Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1
aidancbrady
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iMac: Get one now or wait?

First of all, I'm new here. My goal in this post is to get some opinions, not hate for posting a thread regarding a question that may have already been answered.

I'm a long time mac user. For the past three years I've been saving up for the computer of my dreams: a 27'' iMac with a 3.4 GHz processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 1 TB HDD, boosted video card, and i7 processor. I had everything planned to get this computer on October 25th of this year, and boy, was I excited.

Well guess what. Apple, for some reason, felt like announcing their new amazing iMac that's 45% thinner, 8 pounds lighter, has an Ivy Bridge processor, USB 3.0, etc. etc... two days before that.

Note that:
(a.) the you're right that the computer is $100 more than the previous model, but I'm getting the high-end that's price remained the same.

(b.) the optical does not bother me as I will be primarily building java games, using Final Cut Pro X, and browsing reddit.

As much as you try, you will not be able to convince me to get a lower-end model for several reasons, mainly because I am ready to throw my MacBook Air with 2 GB of RAM out the window due to it's un-reliance when it comes to multitasking.

My local apple store is selling the model I want at a $100 discount, which isn't that much, but is still money.

So anyway, the iMac is shipping in December which is long enough anyway, and Big Tim himself announced the shortages of these new 'friction stir welded' computers. Also, when apple says it will be available in any certain month, it's usually in the last week of it. Say they somehow let me preorder a few days before christmas, and then start shipping a week after that. We're already in January then, not to mention the time it will take them to assemble it and get it to my house. As you can see, I'm getting rather impatient.

What do I do. Should I just meditate once a day to get that beautiful piece of equipment out of my mind and get the new model when I can, or get over with it and grab it at the apple store today?

Thanks everyone, I hope you can help me make the right choice.

-Aidan
aidancbrady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
mac.ross
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidancbrady View Post
First of all, I'm new here. My goal in this post is to get some opinions, not hate for posting a thread regarding a question that may have already been answered.

I'm a long time mac user. For the past three years I've been saving up for the computer of my dreams: a 27'' iMac with a 3.4 GHz processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 1 TB HDD, boosted video card, and i7 processor. I had everything planned to get this computer on October 25th of this year, and boy, was I excited.

Well guess what. Apple, for some reason, felt like announcing their new amazing iMac that's 45% thinner, 8 pounds lighter, has an Ivy Bridge processor, USB 3.0, etc. etc... two days before that.

Note that:
(a.) the you're right that the computer is $100 more than the previous model, but I'm getting the high-end that's price remained the same.

(b.) the optical does not bother me as I will be primarily building java games, using Final Cut Pro X, and browsing reddit.

As much as you try, you will not be able to convince me to get a lower-end model for several reasons, mainly because I am ready to throw my MacBook Air with 2 GB of RAM out the window due to it's un-reliance when it comes to multitasking.

My local apple store is selling the model I want at a $100 discount, which isn't that much, but is still money.

So anyway, the iMac is shipping in December which is long enough anyway, and Big Tim himself announced the shortages of these new 'friction stir welded' computers. Also, when apple says it will be available in any certain month, it's usually in the last week of it. Say they somehow let me preorder a few days before christmas, and then start shipping a week after that. We're already in January then, not to mention the time it will take them to assemble it and get it to my house. As you can see, I'm getting rather impatient.

What do I do. Should I just meditate once a day to get that beautiful piece of equipment out of my mind and get the new model when I can, or get over with it and grab it at the apple store today?

Thanks everyone, I hope you can help me make the right choice.

-Aidan

I'd just wait it out, especially when the machine is such an improvement over the last one.

Order the highest end model when it is released and upgrade any components (Not the RAM, buy them RAM separately).

The newer one will retain its higher value for a lot longer if you ever want to sell it, and the hardware, especially graphics, are significantly better than the previous model.
mac.ross is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Apple fanboy
macrumors 68040
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Been waiting since February to ditch windows. January isn't that long now. Have a beer and cherlax!
__________________
Late 2012 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5, ITB FD, 16G RAM, 2 TB TimeCapsule, iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32G, iPad 4 32G, iPad 2 16G, ATV2, iPod touch 4th gen 8G, Xbox 360. Nikon D7100,18-55mm, 70-300mm VR lenses
Apple fanboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:41 PM   #4
forty2j
macrumors 68030
 
forty2j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
If it's boosted video card you want, then wait you should do.
__________________
 2012 iMac 3.2GHz 27" 680MX Fusion  iPhone 5  Apple TV 2  iPad 2 
forty2j is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
aidancbrady
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your responses. Guess I'm waiting!

-Aidan
aidancbrady is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:04 PM   #6
goodlittlesquid
Guest
 
Yeah, for those of us here who've been waiting 8+ months (myself included) Waiting another ~60 days is a no-brainer.

Especially considering the last release has been around about twice as long as it should have (just look at the refresh dates on the MacRumors buyer's guide) your 2011 iMac is going to start feeling really old really fast.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:11 AM   #7
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Waiting

I have a rMBP, an Ipad3 and a Mini, but my desktop is a Windows. I want to transition to an Imac, but even though the prices are attractive now, I am worried that the current design has built in thermal issues that will shorten it's life. I have a Super Drive, so the new Imac will work, I think......I wonder if the new super thin design will also have long term thermal issues. I guess time will tell.
jimbo1mcm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:27 AM   #8
blanka
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Go grab a quad Mini today. It is faster than any on-the-shelve iMac, and is in stores RIGHT NOW.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:36 AM   #9
thatpoopmccray
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
i couldnt wait, i just went out and bought it.
thatpoopmccray is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC