Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, today I installed Java on my computer by going to "Java Preferences" application. But when I go to the "http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp" it says that the java version I have is an old version and it gives a download link for the newer version.

Isn't apple suppose to update java? If then I should not be replacing what java website offers for my OS version?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Isn't apple suppose to update java? If then I should not be replacing what java website offers for my OS version?
Oracle has taken over responsibility for developing Java for MacOS X. Java is now no different than any other third-party software. Until Oracle makes Java available on the Mac App Store, the user is responsible for identifying and applying updates.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Oracle has taken over responsibility for developing Java for MacOS X. Java is now no different than any other third-party software. Until Oracle makes Java available on the Mac App Store, the user is responsible for identifying and applying updates.

Does this means I will no longer get java updates from apple?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
is there a way to remove the version of java that we get via updates?

Follow this to remove Java 6 then go to Oracle and get Java 7 to install.

Does this means I will no longer get java updates from apple?

That is the plan, but I noticed even after the Oracle Java 7 release/install Apple still released an update to Java 6... so I don't know when Apple will stop this like they said they would.

whiskymac

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Spey Valley
I'm confused :confused:

At the end of August I thought there was a security vulnerability discovered in Java 7, that could allow malicious code to run on a Java-enabled computers, Mac or Windows.

Java SE7 (1.7) is vulnerable

Java SE6 (1.6) or lower is safer to use on a Mac/Windows

Can anyone confirm this?

Mac

:apple:iMac:apple:iPad:apple:iPhone

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm confused :confused:

At the end of August I thought there was a security vulnerability discovered in Java 7, that could allow malicious code to run on a Java-enabled computers, Mac or Windows.

Java SE7 (1.7) is vulnerable

Java SE6 (1.6) or lower is safer to use on a Mac/Windows

Can anyone confirm this?

Mac

:apple:iMac:apple:iPad:apple:iPhone

If you are talking about this report, both 6 and 7 are vulnerable.

To be clear these vulnerabilities are all from using Java in the browser, not the Java runtime for Java based stand alone apps. If you just uncheck Enable Java in Safari you are safe.

wfN92.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.