Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 to Reduce Inadvertent Cellular Data Usage

Apple has issued a Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 devices this evening to eliminate an issue where Verizon Cellular Data would be used while the iPhone 5 is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Quote:
This carrier settings update resolves an issue in which, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Follow these instructions to install the update.

1. Tap Settings > General > About.
2. Wait for the following alert to appear: (top right)
3. Tap OK to install the update.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see "slide to power off".
5. Slide to power off.
6. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on.

Note: To finish the installation of the update, your iPhone 5 must be turned off and then on again. After your iPhone restarts, tap Settings > General > About, then scroll down to Carrier and verify that "Verizon 13.1" is displayed.
The update has to be performed somewhat manually but is delivered over-the-air, per the instructions above. Apple describes the update as an "important new carrier update" but doesn't provide many details on how/when these circumstances might arise.

Article Link: Apple Releases Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 to Reduce Inadvertent Cellular Data Usage
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:58 PM   #2
ixodes
macrumors 601

This is a welcome development.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3
kycophpd
macrumors 6502

So they admit there was a problem. Explains my over 5Gb of usage so far.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Ok, so I really hope they work with Verizon to credit people's accounts for usage they never should have consumed.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:00 PM   #5
AzStriker88
macrumors newbie

Ya i just got this message before this article came out and was not sure if I should do the update.
AzStriker88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

The interesting thing is that when I check my data usage on my iPhone, it is much higher than when I check on Verizon's website.
gmanist1000 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:01 PM   #7
dmbfan41
macrumors regular

Well this explains why I used 400MB in the first few days.
dmbfan41 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
japanime
macrumors 65816

I wonder if this affects CDMA carriers outside the US, too.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:02 PM   #9
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

This must explain how I used 1GB in one day (no speed test or streaming).
taedouni is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
carterja
macrumors newbie

what about AT&T? Hit 1gb/day of use while ON Wifi. =\
carterja is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:02 PM   #11
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

This is going to cause a major headache for verizon. good. EVERYONE make sure you don't have to pay any overages at the end of this month. If they charge you claim it was the problem before apple's update
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:03 PM   #12
irod87
macrumors member

So glad this came out, hope it works. Ive gone through 2.3gb in about 9 days with wifi usage and low streaming.
irod87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Wildgift
macrumors regular

But I hope this fixes the absurdly high data usage while on lte.
Wildgift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:05 PM   #14
AzStriker88
macrumors newbie

I was able to keep unlimited data from verizon but I was wondering why my data was so high make sure you dont have to pay an overage charge this month
AzStriker88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:06 PM   #15
ckelley
macrumors regular

The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.
ckelley is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
2 GB already. I knew something was wrong, just not what.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:07 PM   #17
codyc1515
macrumors member

I have had issues with my iPhone data usage not adding up with the data usage on the carriers website, however, I am using Telecom New Zealand not Verizon, strange..
codyc1515 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:12 PM   #18
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

"Somewhat manually?" Man, if it were automatic, everyone would be freaking out about Apple doing things without user intervention. You just can't win.
Undecided is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:12 PM   #19
101pctech
macrumors newbie

I experienced that too on AT&T. I just turn off cellular data when I'm on wifi. Saves a but load of MB
101pctech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:13 PM   #20
faroZ06
Banned

Does anyone here have a clue about this? Under what circumstances does it use cell data instead of wifi?

EDIT: Never mind, ckelly might have found the answer.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Westside guy
macrumors 601

I would like to thank all you Guinea pigs for testing this release for the rest of us, what with Maps and now ridiculously high cellular data usage.

Think I'll stay on 5.1.1 a bit longer...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:15 PM   #22
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelley View Post
The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.
Well, here is how you test it. First of all, don't install the update just yet. Then, go somewhere with weak wifi and good LTE. Maybe you can also check to see if it's using up cell data. Go to whatismyip.com. Check your IP address. See if that matches the wifi network's public IP address. If it doesn't, you're on LTE.
faroZ06 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:15 PM   #23
kingsrule5
macrumors member

They need to do this for AT&T as well. I had it use 800mb overnight because of iCloud backup issues.
kingsrule5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:18 PM   #24
Spooner83
macrumors regular

How can you tap and hold the power button and slide the bar? Your phone will shutdown before you can slide the bar lol
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:19 PM   #25
carterja
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsrule5 View Post
They need to do this for AT&T as well. I had it use 800mb overnight because of iCloud backup issues.

I noticed if you disable LTE (on AT&T devices) it will help the issue ... for the time being. It needs to be fixed because I do not want to flip flop back and forth just to conserve.
carterja is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion