Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Why so much hate for the new iMac?

The device is only thin on the edges. The back is almost as thick as the 2011 one. Even then, it has a GTX 680 MX video card which is brilliant. Did anyone want a desktop one? Did they expect one in the 2011 form factor? Is it even possible? And we don't know for sure if it has heating issues. The thin edges make it look sleek, and is still as powerful as one would want in an all in one,

27 inch still has removable ram slots, and we don't know yet for sure if the hard drive can or cannot be upgraded. Only 21 inch users can whine for that.

And why the complaints of the 21 inch version using a 5400 rpm drive? Isn't there a 128Gb SSD which stores the apps and the OS? What noticeable disadvantage would a 5400 rpm drive make?

And the lack of cd drive is a disadvantage– for the minority. Seriously, for most people, CDs are used very unoften. So a cheap external one can do it when needed. And for those who use it a lot, it's a disadvantage. But still for a minority. And I chonestly can't think of a disadvantage of a cheap third party CD drive on a desktop. No one has to lug it around. It's only pulled out of the draw when needed.

I still think its a marvellous machine and an absolute beauty.
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
We get this hate at every new iMac release. Nothing new.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
flopticalcube
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
And why the complaints of the 21 inch version using a 5400 rpm drive? Isn't there a 128Gb SSD which stores the apps and the OS? What noticeable disadvantage would a 5400 rpm drive make?
Only on the midrange and only as an option. The GPUs only have 512MB on the 21" which will be a pain for gaming going forward. Compared to the last iMac introduced 18 months ago, they are poor value, IMO. The 27" is better and will be beastly with the 680MX but it will be extremely expensive for what it is and outdated by new tech 4 or 5 months later.
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
There are some who hate everything Apple does. They hate what they make and don't make, when they make it, how they advertise it, what they charge, etc. Some think that Apple is in some way obligated to cater to everyone's whims. They don't seem to get the fact that Apple will make what they want, when they want, and charge what they want. If that doesn't meet someone's needs, they should buy elsewhere, rather than moan and complain about Apple. Some people just like to complain.
GGJstudios is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Only on the midrange and only as an option. The GPUs only have 512MB on the 21" which will be a pain for gaming going forward. Compared to the last iMac introduced 18 months ago, they are poor value, IMO. The 27" is better and will be beastly with the 680MX but it will be extremely expensive for what it is and outdated by new tech 4 or 5 months later.
The specs for the 21 inch version have been consistently better than the specs for the 21 inch version last year. Care to give me proof? And for the hard drives, you're right on that one. I concede
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:07 AM   #6
forty2j
macrumors 68030
 
forty2j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Change is scary.
__________________
 2012 iMac 3.2GHz 27" 680MX Fusion  iPhone 6  Apple TV 2  iPad Air 
forty2j is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:08 AM   #7
nagareru
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Only on the midrange and only as an option. The GPUs only have 512MB on the 21" which will be a pain for gaming going forward. Compared to the last iMac introduced 18 months ago, they are poor value, IMO. The 27" is better and will be beastly with the 680MX but it will be extremely expensive for what it is and outdated by new tech 4 or 5 months later.
So i guess you want an updated imac to do some heavy gaming, running bootcam, e.g windows. Why do you want the imac to run windows and play games? Specially the 21"?
nagareru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:12 AM   #8
flopticalcube
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
The specs for the 21 inch version have been consistently better than the specs for the 21 inch version last year. Care to give me proof?
This isn't last year. The 21" was decent at the time. The OD drive is gone. The RAM is fixed. The SD slot is now on the rear. 512MB cards at the end of 2012 just won't cut it going forward. This would have been OK (perhaps) 6 months ago but now its not.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagareru View Post
So i guess you want an updated imac to do some heavy gaming, running bootcam, e.g windows. Why do you want the imac to run windows and play games? Specially the 21"?
There will be many who want an all-around machine or family computer and you will want it to serve many needs, especially at these prices. I gave up on the iMac for the most part (my daughter still has one) last year as I saw the trend Apple was taking, particularly in the sub $2000 models, and I don't like it.
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:13 AM   #9
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
This isn't last year. The 21" was decent at the time. The OD drive is gone. The RAM is fixed. The SD slot is now on the rear. 512MB cards at the end of 2012 just won't cut it going forward. This would have been OK (perhaps) 6 months ago but now its not.
The 21 iMac is not, and never was, a gaming machine. Any dedicated gamer knows that this isn't the right choice. And for casual gaming, a GT 640M isn't bad.
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:17 AM   #10
jmhart
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
This isn't last year. The 21" was decent at the time. The OD drive is gone. The RAM is fixed. The SD slot is now on the rear. 512MB cards at the end of 2012 just won't cut it going forward. This would have been OK (perhaps) 6 months ago but now its not.
+1

I'm glad I didn't continue waiting and instead broke down and built a gaming PC. I may still consider an iMac, but certainly not this generation. No way I'm going to purchase a full price machine based on Ivy Bridge in December with Haswell coming only 3-5 months later. This generation iMac is for buyers who are otherwise unaware of Intel's product cycle or have no choice but to buy sooner rather than later.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like what they've done with the screen--eliminating my lingering concern about dust behind the glass. I suspect this years' model will be very popular as long as buyers remain unaware of the poor timing (really late) of this release. I think the line will benefit a great deal from the new laminated screen design going forward. Plus they will have the new design perfected for the 2013/Haswell iMac, so there should be no delay getting the next generation out the door once Haswell is ready.

So now I head into my 3rd year of waiting for Apple to get us the right hardware at the right time (IMO of course) so I can take the plunge.
jmhart is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:25 AM   #11
flopticalcube
macrumors G4
 
flopticalcube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the velcro closure of America's Hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
The 21 iMac is not, and never was, a gaming machine. Any dedicated gamer knows that this isn't the right choice. And for casual gaming, a GT 640M isn't bad.
Did I ever say it needed to be a dedicated gaming machine? It needs to be an all-rounder. 640M would have been a decent upgrade 6 months OK. Not now. Mid-range iMacs had 256MB 5 years ago!
__________________
Read the Rules / Search the Forums / Use a Descriptive Title
Mac Won't Boot?
flopticalcube is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:25 AM   #12
dany74m
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles - California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
The device is only thin on the edges. The back is almost as thick as the 2011 one. Even then, it has a GTX 680 MX video card which is brilliant. Did anyone want a desktop one? Did they expect one in the 2011 form factor? Is it even possible? And we don't know for sure if it has heating issues. The thin edges make it look sleek, and is still as powerful as one would want in an all in one,

27 inch still has removable ram slots, and we don't know yet for sure if the hard drive can or cannot be upgraded. Only 21 inch users can whine for that.

And why the complaints of the 21 inch version using a 5400 rpm drive? Isn't there a 128Gb SSD which stores the apps and the OS? What noticeable disadvantage would a 5400 rpm drive make?

And the lack of cd drive is a disadvantageľ for the minority. Seriously, for most people, CDs are used very unoften. So a cheap external one can do it when needed. And for those who use it a lot, it's a disadvantage. But still for a minority. And I chonestly can't think of a disadvantage of a cheap third party CD drive on a desktop. No one has to lug it around. It's only pulled out of the draw when needed.

I still think its a marvellous machine and an absolute beauty.
I think its an awesome machine and soon I will replace my 2011 Imac. I agree that cd/dvd are not so usefull anymore, but at least I was hoping for a bluray writer. I think there are still many people that burn cd/dvd, and professional that need to burn bluray like me. Of course I can use an external one, but the beauty of the Imac was also to have a powerfull and complete compact workstation without having so much cables running around.
dany74m is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:28 AM   #13
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
I could care less... much less... about what others think of it.
For me... it's an incredible machine and worth every penny.

I will be buying a new maxed out iMac this December.

Some of the people who post on these forums seem to be immature and whiny about ANY new Apple product. Their arguments are completely benign.

"What's that?"
"Oh I'm terribly sorry to hear that you wanted a ODD on the new iMac."
"I would suggest that you purchase the optional ODD as an alternative."
"Huh? You don't want to?"
"Well there are LOTS of other PC manufacturers out there. Maybe you should give them a shot."
"What's that? You love OSX?"
"Then I would suggest that you purchase the optional ODD as an alternative."
"Huh? You don't want to?"
"Well there are LOTS of other PC manufacturers out there. Maybe you should give them a shot."
"What's that? You love OSX?"

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum...
JayJayAbels is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:31 AM   #14
kitsunestudios
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Simple: because Apple doesn't offer a basic tower.

A lot of folks who use desktop computers do so because they need processor power, graphics power, or both. Desktop towers offer the most bang for the buck on this point, along with expansion through easy access to the drives, RAM and graphics systems, plus PCI-Express.

The Mac Mini is a basic computer. The Mac Pro is overpriced, outdated and underpowered compared to the i7 in all but a few specialist tasks. That just leaves the iMac for power users, and Apple is increasingly forcing them to buy the top-end model and front-load all the upgrades.

If you need the power of a desktop but not the 27" IPS screen, you can get a PC i7 or Xeon for $800-$1000 less. That's a hell of a premium for the advantage of using MacOS X.
kitsunestudios is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Felasco
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Some people just like to complain.
This is entirely true of course, but complaining is good, something to be welcomed. It means people still care about the product.

The problem to worry about is when people stop complaining because their attention has turned elsewhere. Once that happens no sales pitch will work, because those users are gone, no longer listening.

I used to complain about Apple a good bit. But then I solved the problem by no longer doing business with Apple. I discovered I'm much happier buying Macs in the used market.

It works like this:

1) I used to complain and buy from Apple.

2) I no longer complain or buy from Apple.

If I was Apple, I'd take option #1 over option #2.
Felasco is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Bendrix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
People are upset because they like Apple designs and the OS but they want a different implementation of the hardware. We're not haters, we're just people who feel like we're making a compromise whether going with Apple or another option when it doesn't have to be that way.

If Apple were as focused on performance and upgrade-ability as they are on design, you might well have the perfect product.
Bendrix is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:51 AM   #17
MacDouble
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
In my opinion the new model is a beautiful machine.
The hardware is what I have expected. Ivy Bridge, nvidia chips, faster ram and a better display without reflections.
The gpus are very strong even the gt 640m. It's ok in older games like WoW or Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3.
The only two reasons to cry are the 5400 rpm HDD in the 21'5 which is sh** and the ram.

I will buy a 27 low end model with Fusion or SSD in december.
MacDouble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 AM   #18
adildacoolset
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Did I ever say it needed to be a dedicated gaming machine? It needs to be an all-rounder. 640M would have been a decent upgrade 6 months OK. Not now. Mid-range iMacs had 256MB 5 years ago!
I own a 2010 MacBook Pro. Since you said its for all round family use, I'll compare. The MacBook Pro does everything, including casual gaming very well, eve with inferior specs. I even do 3d modelling and its not a problem. I can't really see what is bad about a GT 640M. It's still good
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Gaelic2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains of N. California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
This isn't last year. The 21" was decent at the time. The OD drive is gone. The RAM is fixed. The SD slot is now on the rear. 512MB cards at the end of 2012 just won't cut it going forward. This would have been OK (perhaps) 6 months ago but now its not.

----------



There will be many who want an all-around machine or family computer and you will want it to serve many needs, especially at these prices. I gave up on the iMac for the most part (my daughter still has one) last year as I saw the trend Apple was taking, particularly in the sub $2000 models, and I don't like it.
If you gave up on the Mac, as you say, then why are you still bitching about the Mac on this forum?
Gaelic2 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:03 PM   #20
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
We get this hate at every new iMac release. Nothing new.
You know, there is just a great deal of hate in the world in general it seems. You see this on virtually everything from new cars to new TV's. People just like to complain.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic2 View Post
If you gave up on the Mac, as you say, then why are you still bitching about the Mac on this forum?
Exactly!!!! mind bending....

Actually this is my favorite comment:

"Anyone prefer not to have the edge thin due to the fat bulge?"
really?? wow. I guess this guy works from behind.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:06 PM   #21
whitel4
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTanny View Post

2) I no longer complain or buy from Apple.
Why are you using this forum?

Apple could have done a million different things with the new iMac. What they have decided is good but could be better.

It will do everything I need. Only concern.... The price! But not far off value. would be happy to pay old prices.
whitel4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:16 PM   #22
MacSignal
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunestudios View Post
Simple: because Apple doesn't offer a basic tower.

A lot of folks who use desktop computers do so because they need processor power, graphics power, or both. Desktop towers offer the most bang for the buck on this point, along with expansion through easy access to the drives, RAM and graphics systems, plus PCI-Express.

The Mac Mini is a basic computer. The Mac Pro is overpriced, outdated and underpowered compared to the i7 in all but a few specialist tasks. That just leaves the iMac for power users, and Apple is increasingly forcing them to buy the top-end model and front-load all the upgrades.

If you need the power of a desktop but not the 27" IPS screen, you can get a PC i7 or Xeon for $800-$1000 less. That's a hell of a premium for the advantage of using MacOS X.
Good points! An internally expandable desktop would answer a lot of the iMac "hate"at the risk if siphoning away too many iMac sales.

Whatever gets posted here, people will vote with their dollars. As the people complaining have the option not to buy, don't the people complaining about other people complaining have the option to skim over the critical comments?
__________________
MacSignal
MacSignal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:19 PM   #23
echomango
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I think Apple has brought some of this on themselves. When you don't update a product well beyond the usual date for updating there will likely be some bitterness left in the wake. We have seen clearly on these boards the irritiation of being so befeft of information. This was especially hard on those who had to make a decision for what to buy without knowing Apple's plans.

I wonder if Apple didn't realize this and announce their products a bit early and prior to their availability?

The other piece of this may be Apple's huge wealth. Knowing this and seeing some of their upgrade prices has to give one pause. Why would a company that is so wealthy charge more than the usual retail markup for their products upgrades?

Frankly, I am going to buy one anyway and am just happy the damn things are announced and now I can make an informed decision.
echomango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:21 PM   #24
theSeb
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Did I ever say it needed to be a dedicated gaming machine? It needs to be an all-rounder. 640M would have been a decent upgrade 6 months OK. Not now. Mid-range iMacs had 256MB 5 years ago!
It's hardly outdated. Any of these iMacs will be perfectly fine to use for a long time. If you're the type to constantly chase the latest and thinks that a new graphics card is necessary every 6 months, then an all in one is not the solution.
__________________
What is Other on my HDD?
Throttling, overheating and Geekbench
theSeb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:21 PM   #25
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by echomango View Post
Why would a company that is so wealthy charge more than the usual retail markup for their products upgrades?
Here's why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by echomango View Post
I am going to buy one anyway
How do you think they became wealthy?
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hate the Gays, Hate the Capitalists Christian right steals rights. steve knight Politics, Religion, Social Issues 75 Sep 25, 2014 11:44 AM
Love and hate my imac liquorice iMac 7 Dec 9, 2013 06:17 AM
General: I hate it when this happens glsillygili Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Apr 25, 2013 01:35 AM
Don't Hate the Player! Hate the Game! Unlimited Upgraded and kept Unlimited Data! Romeoc1984 iPhone 44 Oct 21, 2012 04:18 PM
Apple and Samsung Moving into 'Hate-Hate' Relationship MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 206 Oct 17, 2012 10:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC