Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I'm thinking of jumping to Windows 8 but there are a few things my Mac does that I would be very reluctant to lose and can't work out if Windows 8 has something like them.

1 - Spotlight. I CMD+Space bar for almost everything
2 - CMD+Tab. I use this constantly for switching between apps
3 - Time machine or a similar back-up tool
4 - Website builder. I use iWeb - is there something similar on Windows?
5 - Gestures. 2 finger scrolling - is this really Apple only?

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I'm thinking of jumping to Windows 8 but there are a few things my Mac does that I would be very reluctant to lose and can't work out if Windows 8 has something like them.

I don't know about native support like OSX has but windows tab will switch apps, there plenty of back and web development tools and as far as I know you can use plenty of gestures on windows. Maybe not quite as many as mac but scrolling is definitely available. I don't think windows has spotlight in the same way as mac though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Window's search facility is very fast and accurate. You can access it from the file explorer window or the start button. Additionally windows key + F is the shortcut to access the search feature

Alt-Tab cycles through your active windows

Many apps available including a built in back up tool. I'm not sure of how good they are as compared to windows however.

I'm unsure of the other two points so I'll stop there

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files

start - type into the search box just above. also windows key + F for a search window.

as above, Alt + Tab. my favorite is windows key + Tab for the 'ferris wheel of death' :eek: same thing, just more fun... in a windows sort of way.

nothing close. windows backup, cloud backup, image software and hope for the best.

front page of course... yay 90's web flashback!

lots of 1 finger gestures and screaming involved with using windows. :mad: just sayin'...

better answer is HERE which basically comes down to 'it depends' on the manufacturer of the trackpad in your windows thingy. best of luck.

Last edited:

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland
no spotlight search, just the search in the start menu & on some windows

CMD + TAB = ALT + TAB in windows

no time machine for windows, you'll have to look into third party backup tools for that sort of thing

no iweb for windows

Scrolling gestures depends on the hardware

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO

Some of these answers have already been given, but...
1. Windows-F to search/find
2. Alt-Tab.
3. There's something called "File History" in Win8. I haven't used it. I don't know if it can be used to do a system restore. Win8 also has "Windows 7 File Recovery" which I think will do a system level backup to a remote location, and create a system repair disc. Both are accessed through the above Windows-F search interface, under settings.
4. Dunno, sorry.
5. At least under bootcamp, Apple's Magic Trackpad works for Windows similarly to how it works for OSX. I suppose you'd need the proper multi-touch hardware and the proper Windows driver for it.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California

1. No idea what Spotlight is.
2. Alt Tab is your new button. There also is an alternative I don't remember.
3. Windows Restore will be your new friend as well as windows back up
4. No built in website builder sorry
5. One finger scrolling or typically button scrolling.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Coming from Windows to OS X I can tell you that switching between open programs is a lot easier (in addition to the ALT-Tab).

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
If you're serious about web design, it will be a good upgrade for you to go from iWeb to Front Page. iWeb uses templates, and Front Page is a much more sophisticated webpage design software, not to mention easy to use. You can use Design view, HTML view and Preview the page all within a click of the mouse!

If you need any help with Front Page you can find it on the web, but by all means shoot me a message as well! I'd be happy to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.