Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:31 PM   #1
nawoo
macrumors member

My iPhone 5 died for no reason at all..

Hi Guys, I need to some advice here.

I got my iphone 5 on launch day and have been using it perfectly well for the past 2 weeks. I've been in France for the last 2 weeks on holiday.

So basically it was working perfectly fine on Saturday morning at 50% Battery life. Then I went out, driving in my car with the phone in my pocket. When I took it out to use it again, it just wouldn't start up and was completely dead.

Took it to Apple store in Paris and the guy said that I had a red dot in the water sensor, resulting in it dying. Now this is really perplexing because I have never even let the phone touch water at all. It was always either in my pocket, or on the bed, or on the table. Water has never ever touched it.... I've never taken it into the shower.. I've never spilled a drink onto it or dropped it into one.. I've never walked in the rain with it... so I am really perplexed as to how on earth it can just die for no reason when it was working perfectly fine just a few moments earlier..

Apple says on its website that water damage isn't covered by warranty... but my case now is ridiculous because I have never ever let the phone touch water, and am totally perplexed as to how the water sensor could even turn red...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
nawoo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Maybe it happened and you didnt notice it.
Have them check the other moist sensors too.
What one turned red? The one on the bottom I assume, since the i5 doesnt have one on top any more.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:34 PM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

Call Apple care, you'll have better luck with them.
ECUpirate44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Russiaone
macrumors 6502

Do you wear boxers or briefs? Perhaps a bit of pee got into it? Seriously, that's all I can think of.

Try taking it to a different Apple Store. Or maybe look up methods to remove the red dot.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:36 PM   #5
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawoo View Post

I got my iphone 5 on launch day and have been using it perfectly well for the past 2 weeks. I've been in France for the last 2 weeks on holiday.

So basically it was working perfectly fine on Saturday morning at 50% Battery life. Then I went out, driving in my car with the phone in my pocket. When I took it out to use it again, it just wouldn't start up and was completely dead.

Took it to Apple store in Paris and the guy said that I had a red dot in the water sensor, resulting in it dying. Now this is really perplexing because I have never even let the phone touch water at all. It was always either in my pocket, or on the bed, or on the table. Water has never ever touched it.... I've never taken it into the shower.. I've never spilled a drink onto it or dropped it into one.. I've never walked in the rain with it... so I am really perplexed as to how on earth it can just die for no reason when it was working perfectly fine just a few moments earlier..

Apple says on its website that water damage isn't covered by warranty... but my case now is ridiculous because I have never ever let the phone touch water, and am totally perplexed as to how the water sensor could even turn red...

Have you tried to get your phone in DFU mode? My friend iPhone 4S died after an update he went to the store and the store rep told him he had to pay $200 out of warranty. I put his phone in DFU set it up as new problem solve.
LoloBond is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russiaone View Post
Do you wear boxers or briefs? Perhaps a bit of pee got into it? Seriously, that's all I can think of.

Try taking it to a different Apple Store. Or maybe look up methods to remove the red dot.
WTF kind of question is that?

Probably from sweat in the OP's pocket. Those sensors don't just turn red without contacting moisture.
AlphaDogg is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:

I really don't want to know how you carry your phone around, but in my experience both of those options are impossible. Also from pee to attempted fraud in one jump, not too shabby.
Interstella5555 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
I think Boxers or briefs does make a difference.
Tell the Apple rep what kind you use and they will determine the rest.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:27 PM   #9
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
What one turned red? The one on the bottom I assume, since the i5 doesnt have one on top any more.
Someone mentioned that the sensor is now in the SIM tray area.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Someone mentioned that the sensor is now in the SIM tray area.
Im not 100% but I think there's one on the bottom and also one inside.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:33 PM   #11
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a

I trust you are eventually able to get an exchange iP5, OP. Good luck to you in your attempt(s).
erratikmind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 01:42 PM   #12
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I noticed something today. I was in a pretty hot and VERY humid room and when I took my iPhone out of the pocket I noticed the whole back aluminum plate was wet. I don't mean like misty, I mean wet. I automatically thought of this thread which I had read yesterday.
dasx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 02:24 PM   #13
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Maybe, something like this happened. Read this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1451349
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:51 PM   #14
johnnyddiscoduk
macrumors newbie

My iPhone 5 is reborn!

The same exact thing just happened to me.
I solved the problem by holding the home and power buttons down for 10-20 seconds. See this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=0&tstart=0:)
johnnyddiscoduk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:59 PM   #15
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:

I've had this issue with my iPhone 4S. I had to work a long shift on a summer day and apparently sweat got into the iPhone? And there was a red dot in the bottom connector, took it to the apple store and I just told them I didn't drop it. He went in the back openend the iPhone and since there are also built in water sensors inside the phone, they were all inactive so I got a new iPhone . If they deny to replace, ask them to open the phone and check on the sensors inside
WhiteIphone5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:47 AM   #16
youglobal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyddiscoduk View Post
The same exact thing just happened to me.
I solved the problem by holding the home and power buttons down for 10-20 seconds. See this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=0&tstart=0:)
Thanks for posting johnnyddiscoduk - 2 months later, you're still providing solutions! Happened to me just now at a time Apple support wouldn't have answered (and really, with a company as big and global and as technology based as Apple, why DOESN'T it have 24/7 'phone support ?!!).
youglobal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Keeping the phone in steamy bathroom can trip the sensors. Argue with them about it. Escalate it to the manager and keep demanding you did not drop it in water. It's in their policy to exchange it if you are persistent.
Jalopybox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:01 AM   #18
canwe3
macrumors member

this has become a VERY common ISSUE with iphone5 and apple needs to address this. It average about 1-2 a month. Even battery full the phone will just die. You need to reset using POWER and HOME button. I will NEVER EVER trust apple after this. I missed my alarm TWICE and important emails. when I had android it has NEVER failed me. After this phone I might just move to android. At least that never crashed on me.
canwe3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:34 AM   #19
Romf
macrumors member

Quote:

I had a problem with my iphone 4 (or 4s, don't remember) and when taking it to the Apple Store in Paris the guy told me I had water damage and that warranty couldn't be used.
I didn't remember having the phone near water (although as said maybe happened once without notifying), so i was upset and I told the guy that warranty is required by law and if he didn't want to take my phone under warranty for this reason that I would like him to open it and prove that my problem was due to a water damage (knowing that their process of repair isn't opening the phone and giving it back to you repaired, but changing it for a refurbished one)... And then that I would accept to pay for the repair.
Well I don't know if my speech helped at all but after a few minutes the genius agreed to take the phone under warranty.
Maybe you can try something like that... But I think as said you have to get lucky with the guy who is assigned to your case anyway.
Romf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:30 AM   #20
Itxdjx
macrumors member

I would just pay to get a new one.
Itxdjx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:18 AM   #21
miscend
macrumors member

Could be rain or excess moisture from a humid room.
miscend is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone