Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

You can now remove recent email addresses from Mail

This is something I've seen others complain about on here, as well as myself. Before, if you typed a letter when addressing an email, you'd see all the email accounts you've ever sent an email to. To remove these you had to restore as new as that was the only way to get these deleted from Mail.

Now, Apple gives us an easy way to remove them. Just click on the > button and you'll be given the option of Create New Contact, Add to Existing Contact, or Remove From Recents.

EDIT** It appears they are also synced via iCloud. I just opened my iPad which had a few for the letter 'A' and now they are gone even though I didn't remove them from the iPad, just the iPhone.

Last edited by HazyCloud; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
HazyCloud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:45 AM   #2
KeanosMagicHat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
This is something I've seen others complain about on here, as well as myself. Before, if you typed a letter when addressing an email, you'd see all the email accounts you've ever sent an email to. To remove these you had to restore as new as that was the only way to get these deleted from Mail.

Now, Apple gives us an easy way to remove them. Just click on the > button and you'll be given the option of Create New Contact, Add to Existing Contact, or Remove From Recents.
Whilst seemingly a small change, this is really useful. I had an address in there for a works email from my previous job and it was quite annoying having to have the nimble fingers of a surgeon to avoid sending mails to the wrong address.

It should be noted that you can only delete the addresses from the recent list if they are not stored anywhere in your contacts, which makes sense.
KeanosMagicHat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanosMagicHat View Post
...It should be noted that you can only delete the addresses from the recent list if they are not stored anywhere in your contacts, which makes sense.
This is true. If you'd like to remove a certain email address that's stored in one of your contacts, you'll need to remove it from Contacts. If it still shows up, go back to Mail and remove it from there.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:12 PM   #4
interconnect
macrumors regular

Where exactly is this option?
interconnect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
KeanosMagicHat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by interconnect View Post
Where exactly is this option?
As you start to type the email address and the offending one appears, you will see a blue arrow beside it.

See the attachment below;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	361799  
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
KeanosMagicHat
macrumors 6502a

When you click the blue arrow, you now have the option to remove the address from your recents list for good.

Again, please see the picture below. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to add multiple pictures to the same post from my iPhone, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	361800  
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:43 PM   #7
interconnect
macrumors regular

Unfortunately I don't have that option... I just checked. I wonder if it's because I'm using Gmail configured as an Exchange account.

Also, since I setup Facebook integration now all my Facebook contacts show up in that list. I've chosen to hide them by going to "Groups" in Contacts and deselecting the Facebook contacts, but they still show up in the recents... anyone discover a way to clear them out (aside from the way above where I'm assuming you'd have to go one-by-one)?

Last edited by interconnect; Sep 23, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
interconnect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:00 PM   #8
mantan
macrumors 6502a

This was a LONG overdue change that was very much appreciated.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6