Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theinspirond

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
For those of you have seen both in person ( I haven't such a luxury just yet ) -- which do you prefer? Whats the overall consensus here?

theinspirond

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I'm in the same boat.... fiance preordered the white... I initially planned to get the white since I've had the black for like 5 years now... but after she ordered it first, I couldn't get the same color lol so I ordered the black...

But! I cancelled my pre-order and now I can chose which one I want aaahhh decisions decisions! white or black! ughh! -_-

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I have a black 4S, and preferred it over the white, obviously, But when I went to go see the 5, I liked it better in white. The color you choose is relative to what appeals to you. I don't think anybody can convince you which color to get.

The black was nice, but the contrast of the gunmetal steel against the black was different. The white, on the other hand, had an appealing contrast which blended perfectly.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Have a white 4S but am going to get the black 5, I think black looks better. But instead of trying to get what everyone else is getting you should try to develop personal preferences and get what you like :p

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
The black is sexy sleek but there is something about the white that makes me think "luxury" it's clean like a white Mercedes or Range Rover. So as soon as I can, I'm getting the white one. I currently have a black iPhone/iPad.

lamenramen

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
In reality it's probably going to be 50-50 across the population.

I felt that the iphone 4 black looked better than the white.
I feel that the iphone 5 white looks better than the black.

I went into the store and realized that white is now the best -looking color, but I will still buy black.

How's that for any clarity?

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
To me, the black just looks super impressive. I think the way the slate/black colours compliment each other, it just makes it look 'all business', like a high-end device should do. Very sleek and to-the-point. Everything flows.

As for the white, also nice, but I think it gives off more of a glitz/glam vibe. The word 'celebrity' comes to mind. It's kind of an eye catcher I guess, so if you like being noticed, then I'd choose white.

But hey, this is the iPhone 5, either colour is going to get you relatively noticed at the moment :)

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Definitely in black. After seeing both of them in person it's clear that black is the better choice.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I like the white because I've owned the Black iPhone 3G and 4 and needed the change. I really like the silver chamfered edges and silver back with white glass borders, but the black looks pretty slick, too. Just not as slick, in my preference. :)

-C

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I own the black and love the sleek, stealthy look it has, but I have to admit that in person, the white looks awesome. Hard to say which looks better. I think if I had to say, the white actually looks better from a hardware standpoint, though the very dark black screen and black glass make the front panel look better in black, and I like the deep black/slate look for me.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
For those of you have seen both in person ( I haven't such a luxury just yet ) -- which do you prefer? Whats the overall consensus here?

they both look great. but the black one definitely looks more "different" compared to the iPhone 4/4S.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
had iPhone 4 black then 4S white! will probably get the 5 in white :( whenever Apple decides to launch it in Mexico probably as late as december :(

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have a black 4S, and preferred it over the white, obviously, But when I went to go see the 5, I liked it better in white. The color you choose is relative to what appeals to you. I don't think anybody can convince you which color to get.

The black was nice, but the contrast of the gunmetal steel against the black was different. The white, on the other hand, had an appealing contrast which blended perfectly.

This.

I vote white.
Love the shiny edges, and hate the all black look of the black iphone. I like the contrast of two colours.
also the scratchability...
plus ive been in black since iphone 3gs...and the ipads that went with them

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
I was dead set on getting black until i got to the store today, the white pops soooo much and looks so much better in person than in pictures.

The black just looked like an android to me and fingerprints were horrible on it.

Don't regret going white at all! :D

----------

Love the shiny edges.
Oh and this!!!!

After having a chance to see both in person now, I have to say that the white iPhone 5 has a cleaner and crisper look IMO. The contrast between the white and the shiny chamfer edge makes the white phone my choice.

Having said this, I wanted to test both colours while viewing some media so I specifically went to the Apple store today to test both colours by watching the same movie trailer on both. I have to say that watching the trailer on the black/slate iPhone 5 was a much better experience than on the white. Having the screen surrounded in black almost makes the phone disappear. I'd imagine this would also apply to games. The experience isn't bad on the white phone, it just seemed better on the black one. I guess this is why big screen TV's generally have a black bezel.

So I'm changing my tune and will be going to the dark side (Black/Slate).:D

JoshObra

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Los Angeles
A poll would be a good idea on this thread.

I had one in a smilar thread, you can vote and post on it to bump it up so other people can vote!

I'm with Black too because for some reason this time the black on the front seems to seamlessly blend with the screen (when off) which I thought it was pretty cool. And I just wanted to switch from my white 4s to black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.