Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Nokia Lumia sales fall 28 percent in Q3

Nokia Lumia sales fall 28 percent in Q3 to 2.9 million, North American sales cut in half

Disappointing. Wonder how long Elop will stay on. Would be nice to see them start doing well. Samsung needs some competition in the not-Apple space.

Last edited by maflynn; Oct 18, 2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: fixed link
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:45 AM   #2
maflynn

Not really surprising, why would anyone buy a Lumina now when there's no possibility of upgrading that phone to win8.

I wouldn't count Nokia and MS out quite yet, I do think they have a winner on their hands with win8.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:47 AM   #3
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Yeah they killed sales announcing new handsets months before they are going on sale. Big mistake. Why would anyone sign up for a 24 month contract to avail of a phone that is going to be replaced by another only 12 weeks later ?

It's a shame that Nokia came late to the Windows phone 7 party, meaning customers dont get long with teh device before its replacement.

At least normally Windows mobile devices have the longest run of being 'flagship' in their own category getting 18-24 months before hardware and software is usurped.

As long as Nokia & Microsoft can take that loss on the chin, then Windows mobile 8 and new lumia range may see the tide change... Though it proves how hard it is to make feet in a market saturated by Android & iOS even when you have to massive names behind it....

Those still holding onto the dream that Meego & WebOS may resurface.. keep dreaming....
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Yeah what is it with companies announcing products months before they're available for sale. You just kill off sales of your current product.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:02 AM   #5
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Yeah what is it with companies announcing products months before they're available for sale. You just kill off sales of your current product.
That's known as the Osborne affect when Adam Osborne back in the early days of the computer industry pre-announced the successor to the hugely popular Osborne 1. The problem was that people either cancelled their orders and/or stopped buying the Osborne 1 - in effect his company ran out of money before being able to bring to market the new computer.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
It's not all doom and gloom, while their sales fell, their losses also fell.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:08 AM   #7
maflynn

Here's the engadget article which offers some more details.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices