Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
iOS can only get better if they opened up the communication between 3rd party apps.

plus small little touches here and there that would improve a users experience but they fail to even see.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
iPhones will go the way of the macbooks....small updates every year and buying the new one every single year will NOT be worth it. Innovation has slowed, and the changes get smaller every year. Probably not what you want to hear but I can't imagine how else you would expect this cycle to go...

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Gee the 400th thread about how disappointed people are with IOS 6 which has been out - what maybe a month. There are releases that provide a basis for future application development and I think a lot of this happened in IOS 6. As much as we'd like to development work doesn't happen instantaneously and a lot of IOS developers are really small.

There are a ton of improvements and updates in IOS 6 and I think, like Passbook we are only seeing a bare beginning of apps that take advantage.
You may not care (like I don't) but for many Facebook integration was a huge effort and very important.
IOS 6 supports more bluetooth protocols and already I can now get and read text messages via bluetooth on my car's screen.

IOS 6 also had to support new hardware such as the iPhone 5 and whatever Apple is announcing next week.

Fixing the supports of a bridge that you travel on every day may not excite you but it is a big and important upgrade.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
When I think of an update, I think of added features. With that being said, what happened to Rosetta? Was an alternative added??? Oh no, it was simply deleted for no reason... I would now have to pay several hundred dollars for new Intel software to replace my perfectly functioning PPC only stuff, and, another several hundred for a new flatbed scanner, as my current machine has PPC only scanning software. When I have to pay over $400 for just for an OS (Lion), that simply removes features from SL, I am mad. Then on top of that, ML also drops support for my ancient C2D mac Mini from 2008, so I would need to purchase a whole new computer, in addition to the new software, and computer accessories. If I need to replace my whole setup every four years, that is a major problem, and thus why Lion and ML are simply awful... Apple screwed me once, but never ever again...
I'm very sorry that your old stuff doesn't work anymore. Eventually legacy products cease getting support. I don't see this as a flaw. Do you expect TVs to carry an S-video port forever?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I'm very sorry that your old stuff doesn't work anymore. Eventually legacy products cease getting support. I don't see this as a flaw. Do you expect TVs to carry an S-video port forever?

I realize old tech gets replaced, but in this case, my stuff simply didn't last long enough. Rosetta was an optional download in SL, so it could have continued to be in 10.7. On the computer side, today's Apple is not the company I previously knew. I also have a Power Mac G4, which was loaded with 8.6 initially. It was then updated from 8.6 > 9.0 > 10.0 > 10.1 > 10.2 > 10.3 > 10.4. I was current for many many years. In 2008, I paid over $600 for my Mini, which went from 10.5 > 10.6 > 10.7 > EOL. Really!?! WTF??? I cant even go to 10.7, so I really got a single OS update from it... Apple is screwing their customers right and left lately, and when people start realizing it, the company is going to have a major problem...

There are releases that provide a basis for future application development and I think a lot of this happened in IOS 6.

There are a ton of improvements and updates in IOS 6 and I think, like Passbook we are only seeing a bare beginning of apps that take advantage.

You may not care (like I don't) but for many Facebook integration was a huge effort and very important.
IOS 6 supports more bluetooth protocols and already I can now get and read text messages via bluetooth on my car's screen.

1&2, You are failing to understand we the consumers want our products NOW, not later. I don't care what Apple is planning down the road... I want my product to work now, today! I don't want to hear Apple stating how they plan to fix maps soon. I need to navigate today. I don't care about what passbook will do later, I want to get on my airline flights today! Laying the groundwork is for beta releases, not final builds. All Apple has manged to do is make themselves look stupid. They tout all these new features, but have nothing to back it up..

3, Would you purchase a new copy of a desktop OS if its main features included Facebook integration and Bluetooth updates? No... At best, iOS 6 should have been 5.2... Apple should not have built all this hype for nothing. All it lead too was disappointment, when people really saw for themselves that the whole new OS with 200 updates amounted to 195 tech updates, and 5 relatively useless new Apps.

Last edited:

Scale70

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Oxfordshire
I think iOS6 is the best version of an excellent smartphone OS. I think the problem is that it's been around for so long now that we're a bit bored of it. I'd put myself into this class but I still think its a great OS and if I'm objective it really doesn't need an overhaul. It's so good, it's boring. Funny.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
The whole idea of getting bored is a completely ignorant attitude. If it was awesome in the past, why is it not awesome now? It's human nature to become accustomed to greatness and familiarity breeding contempt. (This also supposes nobody else has done anything better, which they haven't.)

