Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:02 AM   #1
mustu
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 and Vodafone India

Hi I have been using my iPhone with my Vodafone in the UK but I have come to Bombay ,India and have put a local sim card in the phone.

I have noticed that when I turn the phone on I get ...searching....... then it goes to like No service for a like 3 to 5 seconds and then I get the vodafone signal.

People who are using a iPhone 5 in India on vodafone please can you check the same and let me know if you are getting a similar thing with the network.

Thanks.
mustu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:20 AM   #2
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustu View Post
Hi I have been using my iPhone with my Vodafone in the UK but I have come to Bombay ,India and have put a local sim card in the phone.

I have noticed that when I turn the phone on I get ...searching....... then it goes to like No service for a like 3 to 5 seconds and then I get the vodafone signal.

People who are using a iPhone 5 in India on vodafone please can you check the same and let me know if you are getting a similar thing with the network.

Thanks.
Does it work though?!
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:26 PM   #3
mustu
macrumors regular

Yes it does very well!

Can someone please try this and let me!

Thanks
mustu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
ankitbhardwaj89
macrumors newbie

I do face the same thing on my iPhone. Not sure if it is a problem from vodafone side and or if the phone itself.

Moreover, my signal goes off randomly and then No Service and then back again.. it happens like within 7-8 seconds..
ankitbhardwaj89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:56 PM   #5
bushido
macrumors 601

isnt this pretty normal when u turn it back on?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks.
It happens for me as well on AT&T in the US. Turn phone on, it searches, then goes to no service, then after a few seconds it shows the AT&T signal. I think it normal for the phone to do this upon powering on or coming from airplane mode.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Newjackboy
macrumors member

Quote:

My iPhone 5 (originally on Vodafone UK) never use to do it.

Then got it unlocked and now using on o2 UK. It now does that "searching, no service" story every time when loading up. Only shows no service for a second before switching to the o2 sign
Newjackboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjackboy View Post
My iPhone 5 (originally on Vodafone UK) never use to do it.

Then got it unlocked and now using on o2 UK. It now does that "searching, no service" story every time when loading up. Only shows no service for a second before switching to the o2 sign
Mine does that. It's normal.
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:07 AM   #9
ParagJain
macrumors regular

Happens the same for Airtel as well; Its normal.
ParagJain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:46 AM   #10
masti13harsh
macrumors member

I am also using iPhone 5 16gb black and vodafone as my carrier(from delhi).. I also face the same thing and its normal
masti13harsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:37 AM   #11
araje
macrumors regular

Yes the same thing on AT&T in the US as well. I think it is briefly for just 2 seconds and not that bad.

A question for those on Airtel and iPhone 5.
What do you see on your phone - is it 4G or 3G. What's the speed on a normal day? I know it won't latch to LTE.

Here for reference on AT&T, it goes to as high as 45Mbps when on LTE, about 15 Mbps when on 4G. I haven't seen it drop to 3G yet so can't say.

Can some one write about the speeds we get on airtel and Vodafone. I wanted to make a choice which one to use.
araje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:45 AM   #12
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

it's normal as it can get i always get searching then no service and then 3-4 secs signal when i switch carriers like you
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:54 PM   #13
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

I was hoping for some assistance from some nice Indians

I'm visiting Mumbai and Goa next week from the USA and I am bringing my unlocked iPhone 5. Someone has arranged for me to have a Rs 250 prepaid nano-SIM from airtel when I arrive.
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1) Is it as easy as inserting the new Airtel SIM and all works well? Or are some setting changes needed in the iPhone?

2) I visited the Airtel website, but I cannot figure out how to pick a specific prepaid plan. The page doesn't explain how many SMS/minutes/data is included in various plans, or how to select the plan I want. Can someone explain how I do this? What plans are available prepaid? I am traveling for 2 weeks in India.

Thanks!
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:16 AM   #14
isaket
macrumors newbie

my answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zub3qin View Post
I was hoping for some assistance from some nice Indians

I'm visiting Mumbai and Goa next week from the USA and I am bringing my unlocked iPhone 5. Someone has arranged for me to have a Rs 250 prepaid nano-SIM from airtel when I arrive.
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1) Is it as easy as inserting the new Airtel SIM and all works well? Or are some setting changes needed in the iPhone?

2) I visited the Airtel website, but I cannot figure out how to pick a specific prepaid plan. The page doesn't explain how many SMS/minutes/data is included in various plans, or how to select the plan I want. Can someone explain how I do this? What plans are available prepaid? I am traveling for 2 weeks in India.

Thanks!
Go to prepaidweb.airtelworld.in have an account there for your airtel mobile number , using that you can subscribe to and know various Airtel plans.
Also you can know the detail at airtel.in just choose the respective circle( state of your visit and get various details ) for any more query you can contact me at isaket@me.com, I am a happy airtel user and an apple fan from India.
Have a nice day and feel free to ask.
isaket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:52 AM   #15
AngadP
macrumors newbie

New SIM activation

I got an iphone from UK which i was using there with O2. Its an unlocked phone.
In India i got a new sim from Vodafone. Now even though they say the number has been activated, the phone still shows No Service. Is there anything that needs to be done in the phone to make this work ?

Thanks
AngadP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
RedVirus
macrumors newbie

I am Airtel's Hyderabad network and it does not happen to me! May be you have a faulty SIM.
RedVirus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:57 AM   #17
skyperbon
macrumors newbie

Searching -> No Signal and then getting the signal is not a problem with the phone or the SIM. It happens to me whenever I turn on my phone.

Even my friend who has the iPhone 5 has the same outcome.

I don't think there is any problem with it. Might just take time to connect to the network.
skyperbon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone