powermac update being true, but I doubt the dual-core PB will come out.....otherwise Apple should still with PPC!

mrhoratio

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2005
If this rumor is true it would be quite an exciting set of updates. Although, is it really worth buying and of these new updated products, with the imminent MacTel Macs? I suspect a lot of people will hold off buying anything until the Intel chips are in place. For me, and for many Mac enthusiasts, I have to have to latest and greatest. Knowing that Intel Macs are coming out makes me hesitant to buy anything anymore PPC Macs, because it essentially means I would be buying an already outdated computer.

Horatio

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
Well i can wait i suppose. I have 2000 sitting in the bank just waiting to come out and play. The day after the Paris expo, im making a purchase, updates or not.

nomore

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2005
mrhoratio said:
If this rumor is true it would be quite an exciting set of updates. Although, is it really worth buying and of these new updated products, with the imminent MacTel Macs? I suspect a lot of people will hold off buying anything until the Intel chips are in place. For me, and for many Mac enthusiasts, I have to have to latest and greatest. Knowing that Intel Macs are coming out makes me hesitant to buy anything anymore PPC Macs, because it essentially means I would be buying an already outdated computer.

Horatio

Not really. ALL OS X software is PPC based... and G5 speed is very competitive... and ALL OS X software will have a native PPC version for years to come.

AnAppleADay

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2005
Makes for a more interesting Keynote!

I always love to watch the launches of all things Apple. I am quite glad that this Expo will potentially have many neat uptates to hear about. I'm also quite happy that Apple is still working well on their PowerPC products even after the announcement of their major conversion -- though I guess I should I known that they wouldn't have just stopped everything since they are still a ways away from their x86 releases.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Macrumors said:

It may simply be pure speculation or simply regurgitation of circulating unconfirmed rumors.

uuuuuhhhh, riiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:
I think speculation is a perfect observation here.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Dual-Core PowerMacs,
but a G5 mini? Come on, why do that and still have a G4 PowerBook?
Sounds funny to me. :p

ericdano

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
narco said:
As I stated in other forums/blogs, the G5 Mac mini is highly unlikely because there was just a Mac mini update not even a month ago. The other two rumors *may* happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Fishes,
narco.

Update? Oh, you mean instead of shipping with 256Megs of Ram, they put in 512Megs.

Yeah....thats an "update". NOT.

hoppo99

macrumors member
May 8, 2005
London, UK
MacFan782040 said:
Well if a G5 did come to the Mini, that would explain the shoddy upgrade that we saw a few weeks ago....

Shoddy upgrade? It was more of a price drop rather than an upgrade. I think September is probably too soon for a Mac Mini upgrade. Powerbook and PowerMac upgrades are more likely. Both are due something major but I don't think we should hold our breath.

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
mrhoratio said:
Knowing that Intel Macs are coming out makes me hesitant to buy anything anymore PPC Macs, because it essentially means I would be buying an already outdated computer.

Just for reference, the Intel Macs will also be already outdated by the time they ship, because all computers are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.