Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Anarchy99
macrumors 6502

accidentally formatted the wrong hd help

the bootcamp utility didnt like any of my flash drive so i bought another but i didnt notice unlike my previous attempts it selected my external HD instead of the flash drive and formatted it and started to put data on the thing before i realized

anyway its a 2tb hd that was formatted HFS extended what is the best tool(s) paid or otherwise to attempt to recover the most file preferably with the original file structure

thanks
Anarchy99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs, you can use:
  • Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
  • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)
Also know, that data recovery applications, if successful, will probably not restore the original file and folder structure and you will get files back without their original file names.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:14 AM   #3
maflynn

The best protection is to always have a backup but guessing by the post you don't have one.

First thing is to not use the computer at all until you can get some software. The more its used the less likely you'll recover anything.

I don't have any advise of what tools to use, but good luck
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Anarchy99
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
The best protection is to always have a backup but guessing by the post you don't have one.

First thing is to not use the computer at all until you can get some software. The more its used the less likely you'll recover anything.

I don't have any advise of what tools to use, but good luck
no not this time , although ive learned my lesson just bought my 1st year of crashplan, but that wont help me this time :S
Anarchy99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Edie Brickell
macrumors member

simsaladimbamba has provide you good selection of data recovery programs which are good in recovering your formatted data except Nice to Recover which I have not used ever. After recovering your data make sure that you will take a proper backup of your data in future which is a nice practice to save your precious data.
Edie Brickell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help