Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

iPhone 5 rattling noise [MERGED]

Hey all, just curious if anyone else has this problem.

UPS just delivered my shiny new iPhone 5, the instant I had it in hand I could feel and hear something rattling inside it. Not sure what but there's a significant amount of weight moving about so I'm assuming it has to be the battery. The phone fires up okay and there's no damage to the case that I can see so I'm assuming manufacturing defect, probably with the glue that holds the battery down.

Got an appointment at the genius bar for tomorrow but thought I'd see if this is a one off or not?
smiddlehurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddlehurst View Post
Hey all, just curious if anyone else has this problem.

UPS just delivered my shiny new iPhone 5, the instant I had it in hand I could feel and hear something rattling inside it. Not sure what but there's a significant amount of weight moving about so I'm assuming it has to be the battery. The phone fires up okay and there's no damage to the case that I can see so I'm assuming manufacturing defect, probably with the glue that holds the battery down.

Got an appointment at the genius bar for tomorrow but thought I'd see if this is a one off or not?
is it the camera lens? tap the back around the apple logo and move toward the camera lens with light taps. Does it increase or decrease?
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Crotalus_Joe
macrumors regular

Now that's something to be concerned about.
Crotalus_Joe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:14 AM   #4
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
is it the camera lens? tap the back around the apple logo and move toward the camera lens with light taps. Does it increase or decrease?
Nope. It's lower down that that and a real, uh, 'deep' noise when you shake it. Must be something relatively heavy. From the iFixit teardown it feels like it's coming from the side of the phone where the battery lives... Maybe I'll take some superglue with me to the Apple store tomorrow and they can fix it there and then
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
bisnicks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddlehurst View Post
Nope. It's lower down that that and a real, uh, 'deep' noise when you shake it. Must be something relatively heavy. From the iFixit teardown it feels like it's coming from the side of the phone where the battery lives... Maybe I'll take some superglue with me to the Apple store tomorrow and they can fix it there and then
It COULD be the switch back to rotational motor with a counterweight for the vibration.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhon...10525/4#s38304
bisnicks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:20 AM   #6
TheMagicPirate
macrumors newbie

Mine doen't rattle, but if I tap the top 'bar' on the back of the phone I can hear what I assume to be the camera lens hitting off the glass either side of it.

Not something my iPhone 4 did so I'm a little worried I must admit.

Quote:
Just tired this and the 'rattle' does get louder the closer to the lens I get.
TheMagicPirate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
thephvalue
macrumors newbie

mine is rattling too \_(ツ)_/
thephvalue is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
911scanner
macrumors member

More than likely the "old" new vibration motor.
911scanner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:24 AM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Just so you know, you will get an email about your Genius Bar appointment being cancelled due to the iPhone 5 release weekend
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:26 AM   #10
d.steve
macrumors member

Because it feels like it has weight, yeah, it's probably the battery. I had an iPhone 4 that had that same kind of thing going. Eventually took it in and the guy opened it up in the back.

He came back out and said they failed to pull the strip off the adhesive for the battery and it was sliding around a bit. He replaced the unit because he didn't feel comfortable about what might have happened from the rattling around.

Fwiw.
d.steve is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Keep in mind that the camera has some asinine number of loose lenses in it that WILL bang around to a certain extent and sound something like tiny marbles (like the 4s). This is my experience with my 4s. I sent the first one back out of concern. the next one didn't do it NEARLY as bad, but still rattled around a bit. Every single other 4s I put my hands on has a rattle of some extent coming from the camera area.

I expect no less with the iPhone 5 since it has more lenses now than the 4s did (doesn't it?).

It should be pretty easy to discern if it's coming from the camera area or somewhere else.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Frasern1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Keep in mind that the camera has some asinine number of loose lenses in it that WILL bang around to a certain extent and sound something like tiny marbles (like the 4s). This is my experience with my 4s. I sent the first one back out of concern. the next one didn't do it NEARLY as bad, but still rattled around a bit. Every single other 4s I put my hands on has a rattle of some extent coming from the camera area.

I expect no less with the iPhone 5 since it has more lenses now than the 4s did (doesn't it?).

