Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
komodrone
Banned

Activated my iPhone, no cellular data?

Activated my iphone 5 earlier this afternoon. Phone works but no cellular data present. I've tried the following:
1. Reset to factory, doesn't work
2. restore from iPhone 4 backup, doesn't work
3. reboot 10x, doesn't work
4. reset network settings, doesn't work.

what's going on?
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Rooskibar03
macrumors 65816

Same thing here. Spent 2 hours on phone with ATT and they are effen clueless. They opened a trouble ticket and will get back to me within 72 hours.

Going to try and restore when I get home from work and see what happens.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502a

Do you have Settings > General > Cellular turned on?
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Rooskibar03
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
Do you have Settings > General > Cellular turned on?
Duh. That was almost as helpful as the lady from ATT who couldnt speak english.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:37 PM   #5
svega3
macrumors newbie

Add me to the list... i'm having the same problem. Unable to activate cellular, and can't make calls.
svega3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:38 PM   #6
jcastillo20059
macrumors member

Happend to me also, they are overwhelmed with all the phones being activated to nano sims that the network is trying to catch up, the best thing you can do is wait it out or call att and i'm not sure what they call it but they refreshed or reset the transmission to the sim and soon after that slowly it started working.
jcastillo20059 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:41 PM   #7
SpecialFX45
macrumors newbie

That happened to me when I got mine. I powered it off, then powered it back on and I all of a sudden had data working. Kinda weird.
SpecialFX45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:48 PM   #8
michael31986
macrumors 68000

still waiting on phone calls. i have data but only 4g not let
michael31986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Chief Oddball
macrumors regular

Same thing happened to my wife when she activated her iPhone 5 this morning around 10 a.m. Central. No data at all at first -- just "AT&T" logo in the upper left with signal bars but no data connection type.

A reboot got "4G" to come up, but LTE took about 20 minutes to light up by itself.

Have noticed it fail back to 4G (while still in an LTE area) this afternoon around 5:00. Towers must be overloaded.
Chief Oddball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:54 PM   #10
ominx
macrumors 6502

Sorry. Deleted post because apparently I can't read. Didn't see you said you were activated. :/
ominx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:10 PM   #11
svega3
macrumors newbie

Ok, i contacted AT&T live chat from their site. They asked for IMEI and ICCID. Within 5 minutes and 1 power cycle, i can now make calls and have working data.
svega3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
michael31986
macrumors 68000

lady said there are like 85000 people waiting, but it is normal for data to work and not voice.
michael31986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:39 AM   #13
spacehog371
macrumors regular

Having this same problem when trying to activate my iPhone 5. Everything looks to be activated fine, but when I try to use the internet it says "Could not activate cellular data network" and "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

Called AT&T and they tried to do some resets, but said that it wasn't even making it to the phone. The second person I talked to told me that they were having activation problems in a few different places, and that I was in one of those places. Apparently my phone only partially activated, the data portion didn't activate. He told me that I would just have to wait until the activations caught up, and told me to powercycle my phone every hour to check for data. 8 hours later and I still don't have any data.
spacehog371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:01 AM   #14
caliwolv
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog371 View Post
Having this same problem when trying to activate my iPhone 5. Everything looks to be activated fine, but when I try to use the internet it says "Could not activate cellular data network" and "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

Called AT&T and they tried to do some resets, but said that it wasn't even making it to the phone. The second person I talked to told me that they were having activation problems in a few different places, and that I was in one of those places. Apparently my phone only partially activated, the data portion didn't activate. He told me that I would just have to wait until the activations caught up, and told me to powercycle my phone every hour to check for data. 8 hours later and I still don't have any data.
You're having a different issue that some of us are experiencing - I don't know the solution yet.

You restored your iPhone 5 from a backup that had at some point a jailbroken and/or hacked comcenter files and/or apn profiles - and those are overwriting the new LTE settings for whatever reason. That'd be great if the UI for those settings still existed, but they haven't for several versions now.

If you restore your phone without restoring a backup, does it work? (Hint: It probably will, no idea how to fix it and keep your backup yet)
caliwolv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:07 AM   #15
spacehog371
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliwolv View Post
You're having a different issue that some of us are experiencing - I don't know the solution yet.

You restored your iPhone 5 from a backup that had at some point a jailbroken and/or hacked comcenter files and/or apn profiles - and those are overwriting the new LTE settings for whatever reason. That'd be great if the UI for those settings still existed, but they haven't for several versions now.

If you restore your phone without restoring a backup, does it work? (Hint: It probably will, no idea how to fix it and keep your backup yet)
I suspected this was the case, but I figured that I wouldn't try to solve that suspected problem until I knew it wasn't the activation server. The guy at AT&T told me specifically that my area was having a problem, so I was having faith. I assume that I can just restore from iCloud instead of restoring from an iTunes restore, and that should do the trick. Unfortunately, I do not have a stable enough internet connection to do an iCloud restore at this time.
spacehog371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:14 AM   #16
Shasta McNasty
macrumors 6502a

Did you try a hard reset of the phone? Mine wasn't working either until I did this then it worked perfectly.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:05 AM   #17
dylanursula
macrumors 6502

Folks. Tried a hard reset and reset network settings and still no lte data! When setup without restoring my backup it works fine. Any one have any solution that worked for them?
dylanursula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:21 AM   #18
DracO426
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog371 View Post
I suspected this was the case, but I figured that I wouldn't try to solve that suspected problem until I knew it wasn't the activation server. The guy at AT&T told me specifically that my area was having a problem, so I was having faith. I assume that I can just restore from iCloud instead of restoring from an iTunes restore, and that should do the trick. Unfortunately, I do not have a stable enough internet connection to do an iCloud restore at this time.

I'm in the same boat. Coming from an jailbroken iphone 3gs that had those things the previous poster listed changed/edited.

I can confirm that without restoring and doing a fresh "setup as new phone" it will work as intended but any attempts to restore either from icloud or itunes results in "Could not activate cellular data network" and "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

I've tried multiple variations of icloud and itunes restore none work. Any one else got a clue?
DracO426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:37 AM   #19
indianboynyc
macrumors regular

everything worked for all 3 of my phones as soon as we tried the very first time
indianboynyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:57 AM   #20
dylanursula
macrumors 6502

This seems to be a common issue based on the apple boards. However apple have no idea how to fix it
dylanursula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:32 AM   #21
dndandrea
macrumors 6502

I had the same problem but it's easy to fix. Customer service helped me yesterday.

Turn off the phone for ATLEAST 30 seconds. Then power back on.
dndandrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:46 AM   #22
pavelbure
macrumors 6502a

Mine also was jailbroken and is still not activated.
pavelbure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:47 AM   #23
backwithblack
macrumors newbie

We have two phones, neither of which were ever jailbroken, and both have yet to be activated.
backwithblack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:35 PM   #24
pavelbure
macrumors 6502a

Well i got my phone to activate. I just set it up as a new phone, did a reboot after it was done and all was activated. ATT lte is blazing fast here.

I then restored it with my backup and everything works good so far.
pavelbure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:40 PM   #25
meganator
macrumors member

Same problem here. I hopped on with AT&T support chat and they fixed it for me no problem. Think they had to reset the sim on their end. But now it works!
meganator is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone