Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reikochan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
USA
I have a flawless iPhone 5 that works perfectly. However, on the App Store and the iTunes Store when it asks for my password, I will go to type it in and when I do I will see these lines going across my keyboard that move and act like static.

I ordered it from apple so my question is, should I return it? Or is this a software issue? It doesn't do this anywhere else on the phone. It only happens when the keyboard turns black and asks for a password for one of the main stores.

I was able to make this happen purposely several times on my phone, but when I grabbed my husband's iPhone 5 I could not mimic my problem.

I am including a video I found on YouTube that mimics the same problem.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BJobxmLXiHo&desktop_uri=/watch?v=BJobxmLXiHo

Can this issue be recreated on an iPhone 4S or anther 5? Not sure what to do.

eko425

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
I'm having the exact same problem. Hoping it's a software bug for 6.0 and not a hardware defect. No other problems so far. I bought mine from Verizon, so I'm hoping it's not a big deal because it's a pain to return through them...

Aepcopat

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Returns

I got mine from Verizon and it had something loose inside of it. I walked into apple on Friday afternoon and they gave me a new one no questions asked

Reikochan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
USA
I got mine from Verizon and it had something loose inside of it. I walked into apple on Friday afternoon and they gave me a new one no questions asked

I live in an area where the nearest apple store is five hours away. To replace my phone would be a huge hassle, I would ether have to drive it or send it back to apple and be without a phone for weeks unless they want to send me one first.

At this point, I'm really just curious if this is a software or hardware problem.

Aepcopat

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Oh sorry about that. I plan on going to apple tomorrow, I'll let you know what the say.

bobo31790

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I live in an area where the nearest apple store is five hours away. To replace my phone would be a huge hassle, I would ether have to drive it or send it back to apple and be without a phone for weeks unless they want to send me one first.

At this point, I'm really just curious if this is a software or hardware problem.

Just call apple I have heard people getting replacements without having mail their iPhones in first

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
For a $29 fee, apple will overnight a phone to you, and prepaid instructions for returning your current phone.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I have this exact same problem!

With so many iphones on backorder, I hate to wait to get it exchanged.

Although I guess if I wait a few more weeks Apple will work out all other major glitches.:p

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
Same problem, but I've only seen it when inputting password in App store, so I'm assuming it's a software glitch. Makes sense since the App store was redesigned...

Robby

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2002
I'm having the same problem. Hopefully it is just a software problem. For those who exchanged phones did that solve it?

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Yep. Mine and my wife's iPhone 5's are doing this. I'm thinking it's software since both of ours are doing this and ONLY when entering password on AppStore.

Jeanabobeana

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Same here. Hubs and I both got iP5 on launch day. Called Apple and was told they think it is a software issue so far. Mine has the static lines and his doesn't so I am not sure how it could be software if not everyone has the problem.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Yup, I have the same problem from time to time as well. Only seems to be related to the App Store for me, and its hit or miss as to when it happens.

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
For people that have this problem, have you guys tried calling apple or walking into an Apple store to see what they say? I've seen the same problem and wondering if I should swap it out.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
Has anyone tried doing a restoring the phone?

I'm also having this issue with my phone.

chris.robison

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I get these too every once in a while. It seems to happen in the App Store the most. I'm not sure if its happened outside of it actually. I hope its software related and not a screen issue.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
So far what I have done is restore,wipe out the phone, then restore once again. Will update to see if the problem still persist.

Stadashic

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
San Diego
Just got my iphone today and saw that its doing the same thing. So no one here as gone into the apple store yet to see what they say about it?

emsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
got the same problem on my 64GB phone too (canadian user). Good to know I'm not the only one!

BigZ243

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I just had the same issue. I didn't notice that it was only when asked to enter a password for iTunes though until just now. Definitely software related.

woodynet

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Brisbane
Same problem here, I did notice it outside the password entry area for the App Store, when I opened a folder (inline with the password entry line) there was some static lines) not as many but visual the same... Hope it's software ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.