Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackify

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
California
Unless you just have extra money to spend, why would you purchase LTE in an iPad if you're on Verizon with an iPhone 5? You can share the data for free so what's the point in spending hundreds more for an iPad with LTE?

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I bought the LTE iPad 3 so I could use it as a wifi hotspot without running my phone battery down. Add that to the fact that you can't do voice and data at the same time on Verizon and it makes sense. Also, I am able to get through an entire day using my iPad as a hotspot.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I personally couldn't justify the LTE version of an iPad, especially because I can set up a personal hotspot on my iPhone.

zackify

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
California
I bought the LTE iPad 3 so I could use it as a wifi hotspot without running my phone battery down. Add that to the fact that you can't do voice and data at the same time on Verizon and it makes sense. Also, I am able to get through an entire day using my iPad as a hotspot.

For me, it doesn't seem to be worth the extra $100+ dollars, I would rather get more storage (which is also a rip off) for that price. But I see why it would be nice to have.

----------

GPS if its worth the extra $130 for you. Otherwise, not really worth it unless you travel a lot.

How can it be worth it for that reason if you have an iPhone 5 already?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Because having LTE on the iPad is more convenient. And some of us don't mind paying extra for a little more convenience.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Because having LTE on the iPad is more convenient. And some of us don't mind paying extra for a little more convenience.

also, VZ is unlocked to the 3G overseas so you can pop in another SIM and VZ LTE iPad is more compatible with multiple international carriers..

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I think for 80-90% of people. An LTE iPad isn't necessary.

Most either have hotspot enabled or are around wifi. Just remember readers on macrumors aren't ur regular consumers

If I didn't have unlimited LTE Verizon data plan from my Verizon sim. I wouldn't have gotten a Verizon LTE iPad and gotten a wifi iPad.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
The title of your post does not mention the Verizon part. For me, I am on AT&T on my iphone 5 with grandfathered unlimited data. I need a hot spot to do work on my laptop and can't get it with the phone because AT&T doesn't allow it on my plan. This is the reason why I need a hotspot and ability to use the ipad outside of wifi zones.

zackify

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
California
The title of your post does not mention the Verizon part. For me, I am on AT&T on my iphone 5 with grandfathered unlimited data. I need a hot spot to do work on my laptop and can't get it with the phone because AT&T doesn't allow it on my plan. This is the reason why I need a hotspot and ability to use the ipad outside of wifi zones.

Sorry, I forgot to put it in.

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
Unless you just have extra money to spend, why would you purchase LTE in an iPad if you're on Verizon with an iPhone 5? You can share the data for free so what's the point in spending hundreds more for an iPad with LTE?

I use my iPad 3 as my map during multi-day hikes. The LTE version has GPS, the wifi does not. That alone is worth it to me.

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad, I can also tell you, tethering will kill your battery in just a hours, so will running the GPS. The iPads much larger battery allows you the same or greater functionality without a dead phone in 4 hours.

zackify

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
California
I use my iPad 3 as my map during multi-day hikes. The LTE version has GPS, the wifi does not. That alone is worth it to me.

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad, I can also tell you, tethering will kill your battery in just a hours, so will running the GPS. The iPads much larger battery allows you the same or greater functionality without a dead phone in 4 hours.

Good to know, btw, what apps do you use for hiking? I'm guessing something that fetches map data in advance?

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
the title of your post does not mention the verizon part. For me, i am on at&t on my iphone 5 with grandfathered unlimited data. I need a hot spot to do work on my laptop and can't get it with the phone because at&t doesn't allow it on my plan. This is the reason why i need a hotspot and ability to use the ipad outside of wifi zones.

+1

Come on iOS 6 jailbreak.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I am going to add it mobile share plan replacing my iPad 1 with 3G. It's $10 a month to add a tablet. I have 2 iPhones and 1 iPad with 10 GB of data. I have plenty of data. Work pays my phone bill, so it really doesn't matter to me. I have free tethering, but rarely use it unless I need access on my laptop.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
For me, it doesn't seem to be worth the extra $100+ dollars, I would rather get more storage (which is also a rip off) for that price. But I see why it would be nice to have.

----------

How can it be worth it for that reason if you have an iPhone 5 already?

Convienance of not having to hot spot the iPhone so you have "extra" data if you aren't using a share plan with it. Always on data, iPhones hotspot kicks you off after a few minutes of inactivity. If you lose your iPhone in a taxi or somewhere you're not stuck without data. Plethora of reasons, none of the pertain to you probably.

The biggest one would be; work pays for your mobile devices so why the hell not?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I live in the Washington, DC area, which is one of the areas about to be hammered by Hurricane Sandy / Frankenstorm. I have WiFi at home, which I'm using right now. I also have the iPhone 5 (AT&T grandfathered unlimited cellular data), the iPad 2 (AT&T 3 G) and the iPad 3 (AT&T LTE). I have used the cellular data from time to time when in situations where there is no WiFi and I needed access to the internet. That's made this valuable right there. However, there's more: I fully anticipate that in the next day or so my power will go out for an unknown period of time. During that time, assuming that the cellular networks are all functioning properly, I will still be able to make phone calls (iPhone) and also check in with friends and family via iPhone and both iPads through cellular data, and I'll be able to check in on what is happening around my area and in other areas through the same cellular data access. That is why I have this on my iPads. Sure, I don't need to use it often, but by gum, when I do, I want it there, and it is. One device runs out of juice? No problem -- pick up the next one and continue where I left off. Eventually I'll be able to run out to the car to recharge at least the iPhone and maybe one iPad, but that may or may not be necessary, depending upon how long the outage is.

To me, having cellular data available on my iPads is very valuable and I am thankful for it in situations such as the one many of us are about to face.

Last edited:

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I live in the Washington, DC area, which is one of the areas about to be hammered by Hurricane Sandy / Frankenstorm. I have WiFi at home, which I'm using right now. I also have the iPhone 5 (AT&T grandfathered unlimited cellular data), the iPhone 2 (AT&T 3 G) and the iPhone 3 (AT&T LTE). I have used the cellular data from time to time when in situations where there is no WiFi and I needed access to the internet. That's made this valuable right there. However, there's more: I fully anticipate that in the next day or so my power will go out for an unknown period of time. During that time, assuming that the cellular networks are all functioning properly, I will still be able to make phone calls (iPhone) and also check in with friends and family via iPhone and both iPads through cellular data, and I'll be able to check in on what is happening around my area and in other areas through the same cellular data access. That is why I have this on my iPads. Sure, I don't need to use it often, but by gum, when I do, I want it there, and it is. One device runs out of juice? No problem -- pick up the next one and continue where I left off. Eventually I'll be able to run out the car to recharge at least the iPhone and maybe one iPad, but that may or may not be necessary, depending upon how long the outage is.

To me, having cellular data available on my iPads is very valuable and I am thankful for it in situations such as the one many of us are about to face.

If you're that concerned, why not get a gas powered generator as well? We all know Pepco is not the best when it comes to speedy repair.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
For me it's the other way around ... Have a grand fathered unlimited AT&T iPad sim and have unlocked iPhone 5 on T-Mobiles slow edge speed. So I share iPad to iPhone through MyWi.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I am currently grandfathered in to AT&T's unlimited data on my iPhone 4S. If I wanted to enable the hotspot feature on my phone, I would lose it. That was a deal breaker for me. So, spending the extra $130 for an LTE enabled iPad 3 was worth it to me. Also, I am not always near wifi, so I love the ability to connect when I am out and about.

Crabnbass

Oct 23, 2012
I'm a commercial fisherman, and I use the iPad for a backup navigational tool. There are some very useful weather apps as well. Probably in the minority on that one however. Only having coverage <25 miles offshore is the only downside. Plus, the iPhone's screen is really small for internet access isn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.