Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
iPhone 5 is far from what Apple is truly capable of. Therein lies the problem.

When you're Apple & you rest on your laurels, coast on you're reputation, and shove out mediocre work, but claim it's your best...

Well we're seeing the push back now.

Apple's getting what Apple deserves.

Yeah, right, they sell more iPhone 5 than ever yet you say it's far from what Apple is truly capable of.

What's more damaging to Apple's reputation is the number of iPhone 5 arriving nicked and scratched out of the box. This QC oversight reflects poorly on them.

Last edited:

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
It's just the opposite for me. I took one look at the iPhone 5's screen and could never go back to using the 4S now. The screen size is perfect for me and it's made a huge difference in how much I use the phone (I use it a lot more). I barely ever use my GS2 now even though it's .3 inches bigger.....the 5 just looks and feels better.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I'm just confused why someone would replace a 4S with a 5 when they dislike everything changed about the 5. Do you purchase so blindly out of "we'll I assume I should always have the newest everything" without even considering if its something you want? First world problem hand wringing here at its finest.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Well of course. if you really did own all iphones going for the 16x9 ratio is a little weird at first. i havent questioned it since after about day 3 or 4. it seems fine to me now. Weird people adjust to things...

i thought you meant smoother power wise... not on the outside.
I dont understand your complaint here. you want it to feel like glass? it feel much better i think. The glass phone slid off everything.

overall the 4s and 4 are not smaller... OVERALL.
to me the bottom with the dock connecter and silver grills looks dated and old. The new phone looks much more modern. Its an improved 4s but holding it and looking at it in person you can tell its not the same.
did i say glass sides? i meant that the glass sticks out kind of like an oreo... It doesnt look as good as this version because everything is basically flush. It looks more appealing. The old phone looks like a sandwhich from the sides. It didnt make any sense to have raised glass. Just asking for breaks if somebody drops it from that alone. Also that makes it look worse and uneven. I love the way the new one looks like finished version in person. pictures are hard to capture how it feels and looks.

also how is the s3 nicer in one hand? its a two handed phone because it is too big. I appreciate using my phone with one hand most the time and this phone works perfect for that. i also have small hands. my one hand with an s3 would not work. Its a two handed phone...so no that is not a solution.

Lots of dribble here...

I've been testing the SIII and while it's bigger it's designed incredibly well and feels great in the hand.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
That's because he is used to a 3:2 iPhone display. Any change feels 'weird' at first, but I'm 100% certain that most (not all) users are not willing to go back to a 3.5" 3:2 display when they have had the iPhone 5 for a while.

I don't really get your smoother argument. The iPhone 5 has a flat aluminium backside? And you are trying to say that the iPhone 4S doesn't have a flat glass backside?

Aluminium feels better, in my opinion. And also, it's once piece: it's directly 'fused' with the bezel around the phone. That feels much better and smoother. Full stop.

This is your opinion. Just because you think the iPhone 4S looks better, doesn't mean others think the same.

Just because you think the iPhone 4S looks better, everyone should think the iPhone 4S looks better?

You did NOT name any facts. The iPhone 5 is in fact, over-all, smaller than an iPhone 4S or iPhone 4. Also, it is no fact that the iPhone 4S is easier to hold. This is, again, an opinion. but I can definitely see why people believe the iPhone 5 is easier to hold with one hand. After all, the iPhone 4S has these sharp edges. The iPhone 5's antenna band + back exists out of one piece, and there's a transition from the back to the antenna band. That feels much better in the hand.

Yeah, and even smaller handed people believe a 3.5" is too big. And bigger handed people, believe the 3.5" is too small (when a hand becomes bigger, it is more difficult to hold smaller items). So a 3.5" iPhone can, in fact, be harder to hold than a 4 inch iPhone for some people.

You know what he means. The front and the back. He means that the glass on the iPhone 4S, on both sides, really sticks out.

Irrelevant how tall you are. And again, just because you have an opinion about something, doesn't mean everyone else has that exact same opinion.

That would take away the typical "iPhone design" (top bezel, screen, same sized bottom bezel).

No one is forcing you to get an iPhone 5. Return it if you don't like it.

The iPhone 4S is smaller than the iPhone 5. Period. It fits the hand much better because it's smaller in height. With the 5 the hand has to bend and stretch to reach the top of the screen and grip and manipulate controls like the power button.

iPhone 4S is glossy back, 5 is not. 4S is smoother with a glossy finish. Fact.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Okay... I'll bite.

To answer your question, no I don't feel that way. It feels perfectly fine to me. Maybe your hands are awkward or something.

/Nothing else to discuss

n2deep

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Typical complaint from another Apple user with tiny hands. I do not like the new screen either. Just making it taller was a waste. Just an example of Apple struggling to keep the tiny hand Apple happy and still try to attract new users.

When you grow up and become an adult, your hands DO get larger.

You know what they say about tiny hands!

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Good grief! You've tried it. You hate it, feels weird in your hand, it's wrong, etc. RETURN IT!

You said it yourself:

So why bought the iPhone 5? Perhaps you'd like to try out the new iPhone? Sure. Now, you've tried it and don't like it. So exchange it before the return period is over. You seem to really like the SG3, so go for it. It's a great phone.

Or, go back to 4S.

Whether or not you like the design, it's still your opinion. Doesn't mean everyone will feel the same way.

Good grief!

Why do people respond with this to people not taking to the iPhone 5. Imagine if nobody came on here and offered their take on the iPhone 5 that wasn't positive? It's important for people to voice their opinions. It's good to know what people think of something. The "take it back" has nothing to do with coming onto an internet forum focused on Apple products where you're supposed to discussion your opinions about these things.

Anyway, I realize I can "take it back!" That's not the point. The point is I'm not happy with the design and tall skinny screen and am interested to see how alone I am on that.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
why did you buy it then? return it...

after using it for a week im comfortable with the screen. its the same size 16x9 as most other android phones. it doesnt feel awkward anymore to me.

scratching is the only thing that will happen more to this phone if you abuse it. Glass is more durable for scratches but worse for drops.

All your other points make no sense. 4s smoother? ok no...
4s does not look better at all. feels worse in the hand. is heavier. glass sides look horrible in comparison because they stick out of the frame.

lte is spotty yes. but it will get better and is super fast on it.

----------

do you mean you get diarrhea sometimes and dont like it or you get diarrhea and sometimes dont like it? :D

He didn't buy it. He's just lying. He just joined and is trying to convince apple users that the plasticky copycat Samsung is superior. Go away please.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
+1

The iPhone 4s was the greatest iPhone to date and I hope Apple makes a 4sXL With 1GB Ram, a better battery and LTE. Thats what I would call the perfect iPhone.

The iPhone 5 looks like a Tall Big Doof. The doofus 5.

I agree. I just wonder if the 5 will grow on me. So far it hasn't.

----------

Does anyone fall for these paid PR postings? Not that complicated to identify. Long winded, properly written, consistently formatted. There are other posts on this, and other boards that follow the exact structure and format. First establishing they love apple, the problem and solution, and the suggestion that they will have to move on. On another note, as a developer, I have seen this before within industry and with other App developers.

Clue: The mention of the The Galaxy SIII and they way it is spelled properly. Writing is like a fingerprint, you need to be more sloppy, shorter and inconstant pharseing would help. Hopefully you get you $5.00

I can assure you this is not a paid post. Stop accusing people that come on here and are critical of an Apple product.

I don't like the iPhone 5. Can you imagine that? Imagine someone not liking an Apple product.

For your information, I do not own a Galaxy SIII. I have a 4S, 5, and a Nokia Lumia 800.

----------

yep he could have just said that.

saved us all some time

What would save everyone time is every single person like you not post "return it!", or "you're a troll because you're critical of an Apple product!". Go. to. another. thread.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The iPhone 4S is smaller than the iPhone 5. Period. It fits the hand much better because it's smaller in height. With the 5 the hand has to bend and stretch to reach the top of the screen and grip and manipulate controls like the power button.

iPhone 4S is glossy back, 5 is not. 4S is smoother with a glossy finish. Fact.

My thumb can easily reach any part of the iPhone 5s screen.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I have larger hands and the screen height is great but I totally agree its too narrow. Maybe another .3-.5 in wider would have been nice. I can't hold the phone without a case on it because it is too small!!!!

The speed of the system is much better then my 4 but other then that there isn't much that i see as "great" or "amazing" about this phone.

There is nothing revolutionary about this phone, but eh I sold my 4 for 270 and basically got a free up grade so it's worth it to me.

I agree. It's too narrow. Apple had an opportunity to make it slightly wider so it's more proportional. And by reducing the bezel on the top and the bottom, the phone could have been physically very close in height to the 4S, making it easier to hold. But they did none of this. The phone looks and feels disproportionate.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I agree. It's too narrow. Apple had an opportunity to make it slightly wider so it's more proportional. And by reducing the bezel on the top and the bottom, the phone could have been physically very close in height to the 4S, making it easier to hold. But they did none of this. The phone looks and feels disproportionate.

Feels and looks fine to me. :confused:

Just wish more of my fave apps supported the entire display. Some have black bars.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
You're saying the 5 is hard to use with one hand but a s3 isn't in one hand? Makes no sense. You do know the measurements of the s3 right? You can't use it with one hand. Why are you trying to say it feels better in one hand? Makes no sense
The iPhones back feels better to me than all
Glass. Still don't understand what being smoother has to do with anything...

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I'm just confused why someone would replace a 4S with a 5 when they dislike everything changed about the 5. Do you purchase so blindly out of "we'll I assume I should always have the newest everything" without even considering if its something you want? First world problem hand wringing here at its finest.

Why do people on the Internet feel the need to argue, make broadsweeping accusations, oversimplify everything, and generally act unpleasant?

1. I cannot recommend a Galaxy SIII. Android sucks. But I do like the design. So there you go. The whole "he's a Samsung troll" is out the window.
2. It's very hard to form a reasoned opinion of something without actually using it in real life. I tested it for about 10 minutes in the busy Apple Store. I immediately didn't like the tall skinny screen. However, we're developing applications for iOS so it is bought for business reasons. I've been using it for the past 5 days testing it out and seeing what we can do with it. That said, I do own a 4S and have BOTH phones. It's not a matter of "take it back!". We'll be using both phones.

As stated, to me the phone looks disproportionate. Some others within this thread also agree, so I'm not alone. This is the information I'm interested in extracting by posting on here. To see how many other feel the same way as me.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
You're saying the 5 is hard to use with one hand but a s3 isn't in one hand? Makes no sense. You do know the measurements of the s3 right? You can't use it with one hand. Why are you trying to say it feels better in one hand? Makes no sense
The iPhones back feels better to me than all
Glass. Still don't understand what being smoother has to do with anything...

I never said the SIII was easy to use with one hand. Never said that ever. You said that.

I don't think the SIII is easy to use with one hand. What I think is that it feels very nice in the hand, better than the iPhone 5 with its slim, contoured design. Yes, you can actually hold an SIII in one hand. But that doesn't mean you can use it very well with one hand. During my limited testing with it, I prefer its design over the iPhone 5, but I don't like Android: I'm too invested in Apple.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
I agree about the S3 being very ergonomically designed and feeling great in the hand, but Android still isn't fully up to par yet and the device isn't easy to use one handed. It feels better in the hand than the iPhone 5, but just because you don't like the 16:9 aspect ratio doesn't mean that the iPhone 5 isn't an incredible device. I've been watching movies and playing games with the new display and I love it. To each their own.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I respect OP's personal review on the iP5. Just from reading other's positive and negative reviews, and seeing the 5 for myself, I know that I'd be content with my 4S. There are similar concerns OP presented that others have also voiced in this forum.

Sooner or later, Apple will have to redesign the 5, whether it be 2 years from now or in 4,6, or 8 years. I respect those that have said that the 5 is a total redesign, but I, like many others, think the 5 looks to similar to the 4S design-wise. And I think, people just want a new phone all-around - specs and design IMO.

If I really need and were ready for an upgrade, I'd choose the 5, because the capabilities of what the 5 offers is enough for me.

appleattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I respect OP's personal review on the iP5. Just from reading other's positive and negative reviews, and seeing the 5 for myself, I know that I'd be content with my 4S. There are similar concerns OP presented that others have also voiced in this forum.

Sooner or later, Apple will have to redesign the 5, whether it be 2 years from now or in 4,6, or 8 years. I respect those that have said that the 5 is a total redesign, but I, like many others, think the 5 looks to similar to the 4S design-wise. And I think, people just want a new phone all-around - specs and design IMO.

If I really need and were ready for an upgrade, I'd choose the 5, because the capabilities of what the 5 offers is enough for me.

Thanks.

To everyone else, there are things I like about the iPhone 5:

1. Better screen contrast.
2. Faster.
3. Good low light camera.

But honestly that's about it. It's just not terribly innovative compared to the iPhone 4S. Unfortunately, there isn't really anything else out there. We're committed to developing for iOS. I'd like a really cool phone option other than the iPhone but all other mobile operating systems pretty much suck.

All this said, I cannot agree with Steve Jobs more on this when he said:

"Design is how something works."

Repeat that a few times and it becomes incredibly clear. You can quote specs all you want. You can talk about better cameras, slightly faster App launch times... If it doesn't feel and look good, it's a tough sell. And this is one of the first Apple products in a long time that I'm turning my nose up precisely because the device seems to have bad design. Bad design because:

1. It's too tall and skinny.
2. The edges are sharp and unfriendly.

What I think we're witnessing here is the Post-Steve Jobs era. While Tim Cook was jerking off with investors about dividends and fighting Samsung, he forgot about product management. Steve Jobs was the ultimate product manager. After reading Isaccson's bio of Jobs, the one thing I really liked in the book was the design process. How Steve would go into the design studio and not even look at what people were doing on computers. He'd just sit right down at the prototype table and feel the styrofoam designs. He'd eliminate half a dozen and set aside one or two he liked and wanted to focus on refining. And on and on the design iterations would go.

He's not around anymore. I have a feeling the 5 would look and feel different with Jobs around. A larger screen like this demands a brand new, thought from the ground up, design. And it should be wider.

For anyone who really likes the 5, I get it. There's lots to like about it. Unfortunately, the design seems to be all wrong. And as an aside, although I haven't mentioned this, I too was a victim of a nicked and dented phone out of the box. I had to take it back and get a plain vanilla replacement from the Apple Store. As you can see, I'm not trolling this. I'm just focused on what I think are major design shortcomings.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I disagree 100%. My LTE is insanely fast and my battery life is unreal. I could never make it through a full day on my 4S. I easily make it a full day with at least 30% left when I go to bed every night.

I think the design is great. I can easily use with one hand. I had the gs3 and the galaxy note and I couldn't do that with either, the proportions didn't feel right and they were a pain to use.

If you don't like just return it, no point in complaining.

I also don't understand people saying the iPhone 5 needed a total redesign. Why on earth would apple change the design to the best selling phone in history?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.