Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so confused....

• iPhone5 (4") + mini iPad (7.9")

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note (5.5")

Votes: 40 53.3%

• Total voters

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I'm seriously considering selling my iPhone5 to get the GSN2 to save money from having to buy 2 different devices

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Portable phone + tablet

OR

Non-portable phone

Personally I think the Apple duo would be the better choice. Just my two cents.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Currently still on the iPhone 4 because neither the 4s nor the 5 gave me the desire to update but the Note II did, should get it early next week.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Look at how much have you invested in the iOS app store. If like me you have spent over $1k in the past couple of years, then stick with your iOS device or devices.

If you have little investment in it, then yes sell the iphone 5 and go for the GSN2 if it seemingly suits your needs and desires more currently.

You won't regret your decision.

a bit of a sweeping generalisation / assumption about someone you know absolutely nothing about :confused:

He may be riddled with guilt constantly for all we know ;)

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
given the conjuncture of mobile gadgets (phones, pads and all), I don't think I would be investing in anything else other than :apple: for the time being.

until the next best thing is out, but it is hard to kick apple in the naggers

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Portable phone + tablet

OR

Non-portable phone

Personally I think the Apple duo would be the better choice. Just my two cents.

What? This makes no sense. How is carrying two devices, one being 2 inches bigger, be more portable?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
What? This makes no sense. How is carrying two devices, one being 2 inches bigger, be more portable?

One phone you can easily pocket and hold + one well-stocked iPad mini with great ecosystem

Or one pseudo tablet and unwieldy phone

The phablet form factor is the worst of both worlds, in my opinion.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have probably invested around $35 for some paid apps...

Considering your minimal investment, I'd consider the Note II. I personally wouldn't do it as I also am not a fan of the phablet--too big a phone, too small of a tablet but I can certainly understand the appeal for many, especially if you only want to carry one device. Also, it'll be quite a bit less expensive.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I think that all depends on what you would do with the iPad mini. Can those things be accomplished on the Galaxy Note?

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I think so... All whats missing with my iphone5 is a larger screen for reading documents etc... It'll tire my eyes

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Personally I'd rather have an all in one device if you plan on carrying both with you all the time anyway.

It's the purpose of a smart phone. I don't carry a laptop around because my phone can take care of the task I need it too. My eyes are still good enough for an iPhone 4S thankfully.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I am tempted by the iPad mini, I will wait to see what Google offers next week though.

If the size of the Note II suits your needs and the size works for you, then IMHO, thats the winner.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
One phone you can easily pocket and hold + one well-stocked iPad mini with great ecosystem

Or one pseudo tablet and unwieldy phone

The phablet form factor is the worst of both worlds, in my opinion.

Good thing it's just your opinion.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If I had to carry an iPhone AND an iPad mini around or a Note II, I'd choose the Note II.

I don't get how people can say the Note II isn't portable due to its size but the iPad mini is. The fact is iPad mini is larger than the Note II AND you're carrying around an iPhone as well. Where exactly do you store both idevices in your everyday routine when you leave the house each day?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I haven't decided either but have same thoughts as you. I like one device deal. Lost interest in iPhone due to lack of supply. Will probably get GN2 and skip iPhone.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I decided to go with the iPhone5 and ipad mini combo... SGN2 is an ugly device actually

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
I've been using the Galaxy Note 2 for a few weeks now and haven't looked back. The people saying it's too big to fit in your pocket haven't used the Note, it slips in and out of my pocket like any other phone, unless you're wearing skinny jeans.

As for this debate, I'd recommend getting the Note 2 over the iPhone and iPad mini. Firstly it'll cost you far less to just get the Note 2, but it doesn't make sense to carry around 2 devices when you can get one device (Note 2) which can do everything they can do all in one phone.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I've been using the Galaxy Note 2 for a few weeks now and haven't looked back. The people saying it's too big to fit in your pocket haven't used the Note, it slips in and out of my pocket like any other phone, unless you're wearing skinny jeans.

As for this debate, I'd recommend getting the Note 2 over the iPhone and iPad mini. Firstly it'll cost you far less to just get the Note 2, but it doesn't make sense to carry around 2 devices when you can get one device (Note 2) which can do everything they can do all in one phone.

Do you find that the screen is big enough to be used for reading magazines/pdf documets comfortably after many hours?

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Do you find that the screen is big enough to be used for reading magazines/pdf documets comfortably after many hours?

I have the note 1 and I look at a lot of pdf files through the day and the screen size is great for viewing them. I imagine the note 2 is even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.