The iphone platform is amazing. It's pretty much been perfected in the 4. 4S is a revision. 5 is a revision. They've mucked some stuff up with the software updates.

I'm happy with maintaining excellence. I'm happy with not bringing out a new idea until it's worth crowing about. I'm fine with them keeping the phone static for four years if that means the next numbered version is going to have some pop.

I think too many people are addicted to fashion, changing things out every season, and wanting to be seen being seen. That's why people were complaining about the 4S not looking any different from the 4.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I think iOS6 is the best version of an excellent smartphone OS. I think the problem is that it's been around for so long now that we're a bit bored of it. I'd put myself into this class but I still think its a great OS and if I'm objective it really doesn't need an overhaul. It's so good, it's boring. Funny.
Agreed. Heck, some of the people complaining here even want themes. Apple has NEVER gone that route and I doubt they'll start now. Android is the mobile OS you guys want.

iOS fixed a lot of things wrong or missing with iOS (share sheets - freaking finally, Facebook integration - a LOT of people use it, Siri can finally email, Maps finally has navigation).

Passbook isn't a failure. There are already reports of major companies that have a large percentage of people using it (12% of MLB online tickets). It's just getting started.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
They're breaking stuff with their reforms. Crappier battery life, breaking functionality, bad ideas.

The only thing the iphone 5 needed was double battery life and a more durable case.

And I agree, Apple should use the jailbreak stuff as a public beta and happily buy and incorporate those great ideas. Avoid ignorant screwups like the map situation.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I realize old tech gets replaced, but in this case, my stuff simply didn't last long enough. Rosetta was an optional download in SL, so it could have continued to be in 10.7. On the computer side, today's Apple is not the company I previously knew. I also have a Power Mac G4, which was loaded with 8.6 initially. It was then updated from 8.6 > 9.0 > 10.0 > 10.1 > 10.2 > 10.3 > 10.4. I was current for many many years. In 2008, I paid over $600 for my Mini, which went from 10.5 > 10.6 > 10.7 > EOL. Really!?! WTF??? I cant even go to 10.7, so I really got a single OS update from it... Apple is screwing their customers right and left lately, and when people start realizing it, the company is going to have a major problem...
So on one hand you want a plethora of new features and enhancements, yet you want all the older hardware that wasn't designed with these features in mind to work as well? I understand that you don't want to have to buy a new computer often, but you have to consider the reality that it may not always be possible to achieve both. That's not screwing customers, that's just life.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
There's two kinds of features, the stuff that's hardware agnostic and the stuff that requires new hardware. The original iphones did not support shooting movies even though they could be hacked to. Apple later supported that natively. If the older phones lacked gps, obviously they could not be updated to work with gps-enabled maps.

The iphone 4's worked with the old siri app before it was pulled from the market and probably could have worked with the native siri. There might have been an argument from apple along the lines of "siri was not as good on 4 because we needed better microphones, better signal-processing chips, even if the regular processor and everything else was fine. Siri would have sucked on the 4 and we don't make suck." That could have been true. But Siri sucks on 4S anyway so who knows?

This goes for PC as well as Mac, all software bloats. It keeps taking more and more horsepower to do the same things we used to do. Web browser, word processor, music playing? We get more horsepower, more RAM, but I'm not doing much more with the same hardware. It's all perfectly fine.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012

1&2, You are failing to understand we the consumers want our products NOW, not later. I don't care what Apple is planning down the road... I want my product to work now, today! I don't want to hear Apple stating how they plan to fix maps soon. I need to navigate today. I don't care about what passbook will do later, I want to get on my airline flights today! Laying the groundwork is for beta releases, not final builds. All Apple has manged to do is make themselves look stupid. They tout all these new features, but have nothing to back it up..

3, Would you purchase a new copy of a desktop OS if its main features included Facebook integration and Bluetooth updates? No... At best, iOS 6 should have been 5.2... Apple should not have built all this hype for nothing. All it lead too was disappointment, when people really saw for themselves that the whole new OS with 200 updates amounted to 195 tech updates, and 5 relatively useless new Apps.

I'd actually pay for a IOS that didn't have facebook or twitter integration or game center. There are probably a huge number of people that wouldn't buy a device that didn't have those three.

The naming or numbering of a release is a marketing decision and has nothing to do with functionality. I bet if you look at your IOS device most of the apps that you USE aren't Apple apps and Apple can't force schedules of when they use or take advantage of any system. When IOS 3(I think) came out which allowed non-Apple apps did you complain that there weren't 250,000 apps available day 1 or month 1?
Does IOS 6 seem to me as a who cares release - yes but I'm also willing to give time for actually see what will come from it.
The other function of an IOS upgrade is to support new hardware which includes iPhone 5 and whatever Apple releases soon (although I'm sure we will see 6.01 to support next week's announcements ).

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
As much as I want to believe, I can't. Here's why:

Leopard: A great OS.
Snow Leopard: A greater OS.
Lion: A bomb.
Mountain Lion: A terrible OS that's arguably worse than Leopard.

Totally subjective.

I've used all of those and I rate them as

1. Mountain Lion
2. Snow Leopard
3. Lion
4. Leopard

Mountain Lion and Lion are like the Windows 7 and Vista of Mac OS X. They brought much needed changes to the internal architecture to move things forward. Yes Lion had performance issues initially.

Yes, they are different to Snow Leopard. Different does not automatically mean "worse".

They'e an effort to reduce my need to care about things like saving files, making backup copies of them, going back to my backup drive, etc.

That stuff is boring. Computers excel at taking care of boring stuff.

So, that's versions out of the way.... if you don't like full screen..... uh... don't click on it, and the UI is the same as Leopard, other than Expose` (I personally prefer the ML way anyway), which is hardly worth calling an entire OS garbage over even if you disagree... ctrl+number key still switches desktops like it always has...

----------

I'd actually pay for a IOS that didn't have facebook or twitter integration or game center. There are probably a huge number of people that wouldn't buy a device that didn't have those three.

Don't sign into those services?

I use the facebook integration, don't use game centre. didn't sign into it and i don't even know its there.

And yes, as per above - both iOS6 and ML are just as much, if not more about API changes and additions for developers as they are about UI differences. Give it time for the apps to catch up.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
I think passbook needs to be given time, very much a front-end app that needs an infrastructure to support it.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
while reading the first page of this thread, i realised something, a vicious cycle. in fact, it could even be the proof and signs that this cycle is going to bring apple only surely but slowly, into the ground as the underdog company again.

when Apple were on the back end of the success of microsofts windows and their rise to empire, Apple were pushed, challenged and don't you think this was alot of the fuel for them to 'innovate' and become what made apple so great? not just innovation, but doing it BEST. focusing. these was steve jobs doing.

now it almost seems, that apple has just passed its peak (2010/11 i'd say) and is now on the begining of its new cycle to going under. now apple is the big empire. but with a big empire seems to be a different culture. now apple is like the new microsoft. now steve jobs is gone, the leadership based on creativity and faith in his leadership is diminished. instead apple has to trust someone regardless if it is tim or someone else in future, to be the leader. someone that isn't a steve jobs, i don't mean the charisma, but the judgement and creativity ability. there is also a natural burden to carry success on at the level jobs left as a standard, of course anyone human, like tim, would feel the burden and pressure to keep this companies vitality and prosperity, otherwise the board of directors etc are going to look into replacing them. its not the same anymore. what am i saying? its more about maintaining money and success. apple are now at a point where they are a prisoner, burdened by their own merit, achievement and status, like any artists, to keep producing instead of trying to impress, they are burdened to meet expectations more and more.

the last thing is, apple have begun a patent culture war, which is their right, but it leaves me wondering - the more apple restrict their opponents from challenging them, the more apple is prone to get lazy and unmotivated or challenged. their wont be that push to compete like they did when they was Under, during Microsoft's reign of success. i see them becoming lazy frankly. sure im not ruling out further hits or them going bankrupt ever, but they won't be at the top. i see samsung, and the android movement, being a potential dark horse because they are going to innovate, they are motivated.

we'll see.

as for iOS7, i agree with others, i dont think iOS7 will b something special. i think Mac OS and iOS are going through a phase at the moment during apples time figuring out how its going to merge these OS's into a very unified ecosystem. others will argue thats already been, and it has, i am however talking about something new taht is going to last and be in harmony for a long time ahead. like jobs said: picking the right horses at the right time.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
iOS7, to the naked eye, will look exactly the same as every iOS before it.

I love my iPhone 5, and I love how everything is synced between it and the iPad. However a year from now I'm not so sure my next phone will be an iPhone. Things have started to move a little too slowly, and while I LOVE iOS, it may be time for something new. I'm Thinking a WP8 or maybe the SGS4 (the SGS3 nearly got me were it not for te fact that I can't get over the fact that android is a bit w@nk).

As an example, for the first time ever, I'm looking forward to an untethered jailbreak. There are so many GREAT tweaks out there that I'd like to use.

Maybe Apple will once again shake things up. I hope so because I'd rather stay with Apple, unfortunately I get the feeling that very little will change until the profits take a hit. Something that shows no sign of happening any time soon.

himanshupant

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
India
iOS7, to the naked eye, will look exactly the same as every iOS before it.

I love my iPhone 5, and I love how everything is synced between it and the iPad. However a year from now I'm not so sure my next phone will be an iPhone. Things have started to move a little too slowly, and while I LOVE iOS, it may be time for something new. I'm Thinking a WP8 or maybe the SGS4 (the SGS3 nearly got me were it not for te fact that I can't get over the fact that android is a bit w@nk).

As an example, for the first time ever, I'm looking forward to an untethered jailbreak. There are so many GREAT tweaks out there that I'd like to use.

Maybe Apple will once again shake things up. I hope so because I'd rather stay with Apple, unfortunately I get the feeling that very little will change until the profits take a hit. Something that shows no sign of happening any time soon.

As for wireless tethering , it would Apple a hell lot of good if for once it stopped putting the well being of its partners like AT&T , Sprint etc before its main stakeholders i.e. the customers. Android gives this freedom though with few costs.. Reminds me of the famous "1984" commercial of Apple.. The shoe is clearly on the other foot now.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
As much as I want to believe, I can't. Here's why:

Leopard: A great OS.
Snow Leopard: A greater OS.
Lion: A bomb.
Mountain Lion: A terrible OS that's arguably worse than Leopard.

iOS 4: A great OS.
iOS 5: A greater OS.
iOS 6: A bomb.
iOS 7: .............?

I don't know how this happens because seriously Apple is hardly releasing anything anymore (compared to years ago, when they updated almost everything yearly with major updates), but it happened.

I'd love it if Apple moved away from the icons, but I don't have hope that iOS 7 will be any better than iOS 6.

iOS 6 was alright, and ML is my favorite OS X.

LearnIIBurn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
In terminal, I can no longer keep a ssh connection open and let a script run b/c wifi shuts down every time the screen goes to sleep.

If you are running ssh and running a script on a remote machine can't you just background it (&)? Or run screen? I don't touch remote machines without screen installed.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple used to have the best OS and hardware, but not anymore. Apple had better come up with something quick, or their reign of the mobile market will come crashing down faster than you can read this sentence. I have talked to a lot of Apple users, and few have been even slightly impressed where Apple is headed. In the last week, I had a chat with around 10 pretty die hard iPhone users, and five already decided to jump ship at the end of their contracts. That's pretty bad.... If iOS7 is a bomb, people will start leaving Apple in droves, as consumers are finally realizing there are better alternatives available.

I've seen people move off the iPhone and frankly its more about a larger screen than it is about software. I don't know any Android users that actually are in to software. Most just want to show their photos off on a larger device. I find that to be a vary valid desire. I've changed my thinking on this. I don't think it's feasible for Apple to prosper with a single form factor for their smartphone.

It's not really that Anroid's caught up but rather they have tapped into a certain vein of users that want a larger screen and are no longer dissatisfied with the Android OS.

If apple took the best jailbreak apps ie lockinfo, sbsettings and implemented them into ios it would make it heaps better.

For the more tweaky people. For the average consumer turning things off/on and seeing a bunch of stuff on their lock screen isn't important.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
My iOS 7 Wishlist:

1. File directory system. As the iPad becomes more and more into a content creation device, as opposed to a content consumption, there should be a common storage system which can be accessed across all apps! This seems like a no brainer to me, why limit it to photos and videos, why not every iOS supported file type?? If I wanted to take my iPad away for work, I couldnt, cause I cant upload my files to my company portal

2. Even better Siri: make it have access to Wikipedia, use its natural language capabilities to pull info from articles. If not, just make it faster and have access to more information

3. Group Facetime Chat

4. Improved notifications bar. Settings shortcut?

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
My iOS 7 Wishlist:

1. File directory system. As the iPad becomes more and more into a content creation device, as opposed to a content consumption, there should be a common storage system which can be accessed across all apps! This seems like a no brainer to me, why limit it to photos and videos, why not every iOS supported file type?? If I wanted to take my iPad away for work, I couldnt, cause I cant upload my files to my company portal

2. Even better Siri: make it have access to Wikipedia, use its natural language capabilities to pull info from articles. If not, just make it faster and have access to more information

3. Group Facetime Chat

4. Improved notifications bar. Settings shortcut?
Siri integration with wiki would be brilliant
As for group FaceTime chat....I'd like to see how you fit 5 people's face in your tiny iPhone screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.