Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
hi all,

My unlocked (fusionunlocked) i5 using with straighttalk can't be used with hotspot. going to general-cellular-set up hotspot would just ask for att permission.

anyone has any issue like this and/or any way to circumvent this problem. I would assume that unlocking the i5 would release the hotspot restriction by att..

thanks..

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No.
The restriction is put there by your carrier.
You dont get unlimited hotspot with them.
Only way around it would be when there is a JB available.
Nothing you can do now. An unlocked iphone still uses the specific carrier config files and restrictions put in place by them.
It doesnt bypass the carriers rules.
Try to do facetime over 3G too and see how far you get with that:)

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the info!

This sounds like a restricted unlock to me since the hotspot capability of the phone is still locked to the carrier. I am assuming this is true for Verizon as well as Sprint with their respective unlocked iphone 5? (mine is ATT).

sounds kind of wrong to me. Maybe I will talk to the ATT rep when I go in to cancel the contract with them and update this thread of any new info...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I think that what you're experiencing can be explained by looking at this post of mine:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15914091/

In this case, the ability to use the Personal Hotspot feature is being prevented, because the phone thinks you're using it on AT&T and that they haven't allowed it on your account.

This is unfortunately how the iPhone is designed to work.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
ahhhh...okay this makes some sense and is very unfortunate.

Then the question is, would the use of any other unlocked iphone 5, including verizon and other international model, on straight talk NOT be hotspot restricted assuming they do not have the AT&T config files installed?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
ahhhh...okay this makes some sense and is very unfortunate.

Then the question is, would the use of any other unlocked iphone 5, including verizon and other international model, on straight talk NOT be hotspot restricted assuming they do not have the AT&T config files installed?

Every iPhone has the same carrier settings files installed - they're part of the firmware.

Each version of iOS contains the settings for every supported carrier at that time. Carriers can also release updates in between iOS releases if they're important enough (like Verizon's to fix issues with their iPhone 5 using Cellular Data instead of Wi-Fi).

Given this, the same restriction will apply no matter which iPhone you put your SIM into.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Nope. It doesn't matter what iPhone you use.
The carrier locks that feature with their config file that's installed the second you put the sim in.
It doesn't matter if you use an unlocked iPhone from Australia. Same results.
Only way around it is to pay for the feature or jb it and use a tethering hack.
Talking to an AT&T rep won't make any difference.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Im talking about the 1st post and the thread title though.
He didn't ask if any cellphone can get tethering on ST.
He's asking about an unlocked iphone 5 that he has.
Not sure if he's interested in purchasing a Lumia to do that.

If you read the entire thread you would have seen Seacoast post a question asking if any phone worked with ST hotspots. Mumzy was answering his question. So again your post was not needed.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Seacost posted that over 3 months ago. A little late to reply to that don't ya think?
I can and will post whatever I want weather you think its needed or not.
Got it homie?
Put me on your ignore list, I will go ahead and do the same;)

I never said you could not post. I said it was not needed. You were being rude, and there was no need to post a smartbutt comment. Maybe Memzy did not notice that is was 3 months ago. Or for that matter who cares?

Oh and I am not your homie. I do not want to be associated with you in any way.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I never said you could not post. I said it was not needed. You were being rude, and there was no need to post a smartbutt comment. Maybe Memzy did not notice that is was 3 months ago. Or for that matter who cares?

Oh and I am not your homie. I do not want to be associated with you in any way.

If you want to continue your childish whining and bullying towards me then PM me instead. I'm going to remove the off topic posts. If you want to continue get a violin...

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
What an awful thread... you two should settle this out in the parking lot

I am good. I just get tired of people being rude to posters for putting up questions they have. It seems like every time someone post anything about replacement iPhones or warranty repair people start to become rude, and some how Apple is always right.

mountinbeaver

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2019
All you have to do is take straight talk sim out of iPhone and put it in a Verizon Android device hit *22898 then go to apn settings and change them to tracfone.vzwentp and save. Then turn on hotspot and enjoy.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
If you want a carrier feature (e.g. hotspots) then pay for it. Better yet, get a non-**** tier MVNO that doesn’t steal from the American taxpayer while making their phones the hardest in the industry to unlock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.