Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:26 AM   #1
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Hurricane Sandy - The Perfect Storm...Part Deux

Hope everyone in the NE area is taking proper precautions. It looks like it is going to be pretty bad with the low from the west meeting up with the Hurricane Sandy.

I know my atmospheric grad program at CSU is pretty much abuzz about it and what may happen
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:25 PM   #2
TedM
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
I hope it doesn't ruin halloween for you guys
__________________
http://www.yourpoetic.com/
TedM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
I'm a few miles from the north shore of Long Island. Kind of nervous to be honest. That said, I have an 8000 watt generator that I back feed from my garage, water pumps just in case my basement springs a leak. It's never happened before, but there's always that first time.

Wish me luck!!
__________________
Mid 2011 Base Mac Mini running Mavericks w/ 8GB of RAM, 2 TB Seagate Expansion USB HD, 46" Samsung Display, Logitech K750 Wireless Keyboard w/ Anywhere MX Mouse, Airport Express
Mr. McMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
I hope it doesn't ruin halloween for you guys
How could it? Should be a scary storm.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:03 PM   #5
TedM
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
How could it? Should be a scary storm.
No trick or treatin.... Would be a pretty big upset to any kid I think.
__________________
http://www.yourpoetic.com/
TedM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:38 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
It should miss NC or damn near. Otherwise I'd be here whining like a *****.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Ngorkes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Last year it snowed halloween here and now i a hurricane.
Ngorkes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:59 PM   #8
senseless
macrumors 65816
 
senseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Loading the Ipod with podcasts and have a car charger ready to go. A generator to run the sump pump would have been a good idea. I thought about using a UPS, but I don't think it would run more than a few minutes.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:30 AM   #9
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I like the idea of the podcasts...Ill have to load up my idevices with them...

Funny enough, last week even before this became a concern I went out and stocked up on some canned food and filled up my water containers (20 gallons total)...

Wish I had a generator...that was on my to do list for this year but I wasn't able to make it happen.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:37 PM   #10
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816
 
wvuwhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Here in Northern VA, they're making it sound like it's going to hit us pretty hard, but nothing like Jersey or NY.

Still, went out and got my stuff from the grocery store tonight. Can never be too safe.
wvuwhat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Tilpots
macrumors 601
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
It's been raining here in Wilmington, NC for about 24hrs, but only about 4-5 inches accumulated so far. Gusts are getting up to 40mph. In my neck, this is no big deal. We're used to direct hits. But we're not gettin the Frankenstorm parts...

To those of you in the path, good luck and stay safe. Keep your phone charged and invest in a car charger if you don't have one. Water and food are important, but with no power, tv or Internet things get really boring really fast.
Tilpots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
No trick or treatin.... Would be a pretty big upset to any kid I think.
Yes, I know. The wink meant that the comment was made "tongue-in-cheek". I have a subtle sense of humor, apparently.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:42 PM   #13
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
This is being hyped up like crazy by the media. You think they would have enough stories with the election coming up that they wouldn't need to pull this crap.

We're going to get like 40-50 mph wind gusts and a little bit of rain here. Basically the same conditions as we had during thunderstorms the past couple of weekends. Hardly the apocalypse these media clowns are trying to make it out to be.

There are already some places that have cancelled school. Idiots. I hope it ends up being like nothing and these people feel like idiots when they are making these days up in july.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:10 PM   #14
OutThere
macrumors 603
 
OutThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NYC
They're shutting down all the public transit in NYC tonight at 7pm. Guess I'm not going in to work tomorrow...
OutThere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:34 PM   #15
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
This is being hyped up like crazy by the media. You think they would have enough stories with the election coming up that they wouldn't need to pull this crap.

We're going to get like 40-50 mph wind gusts and a little bit of rain here. Basically the same conditions as we had during thunderstorms the past couple of weekends. Hardly the apocalypse these media clowns are trying to make it out to be.

There are already some places that have cancelled school. Idiots. I hope it ends up being like nothing and these people feel like idiots when they are making these days up in july.
Do you remember stries of the hurricane of 38, this could be worse.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:38 PM   #16
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
The school systems in the Boston area have already cancelled school for tomorrow which I'm a bit confused over.

The storm AFAIK, is not due to hit us until monday night and even then, it will only be tropical storm level - why cancel school well before the arrival of the school
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:56 PM   #17
thefredelement
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Evacuating w/the Mac Pro

Well, Sandy is on her way here. Aside from the food and camera I'm going to be packing up the Mac as well. Anyone else doing the same?
__________________
Mac Pro; cMBP; iPad, iPhone
thefredelement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:16 PM   #18
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Do you remember stries of the hurricane of 38, this could be worse.
Maybe for Jersey and Delaware, but not where I am.

We're forecasted to get 2-4 inches of ran between now and Wednesday and it will be a little windy. The area where the storm is going ashore (at least 250 miles southeast of me) is going to get 50-60mph winds with gusts up to around 75mph. Here we'll probably see 30-40mph with gusts around 50, maybe a few approaching 60.

It's not going to be much more here in MA than the dozens of severe thunderstorms we had over this past summer. I mean, ****, we had a storm with 40mph winds last weekend. That's why there's already barely any leaves left on the trees, it killed the foliage season way early.

No doubt it's going to be a big storm for the people down in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey where the storm is going ashore, but people around here are freaking out like we have a category 5 hurricane coming straight up Narragansett Bay. This isn't happening here, but these idiots are already closing down schools & businesses for some overhyped wind.

This just reminds me of when we had school cancelled back when I was in middle school (around 1999 or so) for a "hurricane day" and it turned out to be 75 degrees and gorgeous out.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:16 PM   #19
OutThere
macrumors 603
 
OutThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
The school systems in the Boston area have already cancelled school for tomorrow which I'm a bit confused over.

The storm AFAIK, is not due to hit us until monday night and even then, it will only be tropical storm level - why cancel school well before the arrival of the school
The line I'm hearing here in nyc is that they're preemptively closing things to make it completely clear that people shouldn't be out and about during the storm.
OutThere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:34 PM   #20
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Maybe for Jersey and Delaware, but not where I am.

We're forecasted to get 2-4 inches of ran between now and Wednesday and it will be a little windy. The area where the storm is going ashore (at least 250 miles southeast of me) is going to get 50-60mph winds with gusts up to around 75mph. Here we'll probably see 30-40mph with gusts around 50, maybe a few approaching 60.

It's not going to be much more here in MA than the dozens of severe thunderstorms we had over this past summer. I mean, ****, we had a storm with 40mph winds last weekend. That's why there's already barely any leaves left on the trees, it killed the foliage season way early.

No doubt it's going to be a big storm for the people down in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey where the storm is going ashore, but people around here are freaking out like we have a category 5 hurricane coming straight up Narragansett Bay. This isn't happening here, but these idiots are already closing down schools & businesses for some overhyped wind.

This just reminds me of when we had school cancelled back when I was in middle school (around 1999 or so) for a "hurricane day" and it turned out to be 75 degrees and gorgeous out.
The CT coast is going to see flooding that hasn't been seen since 1956 and New York City might get all time record high flooding in lower Manhattan of 12 feet in Battery Park. Just because you are in Boston doesn't mean you won't get bad winds as the storm extends 400 miles from the center. They are also measuring this storm as one of the lowest pressures to ever hit.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:45 PM   #21
beto2k7
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ::1
I live in a city that thank god is not in risk of being hit by a hurricane. Ever. However there are the unavoidable emergencies. I would not try to save my Mac pro as the thing weighs in at 50+ lbs. I have an insurance and off site backups of my drives that will allow me to leave it behind should I found myself in an emergency.
beto2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:53 PM   #22
Tilpots
macrumors 601
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The CT coast is going to see flooding that hasn't been seen since 1956 and New York City might get all time record high flooding in lower Manhattan of 12 feet in Battery Park. Just because you are in Boston doesn't mean you won't get bad winds as the storm extends 400 miles from the center. They are also measuring this storm as one of the lowest pressures to ever hit.
The lunar tides and storm surge will have major impacts in all areas, regardless of rain and wind.


Zioxide, The authorities are being cautious, pretty harsh to fault them for that. I'd rather them be proactive in preparations than reactive to conditions. Damage amounts go way, way down when a community is prepared.
__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:01 PM   #23
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The CT coast is going to see flooding that hasn't been seen since 1956 and New York City might get all time record high flooding in lower Manhattan of 12 feet in Battery Park. Just because you are in Boston doesn't mean you won't get bad winds as the storm extends 400 miles from the center. They are also measuring this storm as one of the lowest pressures to ever hit.
How bad can the winds possibly get when the winds now are only 75mph? They are only going to get weaker as the storm comes ashore. No doubt flooding along the coast is a major concern, but for areas where flooding isn't a factor, this isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as they are freaking out to be.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:06 PM   #24
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
How bad can the winds possibly get when the winds now are only 75mph? They are only going to get weaker as the storm comes ashore. No doubt flooding along the coast is a major concern, but for areas where flooding isn't a factor, this isn't going to be anywhere near as bad as they are freaking out to be.
Hurricane force winds could extend into Maine. And this storm is going to slow down and be a 36 hour event.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
The lunar tides and storm surge will have major impacts in all areas, regardless of rain and wind.


Zioxide, The authorities are being cautious, pretty harsh to fault them for that. I'd rather them be proactive in preparations than reactive to conditions. Damage amounts go way, way down when a community is prepared.
Yes the lunar tides will cause water rise but adding storm surge and water being driven in will make it much worse than usual.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:12 PM   #25
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
How bad can the winds possibly get when the winds now are only 75mph?
Where I live (Virginia Beach), the issue isn't the maximum wind strength, it's that the strong winds will be lasting for 24-36 hours.

Usually storms only take a few hours to pass. Having high winds start on Sunday, and continue through Monday, and into Tuesday ... that's extremely unusual (for here, anyway).

Quote:
A High Wind Warning remains in effect until 8 PM EDT Monday.

Timing: from Sunday morning through Monday evening.

Wind: northeast winds 30 to 45 mph... with gusts to 55 mph. On
Monday... northwest winds 35 to 45 mph with gusts to around 60 mph.

Impacts: prolonged strong winds and saturated soils will increase the potential for downed trees... power outages... and possibly structural damage.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7.1, where art thou? Part deux zorinlynx iOS 7 256 Mar 10, 2014 12:59 PM
Apple Donates $2.5 Million to American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 285 Nov 17, 2012 12:11 PM
Hurricane Sandy Jersey Shore Aerials pwhitehead Community Discussion 0 Oct 31, 2012 09:13 PM
Hurricane Sandy and November 2 Delivery bsquared397 iPad 15 Oct 28, 2012 01:35 PM
Hurricane Sandy MacNut Community Discussion 7 Oct 26, 2012 01:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC