Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
gekko513 said:
Low power G5s ... probably between 1.4 and 1.6 GHz. Too little power for the PowerBooks, but would be perfect for the Mac mini.

"Low power" chips still ended up in boxes with "heat zones". I just cannot see it happening in a Mini form factor. Prove me wrong Apple!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
narco said:
As I stated in other forums/blogs, the G5 Mac mini is highly unlikely because there was just a Mac mini update not even a month ago.
MacFan782040 said:
Well if a G5 did come to the Mini, that would explain the shoddy upgrade that we saw a few weeks ago....
An interesting difference of opinion. Did the mini update in July preclude new minis next month or were they stalling for time with the last mini update?

Personally, I don't think the previous update had anything to do with a possible G5 mini they may have been working on. They simply updated the mini to keep it current. As a newer member of the Macintosh line, the mini is/was likely to get more frequent updates.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
New powerbooks would be great. I just really hope it is something more than a speed bump. It is obvous they have hit the wall as far as speed goes (for now). If they want to make people happy they better had some extra features.

G5 Mini..... I don't think so.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Wow, this would all be great, but what are the odds all of this would be released at once? And as others have said, having a G5 in a mini, Apple's lowest end model, would not reflect well on the PowerBook, which only has a G4.

So, my guess is new G4 PowerBooks and new G5 dual-core PowerMacs. Guess we'll see, only a month away!

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
I'm hoping the new powerbooks will have improved battery life, especially the 15inch. The new 7448 processor from Freescale seems likely to increase the battery life because it runs cooler (less fan) and uses less power...

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
G5 mini - why not?

A G5 mini with 1GB memory and improved graphics is an obvious evolution of the mini. Assuming the rumors are correct and the IBM chip will be low power there should be every reason this is a possibility. If Apple expects the mini to continue in the product line it must make the system appealing to current Apple customers as a primary computer. I am a recent switcher from Windows. I would probably not have switched if I wasn't hooked by the mini. I had problems with the display I had used with my Windows machine, so I eventually purchased a Apple 20" Cinema Display. Now if I had to do it all over again I would probably buy a Powerbook. However, now that I have an expensive display ($799), if I want more power, the only choice is a Power Mac. I don't want a tower and I don't want to spend that much money. So, if Apple did truly upgrade the mini as I suggest, I would buy it in a minute.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
a faster better pb yes
a faster better pm yes
a faster better mini? with a G5?!?!? come on, they would at least put a G5 in a PB first, and THAT isnt happening so how on earth would they cram a G5 in a mini?!!!!

D'oh...

...and my dual 2.7 GHz was ordered over a week ago (still hasn't gone to manufacturing). Oh well, I won't complain. At least I saved over $600 with NC tax free weekend and educational pricing!

I doubt there will be dual core Power Macs at Paris because I think that's too early for an update. Realistically, I think dual cores will come at MWSF. From what I hear, the 970MPs at the same clock speeds are hotter than the current 970FX, I'm not sure if this is correct. But if it is, then we probably will see "slower" dual cores at start, perhaps doing the 2004 `lineup' in dual core, i.e. dual-dual 1.8, 2.0, 2.5 or something like that.

I could be wrong. I have been wrong (yeah, I was the one who predicted G5 PowerBooks at Paris 2003 :\).

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
yellow said:
A G5 Mini? I find that to be a dubious rumor at best. Maybe if it was a regular mini sandwiched between 2 colosal fans. :)

OK, maybe 1 colossal fan. :)

[SHOUTS]It's WHISPER quiet![/SHOUTS]

Attachments

• MeetTheNewG5Mini.jpg
    MeetTheNewG5Mini.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 220

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Dual CPU Dual Core's? :)

That would work pretty well, as a single CPU with Dual Cores could replace the lower end PowerMacs... maybe add a few more options (like a replacement for the Single CPU G5 1.8?).

Mini with a G5 hmmm would be cool if they could get most of the current macs on G5's.

A new product to fit between the iMac and PowerMac would be welcome. Looking at the range myself that would help me make a choice a lot sooner, if there was a headless 'upgradable' G5 that didnt cost a bomb and also catered to small form factors. Sort of a Mac Midi XD

plastique45

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
nomore said:
Not really. ALL OS X software is PPC based... and G5 speed is very competitive... and ALL OS X software will have a native PPC version for years to come.

Yes.

The pro machines won't be switched to Intel until Intel has a good 64-bit chip, hence the 2007 (2 year) timeframe. When the PowerMac Intel comes out in 2007, it will take at least 3 years if not more before a majority of high end users have completed the switch. That means that for AT LEAST 5 years or more, PPC-based apps will be a given, since most customers will have one.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
G5 mini? no, Now a g5 cube! Seems to me that when the mini came out apple was doing everything they could to avoid comparison to the cube.
Maby they plan to reserect the cube....

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Some possible, some not

New Powerbooks - Definetly. But with the Freescale chip? Maybe, maybe not. These will go Intel in the first half of 2006 (WWDC?).

New Power Macs - Could happen, In fact I have a hunch it will at some point. These aren't supposed to go Intel until early '07, so we'll probably see these eventually.

New Mac minis - haha NO. We just had an update, and when a Mac mini is more powerful than a Powerbook, something is wrong. These will go Intel before the end of '06.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
mac_zealot88 said:
:) The mini needs to be bundled with a LCD display, maybe a 17 inch one. By the time you configure a mini and get an Apple display it's not woth it, you might as well get an iMac. :cool:

1. Not a chance they combine a monitor with the mini, thats the entire point of it, keep it a cheap headless mac so PC switchers can use there own and old monitor and keyboard

2. Who said you need to use an ACD, i don't think anyone has ever said you have to, but your right if you were required by law to get one and spend 499 or 599 plus 799 for a monitor then yes you should get an iMac

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
plastique45 said:
Yes.

The pro machines won't be switched to Intel until Intel has a good 64-bit chip, hence the 2007 (2 year) timeframe. When the PowerMac Intel comes out in 2007, it will take at least 3 years if not more before a majority of high end users have completed the switch. That means that for AT LEAST 5 years or more, PPC-based apps will be a given, since most customers will have one.
Thats what I thought when I went in to buy my PB recently....they cannot be updating the PPC line now and expect people to switch completely in a shorter timeframe than that......

Sox

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
miketcool said:
G5 mini might compliment my powerbooks current mate, an enormous 21 inch CRT that could use its own computer...

Exactly. Me and my 23incher would be all over that like s--- on velcro.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I call BS on this rumor:

G5 Mac Minis based on a new IBM low-power processor

Something is coming in January. We don't know what but something x86 based. I would stake my life on it. The first products won't be high end ones with the exception of the PowerBooks because they are in such dire need of an update.
But lets forget the high-end stuff for a second. The non pro-consumer grade hardware will be the first to move over. Why? Simple. The average Mac Mini Windows switcher is using the mini for the basics. Which means a good % of the people buying a mini aren't going to be looking for high end apps to run on it. High end apps that prob won't be converted yet. So I'm calling BS on at least that aspect to that rumor. The very first products to move to x86 will be the Mac Mini, eMac (If they don't just discontinue it altogether), and the PowerBook. Those in some fashion or another will make an appearance 1H of 2006. If I believe in nothing else I believe in that.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
swissmann said:
I want to see some sort of HD burner in the PowerMacs. May be too soon but hopeful anyway.

Are HD/BluRay burners even out at all yet? I haven't really been keeping on top of those developments as of late...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.