Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Adutrumque
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Handbrake - iPhone 5 Format

Hi,

Iam not really sure if this is the right section but how do I use handbrake.fr
to make videos fit my iPhone 5.

The program wont allow me to make changes to the parameters.

I want to convert avi files to fit 640x1136


Thanks in advance.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adutrumque View Post
Hi,

Iam not really sure if this is the right section but how do I use handbrake.fr
to make videos fit my iPhone 5.

The program wont allow me to make changes to the parameters.

I want to convert avi files to fit 640x1136


Thanks in advance.
What's in the AVI? Generally, they're standard definition MS-MPEG4 or xvid / divx stuff that you in no way want to upsize (AVI was the main format back in the SD days but no longer now, in the HD one). As software playback of SD videos doesn't tax the CPU much (as opposed to HD or Full HD), you may not want to convert it at all but use a player capable of supporting the video format inside; for example, GoodPlayer.


Please post a screenshot of MediaInfo showing the AVI info so that I can point you to the most efficient solution. (Again, all depends on the video format inside.)
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Adutrumque
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
What's in the AVI? Generally, they're standard definition MS-MPEG4 or xvid / divx stuff that you in no way want to upsize (AVI was the main format back in the SD days but no longer now, in the HD one). As software playback of SD videos doesn't tax the CPU much (as opposed to HD or Full HD), you may not want to convert it at all but use a player capable of supporting the video format inside; for example, GoodPlayer.


Please post a screenshot of MediaInfo showing the AVI info so that I can point you to the most efficient solution. (Again, all depends on the video format inside.)
Okilidokili - here comes

http://i.imgur.com/EZgee.png
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adutrumque View Post
Okilidokili - here comes

http://i.imgur.com/EZgee.png
Yup, 640*360 and (most probably) XviD. All depends on whether you want to use a third-party app to play it back. If you don't, just use HandBrake to reencode it into H.264 (the default parameters will do). If you do, get for example GoodPlayer, which plays these SD videos just fine and has a lot of features. The following version will also have iPhone 5 support.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Adutrumque
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Yup, 640*360 and (most probably) XviD. All depends on whether you want to use a third-party app to play it back. If you don't, just use HandBrake to reencode it into H.264 (the default parameters will do). If you do, get for example GoodPlayer, which plays these SD videos just fine and has a lot of features. The following version will also have iPhone 5 support.
What? So ure saying pic frame 640x360 will work good on the iP5?
I thought it needed 640x1136
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adutrumque View Post
What? So ure saying pic frame 640x360 will work good on the iP5?
I thought it needed 640x1136
It'll automatically upscale the video to full screen - actually, very few video player apps let for playing back the video at their original size (this is why I've written a full HD video player that doesn't use scaling and, therefore, offers the best visual quality possible).
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Adutrumque
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
It'll automatically upscale the video to full screen - actually, very few video player apps let for playing back the video at their original size (this is why I've written a full HD video player that doesn't use scaling and, therefore, offers the best visual quality possible).
So Ill use iPhone 4 Preset?
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adutrumque View Post
So Ill use iPhone 4 Preset?
Basically, the default "Normal" will do fine - it won't resize the video, "only" make it much better compressed and iOS-native.
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Adutrumque
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Basically, the default "Normal" will do fine - it won't resize the video, "only" make it much better compressed and iOS-native.
Are you doing it this way or do you have anything else in store cause I want the best quality and the best optimization in terms for battery performance I can get.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adutrumque View Post
Are you doing it this way or do you have anything else in store cause I want the best quality and the best optimization in terms for battery performance I can get.
1. Basically, the H.264 hardware decoder uses the same power to decompress all kinds of footage. I've done some serious battery life tests (I've even written several articles of this stuff) and found out that the encoding parameters have little (if any) effect on the battery life.

2. you can safely use the "High Profile" encoding as well - the footage will be of better quality but the transcoding will take a lot more time.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Adutrumque
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
1. Basically, the H.264 hardware decoder uses the same power to decompress all kinds of footage. I've done some serious battery life tests (I've even written several articles of this stuff) and found out that the encoding parameters have little (if any) effect on the battery life.

2. you can safely use the "High Profile" encoding as well - the footage will be of better quality but the transcoding will take a lot more time.
Okay, thanks for the response. I will check this out. If I have any problems I will be here, replying
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:38 AM   #12
Menel
macrumors 68040
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Run it for the 720P AppleTV 2.

720p is close enough to iPhone 5 resolution and same aspect ratio
__________________
iPhone 5, iPad Air TMo, Mac mini i5
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:27 PM   #13
robertestx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to robertestx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
1. Basically, the H.264 hardware decoder uses the same power to decompress all kinds of footage. I've done some serious battery life tests (I've even written several articles of this stuff) and found out that the encoding parameters have little (if any) effect on the battery life.
.
Hi Menneisyys2 - do you mind pointing me to the articles you wrote?

Thanks!

Robert
robertestx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 05:02 AM   #14
jaihindhreddy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Do this

Open Handbrake, open the file in it, click on the iPhone 4 preset, under the resolution box, set the "anamorphic" to none. Voila! You now can change the resolution. But as it has been said by others, changing the resolution isn't necessary. Now, go to the video tab, make sure that video codec is h.264, framerate is same as source and enter the average bitrate as 750 cuz the input file has similar bitrate. For high quality(but slow encode), select two pass encoding. This means that in the first pass, it will see where high bitrate is required and where low and in the second pass will adjust the bitrate optimally. Go to the audio tab and select the bitrate as 112 kbps. There you go. Now press start and enjoy!
jaihindhreddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:44 AM   #15
Ronnocor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I converted some files using Handbrake's iPad settings (only thing I changed was boosting the quality by moving the main slider all the way to the right). Then I put them in DCIM/100DICAM/... folders with the name format xxx_####.m4v and they imported to my iPad, however they will not play. Is this a Handbrake conversion issue?
Ronnocor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:19 AM   #16
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnocor View Post
I converted some files using Handbrake's iPad settings (only thing I changed was boosting the quality by moving the main slider all the way to the right). Then I put them in DCIM/100DICAM/... folders with the name format xxx_####.m4v and they imported to my iPad, however they will not play. Is this a Handbrake conversion issue?
Why don't you jailbreak and use symlinks for direct video access (see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464236 for a tutorial)? It's so much better and easier...
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:52 PM   #17
flaxx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
The iPhone 4S/5 support h.264 High Profile 4.1. So I think making a custom preset with the following settings is best:
  1. Select the "High Profile" preset
  2. Use the frame rate drop-down and select 30 (which should automatically select VFR)
  3. Click on the audio tab and make sure there's only one track (the audio settings should match the "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset)
  4. Click the + button on the preset slide-out. Name it iPhone 5 and put in a resolution of 1136x640
flaxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second internal Advanced Format Drive - Won't Initialize / Format 1Tb 7K1000 OSX 10.9 ShaggyDog MacBook Pro 2 Nov 28, 2013 01:41 PM
Handbrake for Apple TV / iPhone / Mac APK Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Mar 4, 2013 04:24 PM
Handbrake format setting brn2rnjk1 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Oct 27, 2012 01:11 PM
Handbrake iPhone 5 full screen? AFPoster iPhone 0 Oct 18, 2012 10:16 AM
iphone 3g format and rejailbreak? Rochenel iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Aug 9, 2012 02:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC