Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Just because its a free update doesn't mean we shouldn't expect a good service. We have all spent large amounts of cash on our iPads and iPhones and expect the best, that's why we chose apple in the first place. The maps are a disaster (in the uk at least) the App Store is full of bugs and passbook has 1 app! Facebook intergration was always going to happen and works well and that's the main difference iv seen so far. The rest is just the same as iOS5

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I think those folks complaining about iOS 6 should ask for their money back.

Oh wait...

Fair enough, that's £130 upfront plus two years at £35... That's £970.

If Apple give me a cheque for £970, you're right, I'll stop thinking iOS6 is a complete disaster.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
While I was downloading iOS 6 earlier, I read all kinds of negative nit-picking reviews about iOS 6 like "it's a huge download" and "Maps app is a disaster."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! It's flawless! I haven't noticed a single negative 5.1, the Maps app works perfectly, and I LOVE the additions they've made.

It's time for people to stop whining and crying about everything Apple releases in hopes of being the next Apple-gate!

</rant>

Oh do shut up. Maps is horrendous and the redesigned App Store is awful.

So that's two core elements of iOS 6 that are borked in millions of users eyes. People have a right to complain if they are not happy.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Complaining about the workings of something that is completely free really shows the lack of respect to those people who work day and night to make that product work for everyone on every device. Will it be perfect? No, because every system and every app is a work-in-progress. It will never be complete until every customer on this planet stops reporting an issue.

Lack of respect? Are you joking? I'm a consumer, they are a business. I don't worry about showing a lack of respect if McDonalds give me undercooked fries, or a cinema shows the wrong film. I won't be rude, but I won't shy from pointing out that the experience has been unsatisfactory and I'd like my money back.

Thankfully I was able to downgrade to 5.1.1 (which is great) so no damage done, but iOS6 is a poor poor offering. That I like apple, or that they've given me good service or products in the past doesn't change that. They aren't providing these services to me out of the goodness of their heart, but because they want the money in my wallet through continued use and purchase of new hardware and software. I've no intention of moving to android, but stop pretending consumers owe apple anything. We don't.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I finally get the criticism levelled at a certain type of apple fanatic. This talk about whining, lack of respect and ingratitude is simply amazing. These people have crossed the line from being consumers to being lovers in the interpersonal sense of the word. They forgive their lover's mistakes, are blind to their lover's failings, and are hurt by critism of their lover. Their lover can do no wrong and those who don't agree with them and their lover are the enemy.

Weird and creepy. I think I'll be giving macrumors a wide berth for a while.:(

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I finally get the criticism levelled at a certain type of apple fanatic. This talk about whining, lack of respect and ingratitude is simply amazing. These people have crossed the line from being consumers to being lovers in the interpersonal sense of the word. They forgive their lover's mistakes, are blind to their lover's failings, and are hurt by critism of their lover. Their lover can do no wrong and those who don't agree with them and their lover are the enemy.

Weird and creepy. I think I'll be giving macrumors a wide berth for a while.:(

To be honest, I suspect these people wouldn't forgive an actual lover's foible's so readily.

It's more like a total failure of critical faculties.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Thankfully I was able to downgrade to 5.1.1 (which is great) so no damage done, [...]
After this week, that won't be possible.

One of the MAJOR things that bugs me about Apple's iOS software policies: they can and WILL block downgrades.

-- Nathan

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'll forget about all the problems I'm having with maps because it works for you!

Next time the app sends me in the wrong direction from where I actually want to go, I'll just stop and think, "Ah well, at least it works well for karsal." Next time the app tells me that a skyscraper is actually a petrol station, and I used my last itty bit of fuel getting there, I'll just think, "At least karsal is enjoying the update."

Maybe if Apple sends a mass email to all of its' customers saying "Hey guys, it works for karsal" there will be less outrage.

:rolleyes:

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Because we have an excess of people who can not adapt to any change in their lives. If we waited on them progress would grind to a halt. Ignore them.

majuha

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Barcelona
Well, maybe some people believed Tim Cook when he said it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread.

"In IOS6, we have built a brand new mapping solution from the ground up. And it is beautiful... World wide effort... Beautiful, beautiful maps".

Sounded like a finished product, didn't it?

Stupid them.

He wouldn't say what they have built is crap, would he? :)

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Because we have an excess of people who can not adapt to any change in their lives. If we waited on them progress would grind to a halt. Ignore them.

There are also an excess of people who will welcome any change if Apple make it. Even if it's a bad idea, or just poorly executed.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Fair enough, that's £130 upfront plus two years at £35... That's £970.

If Apple give me a cheque for £970, you're right, I'll stop thinking iOS6 is a complete disaster.

Only if you buy a new phone. It's available for free on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPod Touch...

DjDoc30

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
iphone 4 problem

Would be nice if my iPhone 4 could update. But instead I keep getting errors and I have tried to do it threw iTunes and from the phone.

ive had no problem at all updating the wifes iphone 4 to the new iOS 6 same with my iphone 4s no problem iam awaiting the iphone the wife will be getting my 4s and iam selling the iphone 4 if your having problems installing just back your iphone 4 and do a factory reset then it will install the new ios 6 then all you need to do then is install your back up job done this happened to a friend of mine

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Only if you buy a new phone. It's available for free on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPod Touch...

No it isn't. I paid £970 for an iPhone 4 with future software updates that included Google Maps.

It most certainly isn't free - Apple even justified charging iPod Touch users for iOS upgrades on the basis that they accounted for iPhone customers paying for their software upgrades upfront in the cost of the phone and tarriff kickbacks.

You're flat out wrong here.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
No it isn't. I paid £970 for an iPhone 4 with future software updates that included Google Maps.

It most certainly isn't free - Apple even justified charging iPod Touch users for iOS upgrades on the basis that they accounted for iPhone customers paying for their software upgrades upfront in the cost of the phone and tarriff kickbacks.

You're flat out wrong here.

You didn't have to upgrade, you knew about the Apple Maps before you upgraded, and if it had been a deal breaker you wouldn't have upgraded. Unless you buy an iPhone 5, iOS 6 is a purely optional update.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I think those folks complaining about iOS 6 should ask for their money back. Oh wait...

^^ this. Hey I understand that to some iOS6 and some of the changes including maps isn't what they want or doesn't work for them. I'm confused however as the upgrade is not manditory, there were plenty of posts here about it potentially not being as good as iOS5 so why would they upgrade and bring these issues upon themselves?

Yeah, because who cares if they removed features and replaced maps with a significantly worse data set. Oh, maps happen to be OK near where you live? That doesn’t make what they have done acceptable.

Again, the upgrade is/was optional.

Sorry that I haven’t been brainwashed into thinking that Apple can do no wrong. It is not a good strategic decision if you cannot offer a comparable alternative.

I don't think anyone is brainwashed, they are just not impacted the same as others and see an optional upgrade as exactly that. Perhaps so many of the people who don't see value in the upgrade should have waited to do it. What role do they play in pushing the upgrade button?

----------

Flawless lol.
Try the App Store, this company can't even fix a button (refer to the ''more reviews" button)

works fine on my 4s and iP3 under iOS 6. :confused:

----------

I don't deny that it's a good thing to move away from Google Maps, but Apple shouldn't have done so until they were more capable than they are currently. If it takes (for example) 5 years to get to the level Google Maps are, they should have worked on it for 5 years and then released it. There's no excuse for dumping a substandard application on users that makes the user experience worse!

I disagree. They have the maps app at a point where it does function and to continue to support a competitors app in their OS makes less sense every day they continue to do so. They haven't "dumped" anything on users. Those users chose themselves to move from iOS5. They did so why? Were there other upgrades potentially that they wanted? If so did they value those upgrades more than their perceived drawbacks on the new maps? Must have if they pushed the upgrade button still.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
You didn't have to upgrade, you knew about the Apple Maps before you upgraded, and if it had been a deal breaker you wouldn't have upgraded. Unless you buy an iPhone 5, iOS 6 is a purely optional update.

I did have to upgrade as my 4 died on launch day unfortunately and the replacement had 6 pre-installed.

But even then, there is no such thing as an "optional" upgrade - iOS6 contains critical security fixes that aren't rolled out to older browsers. iOS 5.1.1 has significant security problems enabling the entire device to be compromised, and critical apps are already beginning to note that they will no longer work with pre-iOS6 APIs.

The iOS ecosystem breaks extremely quickly if updates aren't installed.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Well, maybe some people believed Tim Cook when he said it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread.

"In IOS6, we have built a brand new mapping solution from the ground up. And it is beautiful... World wide effort... Beautiful, beautiful maps".

Sounded like a finished product, didn't it?

Stupid them.

it's always and forever will be a buyer-beware market. that cautious approach doesn't go away just because we're talking about something Apple created.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
They haven't "dumped" anything on users. Those users chose themselves to move from iOS5. They did so why? Were there other upgrades potentially that they wanted? If so did they value those upgrades more than their perceived drawbacks on the new maps? Must have if they pushed the upgrade button still.

So you're saying that all iOS users worldwide read tech forums and so could choose whether or not it was worth the upgrade? Even assuming there was much information about how bad it is, which there was not, because of the NDA before release. Or is it far more likely in fact that most users will not have known anything about it before the upgrade, except maybe for reading the Apple website saying how great the new Maps was? Or maybe just clicked the upgrade button when told there was one available, trusting that Apple would not seriously screw up an existing app in the process? If your argument is that everything is fine because everyone could have made a reasoned choice about upgrading, you're deluded.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Just because its a free update doesn't mean we shouldn't expect a good service. We have all spent large amounts of cash on our iPads and iPhones and expect the best, that's why we chose apple in the first place.

You're correct in that the "experience" is what Apple's success has come from. My only comment is that I've surfed this forum for more than one upgrade and none have been perfect or utopia for all and thus why some many continue to make the leap in upgrades without believing there's a chance for less than stellar experiences is beyond me. Cautiousness still needs to be had. No one forced the update onto those complaining of iOS 6 vs 5.1 People saw complaints weeks ago and new pushing that button meant they were agreeing to it. Accept what they have already or move back to v5.1 if need be.

----------

So you're saying that all iOS users worldwide read tech forums and so could choose whether or not it was worth the upgrade?

I'm quoting and speaking to all those here who do. How about we address those first then move to others. However before we address all the others, don't they too have the need to understand something prior to making the move too? what role do they have in making such a decision to press the upgrade button or making the leap to a brand new iP5 ?

Even assuming there was much information about how bad it is, which there was not, because of the NDA before release. Or is it far more likely in fact that most users will not have known anything about it before the upgrade, except maybe for reading the Apple website saying how great the new Maps was?

there were countless threads/posts here on MacRumors about potential issues and dislikes about iOS6 and maps. Heck, I don't even care about the maps application and I still read through them to see what the fuss was about. I read all the time about how great upgrades are going to be and website cheering for this that and the other....but I play a role in making the decision to press upgrade within the 1first 24hrs. Perhaps now people will realize that's not the best move....heck, I recall that when people moved to v5.1 and complained of battery issues.

Or maybe just clicked the upgrade button when told there was one available, trusting that Apple would not seriously screw up an existing app in the process?

Blind trust IMO. Still not 100% Apple's doing. People makes leaps of faith all the time. It's still a leap no matter how much faith you think exists.

If your argument is that everything is fine because everyone could have made a reasoned choice about upgrading, you're deluded.

Deluded? Really? So no one here complaining has a role in having made the choice to upgrade so quickly? WOW. Sounds to me like we have different expectations of our own decisions. I don't around pointing fingers until I am accountable for my own actions.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
To be honest, I have (had) faith in apple and just hit the update button. It was only when I discovered how bad it was that I came on here trying to find out how I could reverse it.

And I have, so I'm happy :)

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
While I was downloading iOS 6 earlier, I read all kinds of negative nit-picking reviews about iOS 6 like "it's a huge download" and "Maps app is a disaster."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! It's flawless! I haven't noticed a single negative 5.1, the Maps app works perfectly, and I LOVE the additions they've made.

It's time for people to stop whining and crying about everything Apple releases in hopes of being the next Apple-gate!

</rant>
Just because its all great for you, that doesn't mean it's fine for everyone else thought. The new Apple maps aren't very good at all where I am, in London. There's hardly any traffic data at all (which would have been very useful yesterday :mad:), and I've also notified the maps don't seem to tell you where bus stops are - although that I can live without. It just needs more traffic data, (and preferably not the horrible dashed lines :p).

Because the typical consumer nowadays is a spoiled brat who complains about a slight color change in the dial pad of his smartphone.
A 'slight colour change in the dial pad' wasn't mentioned at all in this thread before your post, the original post is talking about maps, so I don't know why you're talking about that!
People will whine about anything and everything. Geez, give it a rest already. Don't like it, go to Android or Windows Phone. Otherwise, quit yer bitchin! :)
iOS is a lot better overall, in my opinion, but that doesn't mean we can't complain about what we don't like and give constructive criticism :/.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Complaining about the workings of something that is completely free really shows the lack of respect to those people who work day and night to make that product work for everyone on every device. Will it be perfect? No, because every system and every app is a work-in-progress. It will never be complete until every customer on this planet stops reporting an issue.

Sorry I seem to recall paying half a grand for my iPad, it wasn't completely free.

I paid that when it had maps I could actually use. When they take away maps that I can use, they're going to get an ear-full.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Sorry I seem to recall paying half a grand for my iPad, it wasn't completely free.

I paid that when it had maps I could actually use. When they take away maps that I can use, they're going to get an ear-full.

You paid for the hardware, the software and all its upgrades come for free. iOS does not guarantee to come with the best apps, there are more than enough customers who've purchased apps they find superior to the ones Apple ships its devices with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.