Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Teardown Reveals Minor Improvements in Accessibility

iFixit has already performed one of its traditional high-quality teardowns on the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, noting that while those looking to repair their machines face many of the same challenges seen with the 15-inch model, there are a few changes that improve accessibility somewhat.

One of the most interesting changes relative to the larger model is a battery layout that leaves the area underneath the trackpad free of battery cells. In place of battery cells in that location, Apple has elected to mount the 13-inch model's flash storage, a move that allows access to the trackpad for replacement if necessary.

Another one of iFixit's major criticisms of the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro design was the glued-in battery cells that were found to be extremely difficult and time-consuming to remove without puncturing the cells. In the new 13-inch model, two of the six battery cells are housed in a metal tray that includes no adhesive, while the remaining four cells still required roughly 15 minutes of work to pry loose from the case.

The teardown of the 13-inch model otherwise yields few surprises compared to the larger 15-inch model, and the similar challenges of soldered RAM, proprietary screws, integrated display, and glued-in battery have led iFixit to award the 13-inch model a repairability score of 2 out of 10, one point higher than the 15-inch model.

Article Link: 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Teardown Reveals Minor Improvements in Accessibility
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Applecare is the answer to all your problems. Might not like it but better option to save your expensive rMBP.
I8P'CS is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:50 AM   #3
GreenFreaK
macrumors member

Yes, apple... please replace all connectors with the kitten connector!
GreenFreaK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:50 AM   #4
gregwyattjr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro design was the glued-in battery cells that were found to be extremely difficult and time-consuming to remove without puncturing the cells
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
vthree
macrumors member

cant wait to see a new imac tear down..
vthree is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Nee412
macrumors regular

This is the cost of fitting so much in such a small machine. The downside to technological evolution. To the average consumer it won't make a difference though.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
needfx
macrumors 68020

Get rMBP - check
Tear it down - check
Put it back together - pending
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
robvas
macrumors 68000

Wonder why you can almost fit a 2.5" SSD in the stock location. Last minute design change?
robvas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 AM   #9
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Seems pretty much the same for the 15 inch. Hello apple care!
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 AM   #10
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

I will only go retina when there is a retina ACD to go with it. Otherwise, switching between a retina macbook and a non-retina ACD is painful.

also, photoshop.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 AM   #11
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
… have led iFixit to award the 13-inch model a repairability score of 2 out of 10, one point higher than the 15-inch model.
Now 100% more repairable!!*

*Than the 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pro
kalsta is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:58 AM   #12
r2ro
macrumors newbie

Mbp 13 retina VS MacBook Air 13

So now there's no more disc drives... Etc and they're lookin thin'n'fit...

Why exactly would one buy a MacBook Air over a MacBook Pro 13 inch???

Is there a difference anymore? What is the point of the MacBook airs now?
r2ro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:59 AM   #13
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Now 100% more repairable!!*

*Than the 15-Inch Retina MacBook Pro
lolz
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:00 AM   #14
inspirations365
macrumors regular

Not sure why/if people were expecting anything different...It's literally the same thing as the 15" rMBP...

*with less parts, but that shouldn't, by default, make the assembly/disassembly any different.
inspirations365 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:01 AM   #15
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
lolz
Funny you should say that. At first I wrote '200% more' and then I thought… hang on, it's 200% as repairable, making it 100% more repairable. Now it's up to the marketing guys to work out which one sounds better!

Edit: As soon as I posted the above, I notice you removed your comment about it being 200%. I guess you came to the same realisation?
kalsta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nee412 View Post
This is the cost of fitting so much in such a small machine. The downside to technological evolution. To the average consumer it won't make a difference though.
exactly..

I got no problems with it. My gaming pc that I had in the past was upgraded only once in the 4 years I owned it, and that was just adding another hard drive.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Does iFixit ever take apart computers other than Macs? It seems like their obsessed with Apple.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:02 AM   #18
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Funny you should say that. At first I wrote 200% and then I thought…*hang on, it's 200% as repairable, making it 100% more repairable. Now it's up to the marketing guys to work out which one sounds better!
I edited it because the percentile is in a grey area of syntax & math, so I let it be

Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Baumpie
macrumors newbie

Sigh...
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:08 AM   #20
gielie
macrumors newbie

I wonder how de EU will react on the fact you cannot remove the battery yourself, according to EU directives this should be the case on all electronics.
gielie is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:17 AM   #21
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Repairability

iFixit 2/10

Apple 10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gielie View Post
I wonder how de EU will react on the fact you cannot remove the battery yourself, according to EU directives this should be the case on all electronics.
Directive is not Law.

Quote:
A directive is a legislative act of the European Union,[1] which requires member states to achieve a particular result without dictating the means of achieving that result. It can be distinguished from regulations which are self-executing and do not require any implementing measures. Directives normally leave member states with a certain amount of leeway as to the exact rules to be adopted. Directives can be adopted by means of a variety of legislative procedures depending on their subject matter.
Directive European Union

Last edited by justperry; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
justperry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:17 AM   #22
tonytiger13
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2ro View Post
So now there's no more disc drives... Etc and they're lookin thin'n'fit...

Why exactly would one buy a MacBook Air over a MacBook Pro 13 inch???

Is there a difference anymore? What is the point of the MacBook airs now?
Price. Now the Air is lower end parts (less speed, less ports, no retina). Apple compensates by charging less for it. Also, there is an 11-inch model, which I'm curious of its success. At $999, I'm sure it's successful, but is it enough to keep it around?
tonytiger13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:18 AM   #23
KikoPT
macrumors member

I still find amazing that ...

I still find amazing that you can not customize a 16GB RAM option on this thing ...

Even on the 15" rMBP i don't find any store selling a 16GB option (besides apple online store, of course).
KikoPT is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:20 AM   #24
tonytiger13
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
exactly..

I got no problems with it. My gaming pc that I had in the past was upgraded only once in the 4 years I owned it, and that was just adding another hard drive.
And this is who they're targeting. The 80%-90% of consumers that don't touch a computer after initial purchase. Everybody I know that has upgraded their RAM was only because I suggested it and helped find the right type for them. I myself would love to build another gaming PC from scratch and upgrade it periodically, but my laptops (aka MacBook Pro) I wouldn't touch...maybe ...now I'm wondering if I should take out my optical and switch it for a SSD...
tonytiger13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Hakone
macrumors 6502

It also reveals minor capabilities as a "Pro"
Hakone is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion