Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple noted on Friday that it was "blown away" by demand for the iPhone 5, and today AT&T tells MacRumors that the iPhone 5 broke sales records over the weekend. AT&T customers ordered more iPhone 5 models than any previous iPhone, breaking records both for first day preorders and for the whole weekend.
AT&T set a sales record with iPhone 5 over the weekend, making it the fastest-selling iPhone the company has ever offered. Customers ordered more iPhones from AT&T than any previous model, both on its first day of preorders and over the weekend.
NewImage27.png

It has become tradition for Apple to "sell out" of iPhones during its pre-order period. It did so for the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4S, and now the iPhone 5.

In June 2010, Apple announced that it took 600,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4, a number that was "far higher" than the company anticipated and one that resulted in server issues for both Apple and its carrier partners. In October 2011, Apple had a much smoother pre-order process, taking 1,000,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4S.

If Apple follows its usual protocol, the company should announce pre-order numbers in a press release later today.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Pre-Orders Set New Sales Record for AT&T

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Given that the iPhone 5 is arguably the least significant update the iPhone has had, I'm really surprised. I know pre-orders sold out globally within just over an hour, but without knowing what availability was compared to other pre-releases, that didn't really mean a thing. However, to hear this from AT&T, especially as they no longer have the monopoly on iPhone in the US, leaves me somewhat staggered by the fact that there's still so many people out there (me included!) throwing their money at the iPhone 5. I really thought this launch would be so much quieter compared to earlier ones.

SG457

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
"Ugly"? "Not innovative"? "End of Apple"? Not sure about that.
But this is the big thing.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Given that the iPhone 5 is arguably the least significant updates the iPhone has had, I'm really surprised. I know pre-orders sold out globally within just over an hour, but without knowing what availability was compared to other pre-releases, that didn't really mean a thing. However, to hear this from AT&T, especially as they no longer have the monopoly on iPhone in the US, leaves me somewhat staggered by the fact that there's still so many people out there (me included!) throwing their money at the iPhone 5.
That's a typo... right?

:rolleyes:

iKing7

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
This iPhone is comparable to the release of the iPhone 3G, they're best upgrade prior. Changing of network speed is the biggest upgrade you could ask for. If people don't buy it it asap, they'll be sure to get one when they see how fast their friends navigate websites and network apps.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
That's a typo... right?

:rolleyes:

Of course it is, since you already have it and have used it, right? :rolleyes:

Nope, I did say 'arguably', and I'm looking at it from the point of view of the average iPhone buyer who's swayed by things like Siri, a compass and camera megapixels, not the minority (like us) who judge updates on RAM and processor specs. To the average iPhone buyer, iPhone 5 = taller screen and nice shiny metal back IMHO.

Last edited:

TheAppleGeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
St. Louis
This iPhone is comparable to the release of the iPhone 3G, they're best upgrade prior. Changing of network speed is the biggest upgrade you could ask for. If people don't buy it it asap, they'll be sure to get one when they see how fast their friends navigate websites and network apps.

Couldn't agree more.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Nope, I did say 'arguably', and I'm looking at it from the view of the average iPhone buyer who's swayed by things like Siri, a compass and megapixels, not the minority (like us) who judge updates on RAM and processor specs. To the average iPhone buyer, iPhone 5 = taller screen and nice shiny metal back IMHO.
It's like you're speaking Chinese. Sorry, I'm not following you. We're not talking about what Average Joe thinks about phones... the iPhone 5 is a very significant upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.