It should be pretty easy to discern if it's coming from the camera area or somewhere else.
No they both use the same amount. 5 or whatever it was.
Frasern1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:32 AM   #13
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911scanner View Post
More than likely the "old" new vibration motor.
I'm as close to sure as I can be that it's not. If I shake the phone side to side you can feel whatever it is in there bouncing around and off the case. Weight seems to be almost directly centre and slightly offset to the left and I can hear it shifting within the case, not just moving on a spindle. I've owned an iPhone 4 which I believe had the rotational motor and never noticed a thing. This is moving enough that you can feel a weight shift just while holding the phone and moving it to your ear.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.steve View Post
Because it feels like it has weight, yeah, it's probably the battery. I had an iPhone 4 that had that same kind of thing going. Eventually took it in and the guy opened it up in the back.

He came back out and said they failed to pull the strip off the adhesive for the battery and it was sliding around a bit. He replaced the unit because he didn't feel comfortable about what might have happened from the rattling around.

Fwiw.
That's about what I figure to be honest. See what happens tomorrow.

To those suggesting the camera area, appreciated but this isn't something that I have to hold the phone right next to my ear in a quiet room to hear. This is a big, heavy rattle and I can feel weight shifting around inside the phone, can't see any way the lens could be causing it. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:32 AM   #14
d.steve
macrumors member

Quote:
He came back out and said they failed to pull the strip off the adhesive for the battery and it was sliding around a bit.
Hmmm. The tear down makes it look like no adhesive needed. *shrug*
d.steve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:34 AM   #15
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hmmm. The tear down makes it look like no adhesive needed. *shrug*
Umm, from iFixit's tear down:

Quote:
We use the flat end of a spudger to pry up the battery from some typical adhesive.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:20 PM   #16
UCF Sam
macrumors regular

Something is loose in my iPhone 5.

Feels like the battery is loose, every time I move the phone I can feel something large move, its more of a thud rather than a rattle. Anyone experiencing something similar? I made an appointment with the Genius bar tomorrow.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

***UPDATE***

I just got home and opened mine up. I discovered that the battery was not firmly pressed into its adhesive. After pressing down the battery the iPhone is solid and silent, hopefully it remains this way, but I have my doubts since the adhesive was exposed to air while the battery was not firmly attached.

As most people do not have the tools to perform this repair, a pentalobe screwdriver, I recommend bringing the phone to your local genius bar for repair.

I made a video of the before and after.

http://youtu.be/LHoH-RnNr4w

Last edited by UCF Sam; Sep 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
UCF Sam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:27 PM   #17
EricSjos
macrumors member

After seeing all these posts about rattling coming from inside the phone and people finding chips/scuffs on the edges, I'm kinda afraid to open my box when I get home from work.

That definitely sounds like something they should replace though.
EricSjos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:02 PM   #18
darwynn
macrumors newbie

Sadly, I have the same issue. Everything is functional though. At this point, I don't know how long I'd have to wait for a replacement if I have to exchange it.
darwynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:06 PM   #19
Electa
macrumors member

It is the loose ringer switch on the left hand side of the phone. I have the same 'problem'.
Electa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:07 PM   #20
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electa View Post
It is the loose ringer switch on the left hand side of the phone. I have the same 'problem'.
I would still get it replaced even if it were an "innocuous" issue.
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:08 PM   #21
dialed1
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to dialed1
This rattling was normal for me since i4 is less evident on my i5 though
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:10 PM   #22
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Could be the sleep wake button. Try holding it down and see if the phone makes any noise.

If your sleep wake button is loose or has some play, its normal. Some iPhones are like that, and some are not.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:11 PM   #23
Spicedham
macrumors member

its the autofocus lens its normal.
Spicedham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:14 PM   #24
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicedham View Post
He's describing the sound as a thud. That sound like the autofocus lens to you? I sure as hell hope not.
johndallas999 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:16 PM   #25
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

I'm in this same boat... I uploaded a quick YouTube video.

http://youtu.be/5qctM18D4RI

Doubt very seriously that I'm gonna get a replacement any time soon, but calling Apple Store nearest me now to see. Grr.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicedham View Post
I got three phones on my account today, one rattles and two don't ... so either I've got two broken autofocus lenses, or there's something wrong with the ONE phone. LOL.
iPadPublisher is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone