Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Activated my iphone 5 earlier this afternoon. Phone works but no cellular data present. I've tried the following:
1. Reset to factory, doesn't work
2. restore from iPhone 4 backup, doesn't work
3. reboot 10x, doesn't work
4. reset network settings, doesn't work.

what's going on?

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Same thing here. Spent 2 hours on phone with ATT and they are effen clueless. They opened a trouble ticket and will get back to me within 72 hours.

Going to try and restore when I get home from work and see what happens.

svega3

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Add me to the list... i'm having the same problem. Unable to activate cellular, and can't make calls.

jcastillo20059

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Happend to me also, they are overwhelmed with all the phones being activated to nano sims that the network is trying to catch up, the best thing you can do is wait it out or call att and i'm not sure what they call it but they refreshed or reset the transmission to the sim and soon after that slowly it started working.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
Same thing happened to my wife when she activated her iPhone 5 this morning around 10 a.m. Central. No data at all at first -- just "AT&T" logo in the upper left with signal bars but no data connection type.

A reboot got "4G" to come up, but LTE took about 20 minutes to light up by itself.

Have noticed it fail back to 4G (while still in an LTE area) this afternoon around 5:00. Towers must be overloaded.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Sorry. Deleted post because apparently I can't read. Didn't see you said you were activated. :/

svega3

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Ok, i contacted AT&T live chat from their site. They asked for IMEI and ICCID. Within 5 minutes and 1 power cycle, i can now make calls and have working data.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Having this same problem when trying to activate my iPhone 5. Everything looks to be activated fine, but when I try to use the internet it says "Could not activate cellular data network" and "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

Called AT&T and they tried to do some resets, but said that it wasn't even making it to the phone. The second person I talked to told me that they were having activation problems in a few different places, and that I was in one of those places. Apparently my phone only partially activated, the data portion didn't activate. He told me that I would just have to wait until the activations caught up, and told me to powercycle my phone every hour to check for data. 8 hours later and I still don't have any data.

caliwolv

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Having this same problem when trying to activate my iPhone 5. Everything looks to be activated fine, but when I try to use the internet it says "Could not activate cellular data network" and "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

Called AT&T and they tried to do some resets, but said that it wasn't even making it to the phone. The second person I talked to told me that they were having activation problems in a few different places, and that I was in one of those places. Apparently my phone only partially activated, the data portion didn't activate. He told me that I would just have to wait until the activations caught up, and told me to powercycle my phone every hour to check for data. 8 hours later and I still don't have any data.

You're having a different issue that some of us are experiencing - I don't know the solution yet.

You restored your iPhone 5 from a backup that had at some point a jailbroken and/or hacked comcenter files and/or apn profiles - and those are overwriting the new LTE settings for whatever reason. That'd be great if the UI for those settings still existed, but they haven't for several versions now.

If you restore your phone without restoring a backup, does it work? (Hint: It probably will, no idea how to fix it and keep your backup yet)

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
You're having a different issue that some of us are experiencing - I don't know the solution yet.

You restored your iPhone 5 from a backup that had at some point a jailbroken and/or hacked comcenter files and/or apn profiles - and those are overwriting the new LTE settings for whatever reason. That'd be great if the UI for those settings still existed, but they haven't for several versions now.

If you restore your phone without restoring a backup, does it work? (Hint: It probably will, no idea how to fix it and keep your backup yet)

I suspected this was the case, but I figured that I wouldn't try to solve that suspected problem until I knew it wasn't the activation server. The guy at AT&T told me specifically that my area was having a problem, so I was having faith. I assume that I can just restore from iCloud instead of restoring from an iTunes restore, and that should do the trick. Unfortunately, I do not have a stable enough internet connection to do an iCloud restore at this time.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Folks. Tried a hard reset and reset network settings and still no lte data! When setup without restoring my backup it works fine. Any one have any solution that worked for them?

DracO426

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I suspected this was the case, but I figured that I wouldn't try to solve that suspected problem until I knew it wasn't the activation server. The guy at AT&T told me specifically that my area was having a problem, so I was having faith. I assume that I can just restore from iCloud instead of restoring from an iTunes restore, and that should do the trick. Unfortunately, I do not have a stable enough internet connection to do an iCloud restore at this time.

I'm in the same boat. Coming from an jailbroken iphone 3gs that had those things the previous poster listed changed/edited.

I can confirm that without restoring and doing a fresh "setup as new phone" it will work as intended but any attempts to restore either from icloud or itunes results in "Could not activate cellular data network" and "You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

I've tried multiple variations of icloud and itunes restore none work. Any one else got a clue?

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
I had the same problem but it's easy to fix. Customer service helped me yesterday.

Turn off the phone for ATLEAST 30 seconds. Then power back on.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Well i got my phone to activate. I just set it up as a new phone, did a reboot after it was done and all was activated. ATT lte is blazing fast here.

I then restored it with my backup and everything works good so far.

meganator

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Same problem here. I hopped on with AT&T support chat and they fixed it for me no problem. Think they had to reset the sim on their end. But now it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.