Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEHi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Since the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked out of the box, I wonder if I will be able to activate it with a foreign sim card?

Or it is required to activate it using a Verizon sim card in the US network?

I ask this because my friend will leave the US the next week and he may bring me an iphone 5. Verizon seems to be the only option at this time

TEHi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Israel
Unlocked, yes. Trust me I've been googling this for more than 5 hours.

But activation is a different story, I'm just afarid I wont be able to activate it with a local sim card when it arrives to my country 2,000 miles away.

I asked to see if anyone here have tried actually ACTIVATING it from zero with another sim card.

Yes, I'm wondering the same.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Unlocked, yes. Trust me I've been googling this for more than 5 hours.

But activation is a different story, I'm just afarid I wont be able to activate it with a local sim card when it arrives to my country 2,000 miles away.

I asked to see if anyone here have tried actually ACTIVATING it from zero with another sim card.

If it's unlocked, it should activate with no issues.

suryahere

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Since the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked out of the box, I wonder if I will be able to activate it with a foreign sim card?

Or it is required to activate it using a Verizon sim card in the US network?

I ask this because my friend will leave the US the next week and he may bring me an iphone 5. Verizon seems to be the only option at this time

I am having the exact same question. Can I activate a full priced verizon iphone5 with a local carrier in another country? Can someone confirm this?

Calinoel

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
Hey I really need this answered. So I lost the sim to my iPhone 5 for verizon the service is canceled but I use it as a iPod or whatever the point is I still use it. I was wondering if I restore the phone can I still get past the activation screen with another persons verizon SIM card for iPhone 5? Ps the phone is not unlocked.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i think it will still activate on apples servers without a sim installed but im not sure. as long as its on wifi, it should activate.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Hey I really need this answered. So I lost the sim to my iPhone 5 for verizon the service is canceled but I use it as a iPod or whatever the point is I still use it. I was wondering if I restore the phone can I still get past the activation screen with another persons verizon SIM card for iPhone 5? Ps the phone is not unlocked.

All Verizon iPhone 5 are unlocked, they can be used anywhere, but will not get LTE on the SIM chip. So if you put it on another provider it will work, but not get LTE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.