Apple Releases Major Final Cut Pro X Update with Dual Viewers, Multichannel Audio Tools, RED Camera Support and More - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Releases Major Final Cut Pro X Update with Dual Viewers, Multichannel Audio Tools, RED Camera Support and More




Today, Apple released a major update to Final Cut Pro X that was promised back in April. The initial launch of Final Cut Pro X was met with significant criticism due to a lack of many features found in earlier versions of the software. Apple responded to the concerns with promises of updates.

In April, Apple even revealed many features that could be expected in Final Cut Pro X in 2012. These included Multichannel Audio Editing Tools, Dual Viewers, MXF Plug-in Support and RED camera support.

That version update was released today and includes a number of long awaited features:
Quote:
o Expand multichannel audio files directly in the timeline for precise editing of individual audio channels
o Unified import window for transferring media from both file-based cameras and folders of files
o Redesigned Share interface for exporting projects and range selections to one or more destinations
o RED camera support with native REDCODE RAW editing and optional background transcode to Apple ProRes
o MXF plug-in support that allows you to work natively with MXF files from import through delivery using third-party plug-ins
o Dual viewers, each with a video scope display, let you compare shots to match action and color
o Option to add chapter markers in the timeline for export to video files, DVD, and Blu-ray disc
o Range selection now preserves start and end points in the Event Browser and allows you to create multiple range selections on a single clip
o Paste attributes window lets you choose specific effects to copy between clips
o Flexible Clip Connections allow you to keep Connected Clips in place when slipping, sliding or moving clips in the Primary Storyline
o Add a freeze frame to your timeline with a single keystroke
o Drop shadow effect with intuitive onscreen controls to adjust position, edge falloff, angle, and more
o New controls for combining audio from multiple angles within a Multicam Clip
o Compound Clip creation in the timeline now saves the clip in the Event Browser for re-use in other projects
o XML 1.2 featuring metadata import and export for richer integration with third-party apps
Final Cut Pro X is available in the Mac App Store for $299.99. The 10.0.6 update is free for current customers. [Mac App Store]

Article Link: Apple Releases Major Final Cut Pro X Update with Dual Viewers, Multichannel Audio Tools, RED Camera Support and More
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:20 PM   #2
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
aw now all the FCP haters have to switch back again XD
turtlez is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Bensalama21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Final Cut Pro X from October 2011 is a whole different program from the Final Cut Pro X of today. (In a good way)
__________________
4 iMacs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, 2 iPod Touch 4th gen, 2 iPod touch 2nd gen, 2 2010 macbook pro 8gb ram, 3 iPad 2 (64gb), 64gb ipad (3rd Gen) New Macbook Air 13",
Bensalama21 is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4
KdParker
macrumors 68020
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
This ought to get the mac pro refresh conversation going now....
__________________
16g iPhone5s Space Grey; 16g iPhone5 White;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Xarthan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Nice! Can't wait to try out some of the new features at work tomorrow.

Oh hey why no mac pro news today Apple?
Xarthan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:31 PM   #6
bertman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Laurel, Maryland
Being a traditional still photog who is more and more interested in video, I will be jumping on this!
__________________
- Bert Pasquale
Certified Professional Photographer
http://LifeStoryImages.com
bertman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:31 PM   #7
AnthonyChori
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'm a current Final Cut Pro 7 user right now, can someone tell me if its worth upgrading to Final Cut Pro X yet?
AnthonyChori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #8
Ahheck01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
I'm interested to see the DVD export options. Would love a good replacement of Encore, if they can come up with a great app or extension with equal power. Chapter markers seem to foreshadow that.
__________________
Soon: 2012 27" iMac ; 3.4Ghz i7 ; 32GB ; 1TB Fusion ; 2GB 680mx
2012 rMBP ; 2.3Ghz i7 ; 16GB, 256GB SSD ;
iPad 3 16GB Black with Verizon LTE
iPhone 5 ; 16GB ; White
Ahheck01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:34 PM   #9
tinmancactus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
As much as it is great news that these features have finally been implemented the fact still remains that Apple have practically given away their film editing market to Avid and Adobe.

I always used to use Adobe Premiere, switched to the Avid when I began studying film full time and I tried out Final Cut Pro X for use at home. I figured the reports of it being "iMovie Pro" were exaggerations but they really aren't.

I do hope Apple don't do any more culling of their pro products. I'd hate for future online edits, colour grades, etc. to be done on Windows...
tinmancactus is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Cory Bauer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Send a message via ICQ to Cory Bauer
Is it still completely incapable of opening and saving projects on a network volume, limited to local storage only?
Cory Bauer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:37 PM   #11
pdweller
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: IN
Also Motion update for improved anti-aliasing and the ability to have multiple projects open simultaneously.

Compressor updated to improve cluster setup, ability to re-activate additional clusters without re-authentication, and fixes an issue with third-party QuickTime components.
pdweller is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:38 PM   #12
thedarkhorse
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahheck01 View Post
I'm interested to see the DVD export options. Would love a good replacement of Encore, if they can come up with a great app or extension with equal power. Chapter markers seem to foreshadow that.
I wouldn't hold your breath for apple to make any new DVD authoring software. They abandoned iDVD and I doubt if there is any plans for a DVD Studio Pro replacement. Not to mention they have been omitting optical drives from all their new macs. All signs point to no.
thedarkhorse is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Small White Car
macrumors G3
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyChori View Post
I'm a current Final Cut Pro 7 user right now, can someone tell me if its worth upgrading to Final Cut Pro X yet?
It's a big huge 'depends.'

I'm fortunate enough to have both Final Cut and Premeire so I can pick by project. I prefer Premeire for for projects that will have many layers and effects.

But I really am liking Final Cut X for both music videos and multicam 'live' events that I want to switch in real-time in post. For those particular projects I can really get into what Apple was trying to do here. But if you're doing very meticulous, multi-track videos then Premeire may feel more like home to you.

If you have to pick one to buy I'd kind of say it depends on the types of projects you do. I'm currently enjoying both programs a lot.
Small White Car is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:41 PM   #14
portishead
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
FCPX getting better and better with every release. They've done a lot in the past year, I can't wait to see how it evolves a year from now.
portishead is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:42 PM   #15
coder12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fargo, ND: The greatest city on Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensalama21 View Post
Final Cut Pro X from October 2011 is a whole different program from the Final Cut Pro X of today. (In a good way)
I can't agree more, but somehow, some way, people will still complain
__________________
Just plain nuts!
coder12 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:42 PM   #16
dbit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
The combination of hardware uncertainty and major debacle finally led many studios to bid farewell to apple and fcp. Will they continue to attract individual users? Sure. But they already alienated their core. Too little too late. People will keep some iMacs around to convert legacy files and deal with archives. Unless apple drops an absolute atom bomb on the workstation market I doubt they're going to win many back.
dbit is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
portishead
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmancactus View Post
As much as it is great news that these features have finally been implemented the fact still remains that Apple have practically given away their film editing market to Avid and Adobe.
This just isn't true. There are a lot of places still using v7. I haven't seen any post houses switch because they're not angry fanboys who switch sides. v7 still works for whatever workflow people were using a year ago.

FCPX still has a ways to go before it gets more consideration, but it is getting a lot closer. Perhaps in another year.
portishead is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Small White Car
macrumors G3
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
This just isn't true. There are a lot of places still using v7.
This has been my experience as well. Most everyone has asked me about FCX but mostly as a curiosity. They are perfectly happy with FCP7 for now.

What Apple does with FCX2 is what really matters. That's when all those editors will finally sit down and decide what to do.

Right now it's not looking good for Apple, but few have actually made a decision yet. Apple has about a year to impress them, I think.
Small White Car is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:56 PM   #19
strausd
macrumors 68030
 
strausd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
This ought to get the mac pro refresh conversation going now....
Ya, especially since Apple uses the Mac Pro to show off FCPX. Oh wait...
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/images/hero.png
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/...al_viewers.jpg
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/...red_camera.jpg
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/...y_magnetic.jpg

Apple never once uses the Mac Pro to show off their most hardware intensive application. Sure, you might say who cares. But that is the closest thing they have to a professional application and they show it off on laptops. Face it, Apple doesn't care about the professional market. They are waiting to update the Mac Pro in 2013. That means a 3 year gap between updates. No company who actually cares about a specific type of customer will refuse them new products, new CPUs, or new GPUs for that long because if they do, those customers will switch to another platform. Time is money, and people can't just wait forever for a faster Mac Pro when they need to get work done. They just go to someone else that will provide the power they need. And not to mention the 2013 Mac Pro update could totally suck. It could just be a slight bump to bring on current I/O options as well as a minor spec bump. The Mac Pro doesn't even come with proper GPUs. No professional GPU is standard. The base GPU is a 5770, a low end gaming card, and a 5870, a mid range gaming card. The Evergreen GPU family, 5870 and 5770, are now over 3 years old and Apple has not even touched them. That's pathetic. And if we are waiting til 2013 for a Mac Pro update, that means the GPUs will be nearing 4 years old. And Apple could easily update just the GPUs and have pro customers buy them by themselves. But they don't. If Apple really wanted to cater to the professionals, they would have Quadros or Firepros standard, not gaming cards. Tell me one other company that sells workstations with gaming cards as the only options when you customize it online. Sure, you can buy a Quadro 4000, which is over 2 years old and inferior drivers compared to running one in Windows. And you can't even add one when building a Mac Pro. You have to first pay for a gaming card then you can buy a professional GPU. If Apple offered the upcoming Quadro K2000, K4000, and K5000 as the only GPU options for the 2013 Mac Pro, then maybe I would think that Apple still cares about professionals. But there is no evidence that makes me think they do.

Rant over.
strausd is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:04 PM   #20
Pathologos
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Anyone have tips or guide to set up a Mac mini render farm? I have given up on the Mac Pro and I love FCPX--- the render farm option seems like the best way to go.
Pathologos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:05 PM   #21
dbit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
Ya, especially since Apple uses the Mac Pro to show off FCPX. Oh wait...
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/images/hero.png
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/...al_viewers.jpg
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/...red_camera.jpg
http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/...y_magnetic.jpg

Apple never once uses the Mac Pro to show off their most hardware intensive application. Sure, you might say who cares. But that is the closest thing they have to a professional application and they show it off on laptops. Face it, Apple doesn't care about the professional market. They are waiting to update the Mac Pro in 2013. That means a 3 year gap between updates. No company who actually cares about a specific type of customer will refuse them new products, new CPUs, or new GPUs for that long because if they do, those customers will switch to another platform. Time is money, and people can't just wait forever for a faster Mac Pro when they need to get work done. They just go to someone else that will provide the power they need. And not to mention the 2013 Mac Pro update could totally suck. It could just be a slight bump to bring on current I/O options as well as a minor spec bump. The Mac Pro doesn't even come with proper GPUs. No professional GPU is standard. The base GPU is a 5770, a low end gaming card, and a 5870, a mid range gaming card. The Evergreen GPU family, 5870 and 5770, are now over 3 years old and Apple has not even touched them. That's pathetic. And if we are waiting til 2013 for a Mac Pro update, that means the GPUs will be nearing 4 years old. And Apple could easily update just the GPUs and have pro customers buy them by themselves. But they don't. If Apple really wanted to cater to the professionals, they would have Quadros or Firepros standard, not gaming cards. Tell me one other company that sells workstations with gaming cards as the only options when you customize it online. Sure, you can buy a Quadro 4000, which is over 2 years old and inferior drivers compared to running one in Windows. And you can't even add one when building a Mac Pro. You have to first pay for a gaming card then you can buy a professional GPU. If Apple offered the upcoming Quadro K2000, K4000, and K5000 as the only GPU options for the 2013 Mac Pro, then maybe I would think that Apple still cares about professionals. But there is no evidence that makes me think they do.

Rant over.


We need a smiley for the slow clap!
dbit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:06 PM   #22
jpine
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyChori View Post
I'm a current Final Cut Pro 7 user right now, can someone tell me if its worth upgrading to Final Cut Pro X yet?
Download the demo and set aside some time to give it a workout. For the work I do, I like it better than 7 or Adobe. But if I had to use multiple layers or a really long format project (other than a wedding), I'd be a little hesitant. But everything I do is usually 5 minutes or less.
jpine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:10 PM   #23
jorgie27
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Too late

These updates are too late! I edit at the 5th largest network in the U.S. We used to be 50% Avid 50% FCP. Ever since Apple stopped supporting FCP 7 and came out with FCP X, the network got rid of all FCP stations and it is now 100% Avid.
jorgie27 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:16 PM   #24
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Baltimore & NYC
Huge update. At less than the price of a plugin, this is a no-brainer for Mac editors, even if its just to play. The advancement in metadata handling is major for work groups that tie into MAM and archive systems. I'm excited. Native Redcode is sick. Background GPU rendering. This essentially is FCP X v3. Again, big big update.
Nicky G is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:18 PM   #25
bonehead
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lost Angeles
Glad to see they brought back dual viewers.
bonehead is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Releases OS X 10.9.2 With Fix for Major SSL Vulnerability, FaceTime Audio MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 471 Mar 18, 2014 07:06 PM
Major Disappointment: Using 15" Late 2013 MBP with Logic Pro X (and Final Cut Pro X) ooans MacBook Pro 21 Dec 29, 2013 06:05 PM
Flickr Releases Major Update to iOS App, Bringing Live Filters and Professional Editing Tools MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 7 Aug 29, 2013 12:58 PM
Resolved: Final Cut Pro X Audio Problem broadcast Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 May 28, 2013 11:59 AM
Problem with Audio with Final Cut Pro X horace528 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Sep 19, 2012 09:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC