Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tock172

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
San Diego
I absolutely love taking photos with my iPhone. My iPhone 4 served this purpose with excellence for over 2 years, unfortunately with my iPhone 5, I'm having a slight issue. I've read about the 'purple haze' issue, but mine is different. See the green dot appearing on my photos? Any ideas? Perhaps it's time to make a Genius Bar appointment?

F8465F7F-7482-48C8-9D98-03B4C0F320CF-4890-00000273B29A81CA.jpg

D2C29F48-2044-471A-8D97-D9E457E2A907-4890-00000273AE119E82.jpg

82FEB4BB-4C88-46FD-9DD4-94E982280DC5-4890-00000273A8CCECD7.jpg

C54CCED6-1D19-4074-814E-405E857FD1B8-4890-00000273A4B62BC5.jpg

23EF4065-81A4-4B99-B9C4-EB58DF73CE5F-4890-0000027399C09307.jpg

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I absolutely love taking photos with my iPhone. My iPhone 4 served this purpose with excellence for over 2 years, unfortunately with my iPhone 5, I'm having a slight issue. I've read about the 'purple haze' issue, but mine is different. See the green dot appearing on my photos? Any ideas? Perhaps it's time to make a Genius Bar appointment?

Personally, I think it look cool, especially the last one, but it'd definitely get annoying after a while. Definitely go in for a Genius Bar appointment.

ihasiphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
That spot is from lens flare, given that the position changes depending on where the bright light source is. Does it appear in a flatly lit scene?

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I get that too when the sun is directly in the frame. It's a lens flare or reflection of some surface inside the camera assembly. I assume that's its possibly due to the smaller (shallower) camera assembly on the iPhone 5 (but really don't know if that's the case.) Interested to know if it's "normal" as well.

Mike

tock172

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
San Diego
I get that too when the sun is directly in the frame. It's a lens flare or reflection of some surface inside the camera assembly. I assume that's its possibly due to the smaller (shallower) camera assembly on the iPhone 5 (but really don't know if that's the case.) Interested to know if it's "normal" as well.

Mike

Do you have any photos containing the dot that you'd be willing to share? I'd like to see how it looks with other people's phones.

That spot is from lens flare, given that the position changes depending on where the bright light source is. Does it appear in a flatly lit scene?

No, in photos without a bright light source, there is no dot/flare.

nice pics, San Diego?

Thank you! And you are correct! :D

ihasiphone

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
If it only appears with a bright light source, it's likely just the normal effects of such. If you are happy otherwise with the rest of the phone there is no point in exchanging. The next phone will do that as well. It is the result of lens design constraints and challenging lighting situations. I think your camera is A-OK.

DJsteveSD

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Dallas, TX
Do you have any photos containing the dot that you'd be willing to share? I'd like to see how it looks with other people's phones.

No, in photos without a bright light source, there is no dot/flare.

Thank you! And you are correct! :D

thought so, recognized the Scripps Pier and La Jolla

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The older iphones don't have this issue, I have all of them including the first iphone, iphone 3G, iphone 4 and iphone 4S and this is the first one to show a green dot when there is strong light light.

I have noticed this today and check my second iphone 5 and it also has this issue.

It is normal for the iphone 5, what I don't understand is why this new iphone 5 display that green dot and the iphone 4S don't have this issue.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
So, does this affect all iPhone 5s or just some? As others have said, it appears when direct light is in shot. Here's a video demonstrating it. Its position changes when the angle changes. Note, it's not a reflection on the wall as it might look at first, it's in the lens and only appears in the photo/video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o39XRuVD3Mg

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I don't have anything to offer you, but where the hell do you live? It looks absolutely beautiful.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I don't have anything to offer you, but where the hell do you live? It looks absolutely beautiful.

Hah, thank you. It's actually my parents' house in Devon, UK, where I was for Christmas. I passed on the message to my mum :)

Gigi1129

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Green dot still issue with IPhone 6 plus

Seriously, the only answer is to point your camera away from the light source??? This is a little hard to do when you are taking a picture of a sunrise/sunset. Any other fixes?

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Seriously, the only answer is to point your camera away from the light source??? This is a little hard to do when you are taking a picture of a sunrise/sunset. Any other fixes?

Don't take pictures of the sun while resurrecting a zombie thread?

Or Lens flare! How does it work?

Gigi1129

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Seriously, just got iPhone 6 plus which has the Halo and green dot. My 4S did not do that. My husbands 5 does not do that yet this thread seems to suggest that all recent iPhones have this problem. So sorry, but my problem just started. I now know the problem with what causes it but except for, don't point your camera at the light source, I have not seen any plausible solution.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Seriously, just got iPhone 6 plus which has the Halo and green dot. My 4S did not do that. My husbands 5 does not do that yet this thread seems to suggest that all recent iPhones have this problem. So sorry, but my problem just started. I now know the problem with what causes it but except for, don't point your camera at the light source, I have not seen any plausible solution.

The problem with lens flare is that your solutions are pretty limited. All modern cameras will produce lens flare pointed at a very bright light source. Depending on the camera design, the flare's size, angle, hue may be different or even pleasing to the eye. (bigger DSLR's in my limited experience can produce a pleasing lens flare sometimes)

You can try slight angle changes to move it to a less noticeable area or even off the picture depending on the light source & intensity but you may not like how your picture is framed at that point.

There might be filters you can try (physical or software) but I'd let a real photographer chime in on that one.

Personally if I liked the shot but hated the flare I'd use something like Lightroom to remove it or change the hue.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I now know the problem with what causes it but except for, don't point your camera at the light source, I have not seen any plausible solution.

Important part of photography is composition. Framing the object and surroundings to avoid lens flare.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010

It's a type of lens flair.

hthakkar8

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Guys I have an iphone 5 out of warranty
And in have these purplish lines\dots in the rear camera what should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 250
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.