Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karsal

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
While I was downloading iOS 6 earlier, I read all kinds of negative nit-picking reviews about iOS 6 like "it's a huge download" and "Maps app is a disaster."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! It's flawless! I haven't noticed a single negative 5.1, the Maps app works perfectly, and I LOVE the additions they've made.

It's time for people to stop whining and crying about everything Apple releases in hopes of being the next Apple-gate!

</rant>

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
It's part of the drama lama machine that apple and their fans created. :rolleyes:

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
I think my iPad 3 with ios6 is having battery problems . Might have to create a seperate thread for this

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I dont know about maps, but I love iOS 6 on my iphone 4. It seems quicker, and the home button problems I've been having are gone.

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Because the typical consumer nowadays is a spoiled brat who complains about a slight color change in the dial pad of his smartphone.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Because it sucks.

Mind to add more details ?

I'm quite happy with iOS6; specially the more detailed control in privacy setting as now I can use FB app without being scared they graphic my adress book ...

That, and Siri, and many other little tweaks ...

To OP: no whining here, happy camper ...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I think my iPad 3 with ios6 is having battery problems . Might have to create a seperate thread for this

You're joking, right? Please don't be one of those people who post that they are having battery issues within 2 hours of downloading. You will get bashed to no end. give it a week before making any assumptions.

And ill bet that the reason is because since downloading iOS 6, you've been playing on the iPad more then normal tonight. And thats the reason for the battery drain. Other then that, there is no possible way to determine any negative effects on battery in the 1st few hours. Cmon now.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
While I was downloading iOS 6 earlier, I read all kinds of negative nit-picking reviews about iOS 6 like "it's a huge download" and "Maps app is a disaster."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! It's flawless! I haven't noticed a single negative 5.1, the Maps app works perfectly, and I LOVE the additions they've made.

It's time for people to stop whining and crying about everything Apple releases in hopes of being the next Apple-gate!

</rant>

Because you're on the wrong board.

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
As a person who used to rely on transit directions, I really dislike the new Maps app...not sure why they would release it without any kind of replacement. The rest of the the OS is great. :)

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
4S is running iOS 6 smooth as butter. iMessage is faster, Safari is faster, phone as a whole is faster. Love Panoramic mode. Still getting used to the App Store.

But all in all, iOS 6 has improved my 4S.

Will do battery tests tomorrow.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

</rant>

I for one welcome Apple's hard decision to drop Google Maps and go with their own.

I do want a turn by turn navigation for free and there is no way in hell Google will let Apple build the frontend Turn by Turn with Google Map backend service. No way in hell... It's a simple business decision.

So this is for the greater cause that Apple became independent and slowly add missing features to Apple Maps such as public transport etc.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
People will whine about anything and everything. Geez, give it a rest already. Don't like it, go to Android or Windows Phone. Otherwise, quit yer bitchin! :)

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
too much whining, this happens every IOS Release, of course their will be issues and they will be fixed as you go , they will push updates to fix glitches, nothing is perfect people like to whine, I mean they already knew this was going to happen, they just wanted someone to whine about and a thread/s to start on MR

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I think there are two problems that go hand in hand.

1) People don't understand what the update brought.
- - Look at all the complaints about how passbook doesn't work because people thought they were going to be able to just take a picture of their grocery store card. People also thought that it was going to be millions of companies involved
- - A) Part of that is because they don't understand how Apple does things.

2) People's perspective is short sighted. It's much like the dock connector or the new Maps. They both suck because you have to change the way you were doing things. I am with people when they upset about the transit not being included in the new Maps. It sucks. But like EVERY SINGLE thing with the iPhone its a slow rolling process. Anyone remember the first iPhone didn't have Apps (well they did have mobile apps). Anyone remember that apps didn't run in the background at first. Copy and paste? etc. etc. And they all sucked not having them they really did. It just takes time. It's how this company works. Every update has brought great things that we have been begging for and brought just as many complaints for things that changed or were tweaked. And sometimes things need to be broken down, stripped and cleaned, only to be built back and raised into awesomeness.

Passbook and Maps will grow through the developer community and apple updates to be the apps that we all hoped for.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I think there are two problems that go hand in hand.

1) People don't understand what the update brought.
- - Look at all the complaints about how passbook doesn't work because people thought they were going to be able to just take a picture of their grocery store card. People also thought that it was going to be millions of companies involved
- - A) Part of that is because they don't understand how Apple does things.

2) People's perspective is short sighted. It's much like the dock connector or the new Maps. They both suck because you have to change the way you were doing things. I am with people when they upset about the transit not being included in the new Maps. It sucks. But like EVERY SINGLE thing with the iPhone its a slow rolling process. Anyone remember the first iPhone didn't have Apps (well they did have mobile apps). Anyone remember that apps didn't run in the background at first. Copy and paste? etc. etc. And they all sucked not having them they really did. It just takes time. It's how this company works. Every update has brought great things that we have been begging for and brought just as many complaints for things that changed or were tweaked. And sometimes things need to be broken down, stripped and cleaned, only to be built back and raised into awesomeness.

Passbook and Maps will grow through the developer community and apple updates to be the apps that we all hoped for.

look...we're not building a democracy here where there's a long process that takes time and patience. the iphone is a product that until now, had a feature that we all used and for the most part loved. apple took that feature away hoping that we'd be patient enough to keep quiet until they get it up and running correctly.

apple maps is flawed. i had to find a school tonight that's only 2 miles away from my house. in chicago. apple maps had no clue on how to find it. and even if it had found it, it couldn't provide directions on how to get there via public transportation.

so...i had to ask my wife for her phone with the old OS on it. please tell me how my user experience has improved with this update. if it hasn't, then perhaps one of the world's biggest and most profitable companies has made a mistake.

i like the rest of the improvements. the FB integration is fantastic. and i love the panorama photo option. etc. etc. but please don't tell me that the maps is a work in progress and that i should be patient until it works as well as it did on the two previous iterations of the iphone that i had.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
AT least most of the threads that 'whine' have constructive criticism....this thread has nothing useful at all.

lFAcS.png

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
look...we're not building a democracy here where there's a long process that takes time and patience. the iphone is a product that until now, had a feature that we all used and for the most part loved. apple took that feature away hoping that we'd be patient enough to keep quiet until they get it up and running correctly.

apple maps is flawed. i had to find a school tonight that's only 2 miles away from my house. in chicago. apple maps had no clue on how to find it. and even if it had found it, it couldn't provide directions on how to get there via public transportation.

so...i had to ask my wife for her phone with the old OS on it. please tell me how my user experience has improved with this update. if it hasn't, then perhaps one of the world's biggest and most profitable companies has made a mistake.

i like the rest of the improvements. the FB integration is fantastic. and i love the panorama photo option. etc. etc. but please don't tell me that the maps is a work in progress and that i should be patient until it works as well as it did on the two previous iterations of the iphone that i had.

But why wouldn't you download the many transit apps or Waze or use the maps.google.com trick? I mean you are on MacRumors. It's not like Maps or the doc connector is a big surprise. I'm not saying this doesn't suck nor am I saying you aren't right. Just confused how many people who are treating Maps like it's the ONLY app to use for directions. Does it suck that its not all integrated into one like Google Maps. Yes!

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009

</rant>

Have you not used Maps in the UK? It's almost useless. Not just because of the black and white aerial photos but because A roads aren't named.

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2012/09/19/uk-maps-in-ios-6-one-word-rubbish/

If you don't see a problem you're blind, friend.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Would be nice if my iPhone 4 could update. But instead I keep getting errors and I have tried to do it threw iTunes and from the phone.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
They both suck because you have to change the way you were doing things.

When I'm looking for a random store/location while driving and it doesn't list (for example) a Walmart that's .5 miles away from my house...at least I know that Walmart's there and my Map is wrong. What do I do when I really need it and it's still wrong?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
This happens every time something new is released. The people who hate stuff are THE LOUDEST on here. As you have noticed, a good number of them detail it with such reviews as "it sucks."

It's hard to match the iOS 5 changes, which included freakin' iCloud. Or we had iOS 4, which meant iPhone apps starting on the new Retina display. That was a BFD.

Maps has its glitches, just as every maps app I have used, be it free or $40. And of course on launch day these are obviously 100 percent finished products that will never be updated.

I'm mildly disappointed that 100 apps don't support passbook yet, but it will happen. I'm really really hoping that more stores start letting us use that instead of carrying around 5,000 rewards cards. I created a new one for Walgreens even though I didn't have one before. Now I have one and it's on my phone. I'm waiting, CVS, Kroger, Ingles, PetSmart, Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy and everyone else.

Just head over to the iPhone forum on Friday. There will be 30 threads on yellow tint per hour and probably 800 over the day of people whose phone ERMAHGERD DIDN'T ARRIVE YET!

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
But why wouldn't you download the many transit apps or Waze or use the maps.google.com trick? I mean you are on MacRumors. It's not like Maps or the doc connector is a big surprise. I'm not saying this doesn't suck nor am I saying you aren't right. Just confused how many people who are treating Maps like it's the ONLY app to use for directions. Does it suck that its not all integrated into one like Google Maps. Yes!

That's a good thoughtful and responsible response. I'd just say that not only did we lose a great deal of functionality, we also lost a tool that accurately let us know where things are and how to get there. Which is really everything a map is supposed to do.

For those claiming that we just need to learn how to use a new tool, I would suggest reading all of the articles and the threads regarding the huge amounts of missing and innacurate data.

I searched for two things tonight. A grocery store 2 blocks away and a public school 2 miles away. Not only could it not find them, it couldn't have given me instructions on how to get there on a bus....something the same piece of hardware had no problem doing 5 hours ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.