Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
jafingi
macrumors 65816

Thumbs up From iPad 2 --> iPad Mini

I was at the shopping mall today, and in front of one of the stores, I saw a big banner with "We have the new iPad Mini". So I just wanted to try it in the store, but the moment I had it in my hand, I was totally sold!

So... I got the last iPad Mini in store (16GB WiFi).. I can't really describe the feeling.. There's something about the Mini that just feels so right.

My iPad 2 feels heavy, thick and big, after having played with the Mini for an hour and going back to the iPad 2 I almost dropped it as it was heavier than I had thought

The screen of the Mini is definitely better than my iPad 2. They both have the "cold" screen which I prefer the most, but the brightness of the Mini's screen is far better than my iPad 2 - white is more white!

When the iPad 3 came out, and I compared it to iPad 2, I didn't think the screens were so different (retina vs. non-retina) - definitely not worth the pricey upgrade. The Mini comes just in between. I would almost call it retina. Text looks super crisp!

So now I'm just waiting for my red SmartCover.. Apple has screwed up with the Danish launch, so no of the shops have gotten any SmartCovers, but they should arrive early next week. So no need for waiting a week on shipping from the Apple Store

It's so nice that you can hold the Mini in one hand, and control it with the other. A thing that was hard with the iPad 2.

This simply makes Android tablets (e.g. Nexus 7) look totally cheap and awkward to use.

Well done !
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502

I got the iPad 2 as well and knowing the screen on Mini is the same is really no biggie. The retina compared to iPad 2 really wasn't worth the upgrade for me. A lot of people complaints about the Mini's display being poor and what not, but it's actually great. I haven't bough one (yet) since I already got an iPad, but used one in a store yesterday and it felt great!
Lukewarmwinner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:12 AM   #3
johnparjr
macrumors 6502

I went from a 3 to a Mini and I really like the Mini
johnparjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Poochi
macrumors 6502

After seeing the mini, on display iPad 4 looks old... Thick and ugly bezel.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:43 AM   #5
jarofclay73
macrumors regular

The iPad Mini is definitely light -- almost like a piece of cardboard. Still love my iPad 3 though.
Apple TV (3rd gen.)
jarofclay73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:44 AM   #6
glen e
macrumors 68030

Keep reading here and even it's ok now, you'll hate it tomorrow and curse apple for making you buy it....LOL
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:47 AM   #7
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Keep reading here and even it's ok now, you'll hate it tomorrow and curse apple for making you buy it....LOL
LOL!!!!! Yeah, in an hour or so you won't even be able to read text on it anymore.....
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:54 AM   #8
iSingandiDance
Banned

Yea I never picked up the 3 because I was waiting for some smaller, more compact for my commuting life. Not being accustomed to the retina screen is definitely a plus.

Now whether to keep the AT&T preorder or swap it out for the Verizon.
iSingandiDance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:40 PM   #9
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
LOL!!!!! Yeah, in an hour or so you won't even be able to read text on it anymore.....
It's worse than that, it causes sudden blindness to some who use it, just read the various threads on here. These poor people were duped into buying it without having tried it in store, took it home and lo' and behold, blindness took effect when they tried reading a few web pages.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:18 AM   #10
jafingi
macrumors 65816

By the way.. Does anyone know why Apple has shifted the mute/up/down buttons to the right instead of the left?

Edit:

Maybe because you'll be holding it in your left hand?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:28 AM   #11
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafingi View Post
By the way.. Does anyone know why Apple has shifted the mute/up/down buttons to the right instead of the left?

Edit:

The smart cover attaches to the left side so it opens up like a book right to left.
GrandPhrase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPhrase View Post
The smart cover attaches to the left side so it opens up like a book right to left.
That's a skeuomorphism! Must be changed!
kas23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:01 AM   #13
jafingi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPhrase View Post
Damn yeah! Haven't thought about the smart cover hinge being to large for the buttons to be there..
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:02 AM   #14
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
I was at the shopping mall today, and in front of one of the stores, I saw a big banner with "We have the new iPad Mini". So I just wanted to try it in the store, but the moment I had it in my hand, I was totally sold!

So... I got the last iPad Mini in store (16GB WiFi).. I can't really describe the feeling.. There's something about the Mini that just feels so right.

