Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Wow... I've had the iPhone 5 for about 5 days now. The black one 32 GB. LTE is spotty. Battery life not so great.

But the biggest gripe I have is the screen. First a digression. I've owned every single Apple iPhone to-date. The iPhone 5 is supposed to replace my white iPhone 4S. But I'm afraid to say that I like my iPhone 4S better. It looks better. It's sleeker. Smoother. Feels much better in the hand. Doesn't seem to scratch nearly as easily. And it fits my hand perfectly.

The iPhone 5 is too tall and skinny. I can't get used to it. It's like the proportions are totally wrong... by making it so tall and keeping it the same width, the display seems completely wrong in terms of dimensions. It looks and feels odd. It screams "Make me a bit wider!"

I think Apple screwed this up and the reason is simple: they failed to provide a new design around a larger screen. The current design is wrong: it's just an old design that doesn't fit a larger display. It's like it's jury rigged or something.

They instead said, let's make the screen 4" because we can fit an extra row of icons in there and people will still be able to use it with one hand. But that's not design first as Jobs pushed. How does it feel Tim Cook!

Does it look and feel right? That's the most important thing. And to me it feels just wrong.

Solution: Make the screen slightly wider and reduce the bezel on the sides and on the top and bottom. The Galaxy SIII is a great example of how a design can form itself around a large screen and be very ergonomically effective. It feels AMAZING in the hand. Yes, it's big, but it's incredible how nice it feels in the hand.

Apple's iPhone 5 feels sharp, obtuse, and looks weird. I'm struggling to get used to this guys. I wonder if I'm alone or if time will make it grow on me. Right now I'm hating it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
why did you buy it then? return it...

after using it for a week im comfortable with the screen. its the same size 16x9 as most other android phones. it doesnt feel awkward anymore to me.

scratching is the only thing that will happen more to this phone if you abuse it. Glass is more durable for scratches but worse for drops.

All your other points make no sense. 4s smoother? ok no...
4s does not look better at all. feels worse in the hand. is heavier. glass sides look horrible in comparison because they stick out of the frame.

lte is spotty yes. but it will get better and is super fast on it.

----------

i get diarrhea sometimes. i don't like it.

do you mean you get diarrhea sometimes and dont like it or you get diarrhea and sometimes dont like it? :D

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Typical complaint from another Apple user with tiny hands. I do not like the new screen either. Just making it taller was a waste. Just an example of Apple struggling to keep the tiny hand Apple happy and still try to attract new users.

When you grow up and become an adult, your hands DO get larger.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012

after using it for a week im comfortable with the screen. its the same size 16x9 as most other android phones. it doesnt feel awkward anymore to me.

scratching is the only thing that will happen more to this phone if you abuse it. Glass is more durable for scratches but worse for drops.

4s does not look better at all. feels worse in the hand. is heavier. glass sides look horrible in comparison because they stick out of the frame.

lte is spotty yes. but it will get better and is super fast on it.

----------

do you mean you get diarrhea sometimes and dont like it or you get diarrhea and sometimes dont like it? :D

What android phone is 16:9?

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Remember that this is an expensive device that you're most likely going to be using alot. If you aren't 100% happy and comfortable using it, buy a new phone that you will enjoy using.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the taller phone. When I first opened the box it felt a bit weird after 5 years of the shorter iphone but now it feels just right. The 16:9 aspect ratio when playing games and watching videos is, IMO, the best feature of this phone.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
iPhone 5 is far from what Apple is truly capable of. Therein lies the problem.

When you're Apple & you rest on your laurels, coast on you're reputation, and shove out mediocre work, but claim it's your best...

Well we're seeing the push back now.

Apple's getting what Apple deserves.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012

You say "anymore", implying it actually did at one time feel awkward to you.

Ok... yes. It is smoother. The 5 has a flat aluminum backside. The iPhone 4S a glossy glass back. The 4S is smoother full stop.

4s does not look better at all. feels worse in the hand. glass sides look horrible in comparison because they stick out of the frame.

Why does the 4S not look better at all and feel worse in the hand? It's smaller and much easier to hold with one hand. This is a fact. People have already pointed out it's difficult to reach all 4 points of the display. And glass sides? There are no glass sides on the 4S. It's got stainless steel for sides.

----------

Typical complaint from another Apple user with tiny hands. I do not like the new screen either. Just making it taller was a waste. Just an example of Apple struggling to keep the tiny hand Apple happy and still try to attract new users.

When you grow up and become an adult, your hands DO get larger.

I'm over 6 feet with above average sized hands.

----------

iPhone 5 is far from what Apple is truly capable of. Therein lies the problem.

When you're Apple & you rest on your laurels, coast on you're reputation, and shove out mediocre work, but claim it's your best...

Well we're seeing the push back now.

Apple's getting what Apple deserves.

I agree with this.

Imagine if Apple did this:

iPhone 5. 20% larger screen, same physical size as the iPhone 4S!

Instead they gave us a skinny teenager and it looks and feels absurd.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

Ok... yes. It is smoother. The 5 has a flat aluminum backside. The iPhone 4S a glossy glass back. The 4S is smoother full stop.

Why does the 4S not look better at all and feel worse in the hand? It's smaller and much easier to hold with one hand. This is a fact. People have already pointed out it's difficult to reach all 4 points of the display. And glass sides? There are no glass sides on the 4S. It's got stainless steel for sides.

Well of course. if you really did own all iphones going for the 16x9 ratio is a little weird at first. i havent questioned it since after about day 3 or 4. it seems fine to me now. Weird people adjust to things...

i thought you meant smoother power wise... not on the outside.
I dont understand your complaint here. you want it to feel like glass? it feel much better i think. The glass phone slid off everything.

overall the 4s and 4 are not smaller... OVERALL.
to me the bottom with the dock connecter and silver grills looks dated and old. The new phone looks much more modern. Its an improved 4s but holding it and looking at it in person you can tell its not the same.
did i say glass sides? i meant that the glass sticks out kind of like an oreo... It doesnt look as good as this version because everything is basically flush. It looks more appealing. The old phone looks like a sandwhich from the sides. It didnt make any sense to have raised glass. Just asking for breaks if somebody drops it from that alone. Also that makes it look worse and uneven. I love the way the new one looks like finished version in person. pictures are hard to capture how it feels and looks.

also how is the s3 nicer in one hand? its a two handed phone because it is too big. I appreciate using my phone with one hand most the time and this phone works perfect for that. i also have small hands. my one hand with an s3 would not work. Its a two handed phone...so no that is not a solution.

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
That's because he is used to a 3:2 iPhone display. Any change feels 'weird' at first, but I'm 100% certain that most (not all) users are not willing to go back to a 3.5" 3:2 display when they have had the iPhone 5 for a while.

I don't really get your smoother argument. The iPhone 5 has a flat aluminium backside? And you are trying to say that the iPhone 4S doesn't have a flat glass backside?

Aluminium feels better, in my opinion. And also, it's once piece: it's directly 'fused' with the bezel around the phone. That feels much better and smoother. Full stop.

Why does the 4S not look better at all
This is your opinion. Just because you think the iPhone 4S looks better, doesn't mean others think the same.

Just because you think the iPhone 4S looks better, everyone should think the iPhone 4S looks better?

and feel worse in the hand? It's smaller and much easier to hold with one hand. This is a fact.
You did NOT name any facts. The iPhone 5 is in fact, over-all, smaller than an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4. Also, it is no fact that the iPhone 4S is easier to hold. This is, again, an opinion. but I can definitely see why people believe the iPhone 5 is easier to hold with one hand. After all, the iPhone 4S has these sharp edges. The iPhone 5's antenna band + back exists out of one piece, and there's a transition from the back to the antenna band. That feels much better in the hand.

People have already pointed out it's difficult to reach all 4 points of the display.
Yeah, and even smaller handed people believe a 3.5" is too big. And bigger handed people, believe the 3.5" is too small (when a hand becomes bigger, it is more difficult to hold smaller items). So a 3.5" iPhone can, in fact, be harder to hold than a 4 inch iPhone for some people.

And glass sides? There are no glass sides on the 4S. It's got stainless steel for sides.
You know what he means. The front and the back. He means that the glass on the iPhone 4S, on both sides, really sticks out.

Irrelevant how tall you are. And again, just because you have an opinion about something, doesn't mean everyone else has that exact same opinion.

I agree with this.

That would take away the typical "iPhone design" (top bezel, screen, same sized bottom bezel).

No one is forcing you to get an iPhone 5. Return it if you don't like it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Coming from a galaxy S3 the iPhone 5 is incredibly easy to wield with one hand! The S3 does indeed feel great in the hand, but trying to reach the top left hand corner of the screen without shifting grip is almost impossible. I'm right handed.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
What android phone is 16:9?

I honestly can't tell if trolling or????

There have been TONS of 16x9 android phones. Here are just a few examples!

Motorola - Droid (also Droid 2, Droid RAZR, Droid MAXX), Atrix,

HTC - Desire series, EVO (also EVO 4G, EVO 2, EVO 3D), Nexus One, Rezound, Sensation, Amaze,

Acer - Liquid series

Asus - Padfone/Padfone 2

LG - Optimus Series

Samsung - Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S (and it's many many counterparts), GALAXY S III, Galaxy Note II

Shall I go on?! Every single one of those phones are either 16x9 or 16x10. There are hundreds of others as well, this doesn't even begin to cover the list!

moosquared

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Good grief! You've tried it. You hate it, feels weird in your hand, it's wrong, etc. RETURN IT!

You said it yourself:

The Galaxy SIII is a great example of how a design can form itself around a large screen and be very ergonomically effective. It feels AMAZING in the hand. Yes, it's big, but it's incredible how nice it feels in the hand.

So why bought the iPhone 5? Perhaps you'd like to try out the new iPhone? Sure. Now, you've tried it and don't like it. So exchange it before the return period is over. You seem to really like the SG3, so go for it. It's a great phone.

Or, go back to 4S.

Whether or not you like the design, it's still your opinion. Doesn't mean everyone will feel the same way.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I honestly can't tell if trolling or????

There have been TONS of 16x9 android phones. Here are just a few examples!

Motorola - Droid (also Droid 2, Droid RAZR, Droid MAXX), Atrix,

HTC - Desire series, EVO (also EVO 4G, EVO 2, EVO 3D), Nexus One, Rezound, Sensation, Amaze,

Acer - Liquid series

Asus - Padfone/Padfone 2

LG - Optimus Series

Samsung - Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S (and it's many many counterparts), GALAXY S III, Galaxy Note II

Shall I go on?! Every single one of those phones are either 16x9 or 16x10. There are hundreds of others as well, this doesn't even begin to cover the list!

yup

Cutterschoice

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
I have to agree with the OP, i got mine day one and called apple last night to pick it up, i really wanted to like it, but it does feel cheap and uncomfortable to use.

I've got my 4s sat infront of me waiting for a sim to throw back into it. I'm secretly wishing apple make two phones smaller and the bigger one.

I work in IT and the first thing people said was it doesn't feel "apple like". Even if that is opinion based, i'm happy with the 4s, any big games i play as i play alot of games on it like fifa13 and GTA3 i use on my iPad rather than phone, so extra screen space isn't an issue to me.

All of that said, the 5 is a stunning looking phone, just not practical for my needs, i'm sure others love it.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
So.... You've had every iPhone and act as if you're deeply involved in the scene yet this is your first MR post.... and it's long and hating on the i5. Ok, yeah, no one thinks your trolling.... carry on.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007

----------

----------

I agree with this.

If it looks and feels "absurd" as you state, why do you still have the phone? Are you returning it for the 4S? Or are you getting the Galaxy SIII?

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Ilike my iPhone 4S better. It looks better. It's sleeker. Smoother. Feels much better in the hand. Doesn't seem to scratch nearly as easily. And it fits my hand perfectly.

The iPhone 5 is too tall and skinny. I can't get used to it. It's like the proportions are totally wrong... by making it so tall and keeping it the same width, the display seems completely wrong in terms of dimensions. It looks and feels odd. It screams "Make me a bit wider!"

I think Apple screwed this up

+1

The iPhone 4s was the greatest iPhone to date and I hope Apple makes a 4sXL With 1GB Ram, a better battery and LTE. Thats what I would call the perfect iPhone.

The iPhone 5 looks like a Tall Big Doof. The doofus 5.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
+1

The iPhone 4s was the greatest iPhone to date and I hope Apple makes a 4sXL With 1GB Ram, a better battery and LTE. Thats what I would call the perfect iPhone.

The iPhone 5 looks like a Tall Big Doof. The doofus 5.

lol i owned the 4s and the 5 pretty much blows it away in every aspect. in fact i can't even go back and hold the 4/4s in my hand anymore damn talk about feeling awkward. just doesn't feel right anymore. i also loved the design of the 4/4s and would have no problem saying i liked it better than the 5.

The screen did take a few minutes to get use to but by the end of the day last friday i still can't put it down.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Wow... I've had the iPhone 5 for about 5 days now. The black one 32 GB. LTE is spotty. Battery life not so great.

But the biggest gripe I have is the screen. First a digression. I've owned every single Apple iPhone to-date. The iPhone 5 is supposed to replace my white iPhone 4S. But I'm afraid to say that I like my iPhone 4S better. It looks better. It's sleeker. Smoother. Feels much better in the hand. Doesn't seem to scratch nearly as easily. And it fits my hand perfectly.

I think Apple screwed this up and the reason is simple: they failed to provide a new design around a larger screen. The current design is wrong: it's just an old design that doesn't fit a larger display. It's like it's jury rigged or something.

They instead said, let's make the screen 4" because we can fit an extra row of icons in there and people will still be able to use it with one hand. But that's not design first as Jobs pushed. How does it feel Tim Cook!

Does it look aAnd to me it feels just wrong and feel right? That's the most important thing.

Solution: Make the screen slightly wider and reduce the bezel on the sides and on the top and bottom. The Galaxy SIII is a great example of how a design can form itself around a large screen and be very ergonomically effective. It feels AMAZING in the hand. Yes, it's big, but it's incredible how nice it feels in the hand.

Apple's iPhone 5 feels sharp, obtuse, and looks weird. I'm struggling to get used to this guys. I wonder if I'm alone or if time will make it grow on me. Right now I'm hating it.

Does anyone fall for these paid PR postings? Not that complicated to identify. Long winded, properly written, consistently formatted. There are other posts on this, and other boards that follow the exact structure and format. First establishing they love apple, the problem and solution, and the suggestion that they will have to move on. On another note, as a developer, I have seen this before within industry and with other App developers.

Clue: The mention of the The Galaxy SIII and they way it is spelled properly. Writing is like a fingerprint, you need to be more sloppy, shorter and inconstant pharseing would help. Hopefully you get you $5.00

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I had my doubts about the screen size. Having small hands I have never gotten the enormous android designs. But I tried out the iPhone 5 and quickly found that in comparison, the 4S now seems absurdly short and stubby to me.

I find that in terms of displaying information, the 16:9 is quite good. An extra row of information holding it vertically, a wider, more natural feeling display while holding it horizontally.

Making the iPhone wider would not have appealed to me personally. As it is, the iPhone 5 still feels sleek and small, but with a bigger screen.

I have the iPhone original, 3GS, and the 4S, and the iPhone 5 is easily my favorite of them all.

That said, it's okay not to like it. If you don't like it, they still sell the 4S. There's an iPhone for everyone.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I have larger hands and the screen height is great but I totally agree its too narrow. Maybe another .3-.5 in wider would have been nice. I can't hold the phone without a case on it because it is too small!!!!

The speed of the system is much better then my 4 but other then that there isn't much that i see as "great" or "amazing" about this phone.

There is nothing revolutionary about this phone, but eh I sold my 4 for 270 and basically got a free up grade so it's worth it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.