Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwGary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
I have an early 2009 17 in MBP and recently, I wanted to connect my MBP to my TV so i can watch some HD MKV videos i have. I purchased a Moshi Mini DP to HDMI adapter and I realize that audio isn't supported by my MBP, so I tried to use a set of audio cables I had from my desk stereo speakers (yellow and white audio cables). I have video, but the audio just isn't going through and I tried most of what was suggested online. My TV is a new-ish Samsung (from a year or 2 ago), so I don't see why the audio is not working. I tried to change the settings on both the TV and my MBP, and it says the audio is going through the headphone jack, but the TV isn't doing anything. Any help?

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm guessing it's with your TV. Most TV's don't accept audio through a source other than what's being displayed - audio is probably linked to some sort of analog input, whereas it's expecting digital input from HDMI.

jwGary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Since I have the Moshi mini DP adapter, shouldn't I just have to use audio cables? That's what it says in the little booklet that came with the adapter. Also, I have the HDMI cable in the HDMI/DVI slot where I can put in audio cables to send the sound, so I thought it would work..

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Since I have the Moshi mini DP adapter, shouldn't I just have to use audio cables? That's what it says in the little booklet that came with the adapter. Also, I have the HDMI cable in the HDMI/DVI slot where I can put in audio cables to send the sound, so I thought it would work..

No, I think he's right about not sending audio out on that port on your model. Just in case, the other issue when this happens is usually going into Sound settings in System Preferences, then selecting the display connected by HDMI rather than the inbuilt speakers.

jwGary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
No, I think he's right about not sending audio out on that port on your model. Just in case, the other issue when this happens is usually going into Sound settings in System Preferences, then selecting the display connected by HDMI rather than the inbuilt speakers.

In the sound settings, there is no HDMI option, only the Headphones jack and 2 soundflower options. I know that the sound won't go out through the DP port on my mac, but theoretically, it should work through the speaker/headphone cable i used... but its not

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
but theoretically, it should work through the speaker/headphone cable i used... but its not

The problem you are encountering is likely to be wrong settings on the TV. TVs generally need to be explicitly configured to pull audio from analog input ports rather than pulling audio from the HDMI signal.

The way to test is to plug a set of headphones into the speaker/headphone socket while the Moshi adapter is connected between your Mac and your TV. I suspect that you will find that the sound *is* going out the headphone jack.

joelba

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
Where did you connect the analog cables? Try selecting the video/signal number "x" for that input.

jwGary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Alright, so I tried what was suggested and nothing worked. I plugged in my headphones while the HDMI was plugged in through the Moshi adapter and i heard it through the headphones. I checked my TV's audio settings and couldnt find anything that would let me get the audio from the audio jacks. Could it be that I am using white and yellow cables? I thought that wouldn't matter since they're colored basically just for organization and distinction.

Here are some pictures to show the setup/setting I have in order to help figure out whats wrong:
photo4pw.jpg

photo3uh.jpg

photo2vy.jpg

photo1mn.jpg

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I may've been confusing. To get audio to your tv, get a standard 3.5mm audio cable, like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2
Each end is identical. Plug one end into your headphone port onto the Mac, the other into the black "audio" port into the picture you uploaded. Then, plug an HDMI cable into the tv, and the other into your MiniDP adaptor. The HDMI setting on your tv should then pick up the audio no problem.

EDIT
It's sort of hard to tell from your pictures, but are you using the minidp to hdmi adaptor with an hdmi to dvi cable? If so, you will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable (red and white) and plug them in to DVI AUDIO IN. Your cable will not work.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:

jwGary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
I may've been confusing. To get audio to your tv, get a standard 3.5mm audio cable, like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2
Each end is identical. Plug one end into your headphone port onto the Mac, the other into the black "audio" port into the picture you uploaded. Then, plug an HDMI cable into the tv, and the other into your MiniDP adaptor. The HDMI setting on your tv should then pick up the audio no problem.

EDIT
It's sort of hard to tell from your pictures, but are you using the minidp to hdmi adaptor with an hdmi to dvi cable? If so, you will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable (red and white) and plug them in to DVI AUDIO IN. Your cable will not work.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

My HDMI cable is a normal HDMI to HDMI, not HDMI to AVI. So I am assuming i need that first cable you linked to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.