My iPad 2 feels heavy, thick and big, after having played with the Mini for an hour and going back to the iPad 2 I almost dropped it as it was heavier than I had thought

The screen of the Mini is definitely better than my iPad 2. They both have the "cold" screen which I prefer the most, but the brightness of the Mini's screen is far better than my iPad 2 - white is more white!

When the iPad 3 came out, and I compared it to iPad 2, I didn't think the screens were so different (retina vs. non-retina) - definitely not worth the pricey upgrade. The Mini comes just in between. I would almost call it retina. Text looks super crisp!

So now I'm just waiting for my red SmartCover.. Apple has screwed up with the Danish launch, so no of the shops have gotten any SmartCovers, but they should arrive early next week. So no need for waiting a week on shipping from the Apple Store

It's so nice that you can hold the Mini in one hand, and control it with the other. A thing that was hard with the iPad 2.

This simply makes Android tablets (e.g. Nexus 7) look totally cheap and awkward to use.

Well done !
My sentiments, exactly. Ditto for me
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:07 AM   #15
ifraaank
macrumors member

Quote:
I know that they have the SmartCovers in Eplehuset in Esbjerg. Were in the store at launch date, and they had all of the colors.

Quite nice to see other people from Denmark in here.
 iPhone 5, Black and Slate, 32GB
ifraaank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:15 AM   #16
N0ddie
macrumors regular

The mini is definitely a considerable step up from our old iPad 2.

Battery is also awesome. 4 hours use and 13% drop.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:39 AM   #17
johnothy
macrumors regular

I bought the iPad Mini but I still really like my iPad 2 with 3G. I guess I'm just more used to it since I've had it awhile. I'm still debating whether or not I'll keep the Mini.
 iPhone 5|  iPad Air|  TV |  iPod
johnothy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:40 AM   #18
thenumbersrbad
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Edit:

Hasn't the mute and volume always been on the right? Or at least starting with iPad 2?
thenumbersrbad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Sweeperdk
macrumors member

Quote:

Just a tip, being danish with a new iPad Mini myself.... Eplehuset (at least in Aarhus) have plenty of smart covers... I got the red one myself on friday.

Other than that, I can nothing but agree in your review.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:23 AM   #20
nospleen
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to nospleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
The mini is definitely a considerable step up from our old iPad 2.

Battery is also awesome. 4 hours use and 13% drop.
What brightness are you setting your display at? Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:45 AM   #21
N0ddie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospleen View Post
What brightness are you setting your display at? Thanks!
I've got it at its "dullest" setting but still find it very good.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
that's a skeuomorphism! Must be changed!
Lmaoo
GrandPhrase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:03 PM   #23
jafingi
macrumors 65816

On full brightness:

Use: 1 hour 20 min
Standby: 6 hours 38 min

89% left love it!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifraaank View Post
I know that they have the SmartCovers in Eplehuset in Esbjerg. Were in the store at launch date, and they had all of the colors.

Quite nice to see other people from Denmark in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeperdk View Post
Just a tip, being danish with a new iPad Mini myself.... Eplehuset (at least in Aarhus) have plenty of smart covers... I got the red one myself on friday.

Other than that, I can nothing but agree in your review.
Eplehuset must have been lucky. Tried Humac, Fona, Elgiganten and Expert. No smart covers. Unfortunately we don't have Eplehuset in Odense

Last edited by jafingi; Nov 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
jafingi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:01 PM   #24
ifraaank
macrumors member

Quote:
Eplehuset must have been lucky. Tried Humac, Fona, Elgiganten and Expert. No smart covers. Unfortunately we don't have Eplehuset in Odense
Oh well...

Still considering an iPad mini or an iPad 4. Currently having an iPad 2. I would like to upgrade.. Which "upgrade" do you prefer? :-)
 iPhone 5, Black and Slate, 32GB
ifraaank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:07 PM   #25
Sweeperdk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifraaank View Post
Oh well...

Still considering an iPad mini or an iPad 4. Currently having an iPad 2. I would like to upgrade.. Which "upgrade" do you prefer? :-)
For me personally, the iPad Mini...

This is due to the formfactor, but also due to my personal needs... I don't game much, I use it for social media, news and so on.

The regular sized iPad I sold due to the fact that it didn't suit me... I purchased it to bring it with me everywhere, however I found myself grabbing my MBA instead, since the size was not that much bigger...

The Mini, on the other hand, fits in my coat pocket

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad