Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Except that, given the first benchmark results, the iPhone 5 almost trippled the hardware speeds in comparison to the 4S and features a new design.

The 3G didn't feature much more compared to the classic except 3G. So it's actually not comparable and this release is much bigger. But still, haters gonna hate...

I for myself can't wait for Friday to arrive :)

I was about to post the same except then I realized the 3G also added a real GPS chip. And well, I would not have even turned my head to look at it if it weren't for the GPS on it (seriously, I was very closed minded about it and the fact it had GPS tempted me enough to get over that).

Also, Edge speeds are so slow that I do think 3G was a pretty big upgrade honestly. I mean I wouldn't find a phone so useful that was always getting edge speeds (judging from the few times I get them).

But... I am not sure I'd say the 3G was the biggest upgrade (not counting the 5 ;) ). It didn't increase speed and it made the phone get out of date very quickly. I mean Apple was proven right that they should have gimped iOS 4 for it and honestly, people ended up complaining that Apple should have just made it incompatible cause what they did allow it to do it still ran badly. And that was only the third OS. Every phone since then has been able to at least run three (or more in the case of the 3GS) OS's fine.

There is definitely merit to a good speed (and not just network) increase. The 5 may not have any standout new features (like GPS), oh wait it does, people are just ignoring it (and honestly, I meant to make the argument it did not have standout features and then realized that yes it does have some standout features, they just are just things people are taking for granted). Ignoring the larger screen the screen also has a better color gamut and is true to colors as well as changing the screen technology so that the touch screen is right on the display which I hear makes for a more crisp image and better touch sensitivity. It's got a faster processor (significantly faster and it shows, unlike the 4 which got a faster processor but because of increase in resolution didn't really show so well), more RAM (needs it imho), better wi-fi, LTE (which I myself was yawning at until people finally explained how much faster it is than 3G)... so yes, it does have some decent upgrades.

Yeah... the 5 is a lot bigger upgrade than people are giving it credit for (a helluva lot bigger than the 3G). It's just its upgrades are in things people take for granted (how nice the screen looks, how fast it runs). There's no new outstanding toy feature (like Siri or GPS <- which is useful but it is something people would consider a new feature without having to argue with them, or even NFC or wireless charging). And that's why people are complaining and people are still buying. Cause it's the tech geeks like us who like nifty new features who are complaining (I'm not but I can't count myself out as a gadget lover) but the people who are buying just want a better overall phone (as one article put it, ti doesn't have to have new features, it has to be a better iphone and it does exactly that).

Edit: I forgot to add battery life upgrade.... yeah, that is a really good one too (increasing speed and battery life, that's pretty damned cool).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Apple could have just made an iPhone 4GS with a couple added features over the iPhone 4S and the same thing would have happened. It sells mainly because it's an iPhone.

Next years iPhone 5S will beat this one even if they only make a couple tiny changes. Apple can't lose and hopefully they will use that fact to grow the profitability of this line.

I think you're mistaken if you think Apple can't lose. They can.

The problem is that some people don't understand that the average user (customer) doesn't know or care how much RAM their phone has, or what kind of processor, or whether the screen is AMOLED or Super AMOLED, or whether LTE is "true" 4G.

The average consumer cares about ease of use. They care about benefits (Transformers looks awesome on this thing!) not features (1136x640-resolution display at 326 ppi with 800:1 contrast ratio).

Apple understands this.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Do not count me in on this "AT&T breaks records." I absolutely abhor, hate, despise, etc, AT&T. I'm paying a termination fee on my "unlimited" plan tomorrow, and switching over to simple mobile or straight talk. I rather pay for the iphone in FULL or not at all, than be under AT&T or Verizon's hands for another 2 years. At the end of the 2 years, it's about $900 just in savings even if you pay full price for the phone. Those $900 can go towards upgrading the phone yearly and the freedom from a sucky carrier.

Keita123

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
So...what happened to this iPhone5 is a disappointment ? and people won't buy it?? These socalled pundit .,, must be slitting their wrists right now.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So...what happened to this iPhone5 is a disappointment ? and people won't buy it?? These socalled pundit .,, must be slitting their wrists right now.

Nothing has happened. We are talking pre-orders here. All these people who pre-ordered have not even seen a phone. Nor were they able to read a single review. They will be disappointed later when they get a phone :p It's quite a sad state of affairs when millions of people buy a gadget only because Apple told them to.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
I guess I will be one of the seldom few that buys the 5s when it comes out with even better improvements and hopefully still a larger screen. It could have been made with 1/4" on the side as well.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
you would have to be crazy to sign up with ATT, i just left after 7 years of misery with them. its no wonder consumer reports ranks them last in every category including prepaid.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
you would have to be crazy to sign up with ATT, i just left after 7 years of misery with them. its no wonder consumer reports ranks them last in every category including prepaid.

Agreed man. I'm leaving ATT and not returning. EVER. No iPhone 5 for me now. Rather pay in full, but it's not that much of a change "for me" from iPhone 4 so I'm skipping upgrades until my phone is done for.

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I started preordering at 11:57, right at midnight and about 90% done, the site went down and I was refreshing till 1am. I finally managed to order when the cat woke me up at 3:30.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.