Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1
ipedro
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
iOS7: Apple is working on something big. iOS6 was the tick before the tock.

I feel that the tentpole features for iOS6 both bombed. iOS Maps is no longer referred to (by Apple) as “the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever” and Passbook's real world use hasn't really become the kind of industry changing application that Apple was promoting.

The rest of iOS6 is a series of adjustments that don't really amount to a major OS update.

This whole OS seems to lack the focus and attention to detail that Apple has been known for in previous iterations. It's as if they were too busy working on something else.

I think Scott Forstall has pulled the bulk of his team into working on the next big OS and left a smaller team to address this maintenance update that is iOS6. It no doubt takes more than the single year cycle for the iOS team to re-write the OS from the bottom up to look and feel brand new and to adjust to the new realities of what consumers want in a smartphone.

iOS7 will probably bring into coherence the changes that Apple has been making since iPhone OS 1.0. Right now the home screen, Siri, Notifications Centre, and Passbook all feel separate, as if they were added in (they were). But one thing is clear: the original idea of a bunch of icons on a home screen is no longer the only way or even the main way that people are interacting with their iPhones.

- Siri has the potential to become the main user interface with the assistance of the touch UI. For the silent types, Siri could become integrated into the Search screen. Just start typing your instructions and SilentSiri™ will respond. When in the search screen, Siri would listen for her name should you decide to speak. This would be a great driving mode where calling up Siri would mean you just have to ask for something by calling her name.

- App Store with Apps, Services and Widgets. Some apps are single purpose or would work better if integrated into iOS rather than as their own app. Some of them could become services, or plug-ins if you will. Do we really need a Yelp app if it can be built into Siri and Maps? Do we really need stocks and weather apps if they already exist as widgets in Notification Centre? Isn't Fandango (or other movie theatre apps) not less intrusive and works better as a service in Siri? Why look for and open an app if you can just ask Siri to perform the task that that app is good at?

- Passbook as a collection of single purpose apps. Following up on the idea from the previous point, Passbook has the potential to completely replace several apps. A Starbucks pass now displays your QR code for payment but what if you could do more? What if a ZipCar pass served as your car key but also allowed you to book a car near you? Passbook has the potential to become a holder for every day use apps that are simple enough that they can run in Passbook instead of as their own app. Heck, if you look at it that way, Passbook could in another universe be the way to launch apps, instead of icons.
If Passbook takes on a leadership role in iOS, then perhaps it could be brought up by swiping from below.

You'd have the main UI elements within a swipe:

- Swipe to the left Search screen screen, you'd have a universal search and Siri.
- Swipe from the top, you'd get the Notification Centre with widgets
- Swipe from below you'd have Passbook with it's collection of daily use mini apps.

Despite my best intentions as a fan of iOS, I can't help but admit that UI with the icons on a home screen are becoming a bit stale. Apple has never been know as a company that sits still and rests on their laurels. Look at the iPod Nano. Look at the entire iPod line. Apple killed both by moving to the next generation before its competitors could catch up to the current one.

I believe something big is coming, and I think we'll see it in iOS7.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Pro 17" 2009 | iPhone5 | iPad Air | tv | Time Capsule
ipedro is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Ummm...no...you're wrong...
MozMan68 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
As much as I want to believe, I can't. Here's why:

Leopard: A great OS.
Snow Leopard: A greater OS.
Lion: A bomb.
Mountain Lion: A terrible OS that's arguably worse than Leopard.

iOS 4: A great OS.
iOS 5: A greater OS.
iOS 6: A bomb.
iOS 7: .............?

I don't know how this happens because seriously Apple is hardly releasing anything anymore (compared to years ago, when they updated almost everything yearly with major updates), but it happened.

I'd love it if Apple moved away from the icons, but I don't have hope that iOS 7 will be any better than iOS 6.
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
ipedro
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
Ummm...no...you're wrong...
How insightful of you. /s

Care to elaborate?
__________________
iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Pro 17" 2009 | iPhone5 | iPad Air | tv | Time Capsule
ipedro is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:47 PM   #5
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Or people just got overhyped about iOS 6 and were disappointed.

After iOS 6, I dont think we'll see something big.
irDigital0l is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:49 PM   #6
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Aslong millions buy it they wont do ****, get it in your head.

Im planning on moving to the lumia 920 before year ends and if i dont like it and return to ios by the time ver.7 is out im pretty sure il find it the same way i left it.
roxxette is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
As much as I want to believe, I can't. Here's why:

Leopard: A great OS.
Snow Leopard: A greater OS.
Lion: A bomb.
Mountain Lion: A terrible OS that's arguably worse than Leopard.
'I feel ML is on par with or greater than SL......
dukebound85 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:53 PM   #8
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Btw you need to remember "siri" is a mule without internet/data connection

iOS really doesnt need much changes, problem is atleast for me that i got tired of it simple; it works good.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I don't think iOS 6 turned out the way it did becuase Apple is so busy working on iOS 7. Far more likely is that they put almost all of their resources into iOS 6, despite there being criticisms about it.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 280X 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2xUAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:59 PM   #10
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a
 
KeepCalmPeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
I think you're likely to be wrong, because I don't have the optimism that iOS 6 is/was an aberration. I think it is entirely possible that Apple is out of groundbreaking ideas. I think that Android has been the software innovator for the past year, and will continue to innovate ahead of Apple.
Apple used to have the high ground of better implementation, but Siri and Apple Maps have lost them a lot of good will.
People are beginning to see the cracks in Apple's magical marketing.

I hope I'm wrong though.
KeepCalmPeople is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:03 PM   #11
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
I think you're likely to be wrong, because I don't have the optimism that iOS 6 is/was an aberration. I think it is entirely possible that Apple is out of groundbreaking ideas. I think that Android has been the software innovator for the past year, and will continue to innovate ahead of Apple.
Apple used to have the high ground of better implementation, but Siri and Apple Maps have lost them a lot of good will.
People are beginning to see the cracks in Apple's magical marketing.

I hope I'm wrong though.
I agree.

Although its always been Apple's philosophy to do it better than first, I think Android is proving that it can do both. Android is not only applying new innovations but also making them quite good.

Apple needs to go out and try something new.
irDigital0l is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:11 PM   #12
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
The same logic could be applied to the iPhone 4S.

Apple had a yearly release cycle every year in June until the iPhone 4S, and when they delayed that release until October, everyone expected a major redesign was coming - the reality was far different and the market was disappointed.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:33 PM   #13
H. Flower
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Pure conjecture.
H. Flower is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:48 PM   #14
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
How insightful of you. /s

Care to elaborate?
The very fact that are insinuating Apple released an operating system less than what they could have simply so they could release something bigger later is absurd.m to what end?

The fact that they may have released it too early is another thing...
MozMan68 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:01 PM   #15
ipedro
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
The very fact that are insinuating Apple released an operating system less than what they could have simply so they could release something bigger later is absurd.m to what end?

The fact that they may have released it too early is another thing...
It's not absurd at all. In fact it has already happened. There is a precedent for Apple pulling resources from a project to work on something bigger.

OSX's team was pulled from working on Leopard so that they could work on the very first iPhone OS.

Apple Press Release April 12, 2007:
Quote:
However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Pro 17" 2009 | iPhone5 | iPad Air | tv | Time Capsule
ipedro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:08 PM   #16
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
It's not absurd at all. In fact it has already happened. There is a precedent for Apple pulling resources from a project to work on something bigger.

OSX's team was pulled from working on Leopard so that they could work on the very first iPhone OS.

Apple Press Release April 12, 2007:
Yea because they didn't exact'y have an iOS team like they do now...

Now they can both release iOS and OS X yearly without comprises.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:10 PM   #17
Giuly
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Remember that iOS is based on OS X.
Lion -> iOS 5
Mountain Lion -> iOS 6

From that point of view, iOS 7 will be a tock - either that or be prepared for 10.8 Inner City Lion or whatever.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:14 PM   #18
Shorties
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Remember that iOS is based on OS X.
Lion -> iOS 5
Mountain Lion -> iOS 6

From that point of view, iOS 7 will be a tock - either that or be prepared for 10.8 Inner City Lion or whatever.
How about OSX 10.9 Sea Lion
__________________
17 inch Macbook Pro 2007 Black iPhone 5 32GB Sandy Bridge i7 Hackintosh
Shorties is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:18 PM   #19
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
It's not absurd at all. In fact it has already happened. There is a precedent for Apple pulling resources from a project to work on something bigger.

OSX's team was pulled from working on Leopard so that they could work on the very first iPhone OS.

Apple Press Release April 12, 2007:
Right...they borrowed resources and DIDN'T release the software they were working on.
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:22 PM   #20
rorschach
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
#1. "Passbook" isn't an app. It's an API for developers.

#2. What "Search screen"? The Spotlight screen? That requires you to navigate away from your current app, navigate to the search screen, then start talking. That makes even less sense than simply holding a button for a second (and never having to leave the current app). It would be a real PITA and would make using Siri totally inefficient.

#3. Siri shouldn't replace apps. It should have an API that lets apps hook into it. Apple shouldn't try to do everything because they simply can't.

#4. You are making things way too complicated with Passbook. Passbook is an API, not a Swiss Army Knife and certainly not an app launcher (how does that make sense?). Passbook is like the Push Notification service. Developers had to actually implement push notifications in their apps before the service became useful. Similarly, developers need to implement Passbook before it becomes useful. The purpose of Passbook is to have one place for all your various "passes" that are now (or were previously) stored separately in different apps.
__________________
MacBook Air 13-inch (Mid 2012), iPhone 6
rorschach is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:30 PM   #21
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
This seems a little too ambitious for one software release.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:15 PM   #22
ipedro
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Yea because they didn't exact'y have an iOS team like they do now...

Now they can both release iOS and OS X yearly without comprises.
You missed the point. This isn't pulling resources from iOS to work on OSX, both of which have teams now. This would be pulling resources from their annual release cycle to a second iOS team designing something that takes more than 1 year.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 | MacBook Pro 17" 2009 | iPhone5 | iPad Air | tv | Time Capsule
ipedro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:25 PM   #23
Vetvito
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Nothing big, Apple likes to keep stuff simple.
Vetvito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 PM   #24
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a
 
Ice-Cube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Based on the logic that there's always someone better out there, Apple can't remain on top forever.
__________________
sent from my iPhone.
Ice-Cube is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:44 PM   #25
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
You missed the point. This isn't pulling resources from iOS to work on OSX, both of which have teams now. This would be pulling resources from their annual release cycle to a second iOS team designing something that takes more than 1 year.
So your saying that Apple gave us a ****** product so they could work on a better one?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiFi Sync Not Working iOS7, Working iOS6 kramden88 iOS 7 0 Jan 2, 2014 03:45 PM
Tock-Tick: Haswell-Broadwell fac183 MacBook Pro 1 Oct 29, 2013 06:25 PM
All iPads: Apple forcing ios6 holdouts to update to ios7 smileyface iPad 26 Oct 9, 2013 03:40 PM
5C Tick Tock roxics iPhone 3 Sep 24, 2013 12:59 PM
Tick Tock Cycle roxics iPhone 8 Sep 7, 2013 03:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC