Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Gold3nrul3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iPhone 5 turn off 3G only, NOT LTE?

Hello I am trying to find out if it's possible to turn off the 3G radio and not the LTE radio because at my desk my phone automatically switches over to 3G even though I get an LTE signal of about one or two bars which are good enough to have a perfect connection. If I walk to one end of the room I get four bars of LTE but then when I go back to my desk it slowly drops until I have one or two bars at my desk which is still a good enough signal. I don't know if there's a way I can manually enter the network profile for the 3G to disable it or I might have to jailbreak the phone or it's just not possible.
Gold3nrul3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Nope, no option, you can disable LTE but not 3G.

If you're phone is unable to keep a lock on LTE, then its probably best to disable LTE so it doesn't try to keep locking into a tower.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Gold3nrul3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Why would it be best? It does get a lock just prioritizes a stronger 3G signal... I know there is no easy way to find this answer but historically does jailbreaking iOS give access to radio control?
Gold3nrul3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Why would you want to turn off 3G anyway? 2G is slow and it probably means the 3G signal is faster than the LTE signal.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Gold3nrul3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
So that the phone is forced to use the LTE radio not the 3G...
Gold3nrul3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:17 PM   #6
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold3nrul3 View Post
So that the phone is forced to use the LTE radio not the 3G...
It's not a good idea to use it on 1 or 2 bars of LTE. And the phone probably can't keep a lock on the signal, it also destroys the battery life.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Gold3nrul3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'm sitting at my desk, it can't keep a lock because its prioritizing the 3G....AFAIK. Battery is np I have it plugged in
Gold3nrul3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bath, UK.
I don't think it's needed really. Mine will stay locked on to LTE all the way down to a displayed zero bars... but still speedtested at 8/17meg while at zero bars!
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB on 4GEE
iPad 3G+WiFi 64GB
13" MacBook Air (2.13GHz, 4GB, 256GB) - 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GB)
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:50 PM   #9
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold3nrul3 View Post
I'm sitting at my desk, it can't keep a lock because its prioritizing the 3G....AFAIK. Battery is np I have it plugged in
Well you can't turn off 3G since it's on the same chip now. So you'll just have to live with things loading 3 seconds slower
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
cngrevolution
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Well you can't turn off 3G since it's on the same chip now. So you'll just have to live with things loading 3 seconds slower
Hmm. Why would it matter if they are on the same chip? You can turn off the LTE what's the difference of turning off the 3G? I would love to have that option. I'm hoping maybe a jailbreak will make that option possible.
cngrevolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:49 PM   #11
justyou
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
When do u guys think we gonna have a jailbreak?


look at that: http://ecosimply.blogspot.com/2012/0...charts-to.html
justyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:50 PM   #12
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cngrevolution View Post
Hmm. Why would it matter if they are on the same chip? You can turn off the LTE what's the difference of turning off the 3G? I would love to have that option. I'm hoping maybe a jailbreak will make that option possible.
there's no dedicated 3G chip. So basically you're stuck on LTE, unless your area/country doesn't have LTE yet, it's pretty much carrier setting based. and if you really hate the 3G that bad then it's up to you, the device automatically switches to 2G when connecting to LTE
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:06 PM   #13
cngrevolution
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
there's no dedicated 3G chip. So basically you're stuck on LTE, unless your area/country doesn't have LTE
yet, it's pretty much carrier setting based. and if you really hate the 3G that bad then it's up to you, the device automatically switches to 2G when connecting to LTE
I guess what I am saying is since all the radios are on one chip then it should be nothing more than a software switch to turn off LTE or 3G. Either one should make no difference. I guess just a matter of the carriers allowing it or a developer writing a app for that.
cngrevolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:16 PM   #14
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cngrevolution View Post
I guess what I am saying is since all the radios are on one chip then it should be nothing more than a software switch to turn off LTE or 3G. Either one should make no difference. I guess just a matter of the carriers allowing it or a developer writing a app for that.
I don't really see the problem though. It couldn't get a consistent LTE signal so it switched to a stronger 3G signal. I wouldn't want to turn off 3G when carriers are shutting down 2G networks and when LTE turns off 3G anyway
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:49 PM   #15
stonyboys
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I'm thinking if no phone ever in history allowed the option to turn 3G off but leave LTE on, then there is an impossibility in the way cell towers work, ie LTE relies on 3G somehow.

Also have you speedtested it? I was near downtown which is where the only 2 LTE towers in the city are, and the speed I got was as fast as the 3 bar 3G speed I get at my house.
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold3nrul3 View Post
So that the phone is forced to use the LTE radio not the 3G...
If lte doesn't get good signal then it stays on 3G.
Lte doesn't do calls, just data btw.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:33 PM   #17
Redsew
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
This may not be helpful but the iPhone 5 has a 3G capability??? I thought it only had 4g lte since the new iPad only allows 4g... This is surprising... I want the iPhone 5 now lol....
Redsew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:55 PM   #18
Gold3nrul3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I at least want the option... if the LTE ends up being spotty and worse than the 3g then I would swap back but I am pretty sure that a really low LTE signal is still better than a 100 times slower 3g signal...
Gold3nrul3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Myiphone7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold3nrul3 View Post
Hello I am trying to find out if it's possible to turn off the 3G radio and not the LTE radio because at my desk my phone automatically switches over to 3G even though I get an LTE signal of about one or two bars which are good enough to have a perfect connection. If I walk to one end of the room I get four bars of LTE but then when I go back to my desk it slowly drops until I have one or two bars at my desk which is still a good enough signal. I don't know if there's a way I can manually enter the network profile for the 3G to disable it or I might have to jailbreak the phone or it's just not possible.
I don't think this can be done. Maybe a jailbreak tweak will be available. In fact I am certain their will be because there was an app that let you turn off edge only on jailbroken 4's
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:20 PM   #20
hNicolas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsew View Post
This may not be helpful but the iPhone 5 has a 3G capability??? I thought it only had 4g lte since the new iPad only allows 4g... This is surprising... I want the iPhone 5 now lol....
All iPads fall back to 3G when 4G or LTE signals are weak.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold3nrul3 View Post
I at least want the option... if the LTE ends up being spotty and worse than the 3g then I would swap back but I am pretty sure that a really low LTE signal is still better than a 100 times slower 3g signal...
I would love to have that option too. I have 2 bars LTE at home and get 25-30 Mbs downloads. And it often switches to 3 bars 3G, at 8 Mbs downloads. I don't understand why it switches like that. I have never seen 0 bar LTE, but I'm sure it would still be faster than my 3G.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB - iPhone 4S 32GB - 24" iMac 2.8 GHz - iPad LTE 32GB - iPhone 3GS - iPhone 3G - iPod Touch - Mac Mini 09
hNicolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 04:48 AM   #21
SlickYagami
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Right here
Sorry for reviving this old thread. I would really appreciate it if someone could develop a hack to disable 3G only so I can fully enjoy LTE in my area. I'm on Sprint, so I'm sure many would understand my position - suffering sub 1 Mbps speed just because 3G has one bar stronger signal than LTE. It's that way for the whole city which has several known LTE towers. I don't know of any jailbreak tweak that can solve this issue.
SlickYagami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 05:24 AM   #22
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickYagami View Post
Sorry for reviving this old thread. I would really appreciate it if someone could develop a hack to disable 3G only so I can fully enjoy LTE in my area. I'm on Sprint, so I'm sure many would understand my position - suffering sub 1 Mbps speed just because 3G has one bar stronger signal than LTE. It's that way for the whole city which has several known LTE towers. I don't know of any jailbreak tweak that can solve this issue.
You can either move to a different carrier or wait it out till sprint gets more LTE up.
osofast240sx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 07:03 AM   #23
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
where is the desk?
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 11:23 AM   #24
SlickYagami
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Right here
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
You can either move to a different carrier or wait it out till sprint gets more LTE up.
I'm actually wanting to ditch Sprint in favor of T-Mobile. Just the ETF is the problem, and I'm in a family plan so $600-$700. Guess I could try to complain to them about the spotty LTE and 3G as I lose signal sometimes.
SlickYagami is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do you turn off LTE? jedi74 iPhone 2 Jan 14, 2013 08:15 PM
No Option to turn off LTE Koratinus iPhone 11 Dec 15, 2012 09:09 PM
Turn off both LTE and 3G dasx iPhone 13 Oct 13, 2012 12:27 PM
How much LTE data used with turn by turn GPS? wmitch iPhone 5 Sep 28, 2012 03:29 PM
Turn off LTE? petrucci666 iPhone 30 Sep 17, 2012 09:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC