Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
TJ5921
macrumors regular

iPad 4 isn't worth it

The big chip and retina screen are great but it's TOO heavy. I went to an apple store and tried it for five minutes so I can definitively say it's no good. Mini or go home.
TJ5921 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Depends what you use it for. Mine stays at home, so the weight is perfect
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

1.4 lbs is too heavy?
ugahairydawgs is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:29 PM   #4
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5921 View Post
The big chip and retina screen are great but its TOO heavy. I went to an apple store and tried it for five minutes so I can definitively say it's no good. Mini or go home.
All depends on if you are on the go. Have a 4 for use around the house and a mini for music in the car and take with you on the go.
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Don Kosak
macrumors 6502a

For web browsing and reading books I agree 100%.

If you use the iPad as a laptop replacement, then the 4 looks pretty good. I upgraded from iPad 2 to the 4th gen model. After a day of working with it, and putting it through its paces, it's a pretty substantial upgrade. Very fast, very sharp screen.

Haven't noticed the weight as much as I thought I would. Missing VGA/HDMI out -- but I have cables on order and expect them in a couple weeks. (iPad Mini has same problem with some accessories and cables -- both use lightning connector.)
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:32 PM   #6
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
The big chip and retina screen are great but it's TOO heavy. I went to an apple store and tried it for five minutes so I can definitively say it's no good. Mini or go home.
Sometimes Apple likes heavy iDevices. Like the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Other times they don't... you never know.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Art1stic
macrumors newbie

I was thinking about returning the mini and getting the 4, however the more I use this thing the more I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Non retina isn't a really big issue to me. I love the size of this thing.

I still have 14 days still gonna give it a test run.

So far though using the mini is such a wonderful experience!
Art1stic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:35 PM   #8
kalt
macrumors regular

It's no heavier than my ipad 3. Not that I can tell. A gram or two is de minimis.

If you have an iPad 3, I'd agree it's not worth upgrading. The only reason I upgraded was b/c I screwed up getting the 32g iPad 3, I've been running out of space deleting stuff for the past 3 months, and have regretted not getting the 64gig iPad. So I splurged a bit and got the new 64gb iPad 4. It is faster, and the wifi is faster too (that I do appreciate). Couldn't give a crap about the new lightning adapter. The color saturation/hue is better on my iPad 4 screen, but I'd never have known the iPad 3 had such a blue/cold hue to it without holding it up next to the iPad 4.

The iPad Mini is just dumb, it's like a big iPhone with crappy resolution that doesn't make phone calls. If it cost $79.99 I'd agree it would be worth it (though I still wouldn't get one, no need for it). I think that's about what it should cost, given the non-retina display.

I never work out, and my arms have never gotten tired or sore from holding an ipad. Plus who sits there literally "holding" it. You prop it up on something, whether it's your lap, a desk, etc. I like to lay on my couch with the bottom resting on my chest. The new scrolling function of iBooks 3.0 is something I've wanted for a long time for this purpose (don't have to move my eyes up and down).

Unless you're a 16 year old girl who needs to have the "cute" iPad (with a pink glittery case), you have no justification to get an iPad Mini over an ipad 3 or 4.
kalt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
TJ5921
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalt View Post
It's no heavier than my ipad 3. Not that I can tell. A gram or two is de minimis.

If you have an iPad 3, I'd agree it's not worth upgrading. The only reason I upgraded was b/c I screwed up getting the 32g iPad 3, I've been running out of space deleting stuff for the past 3 months, and have regretted not getting the 64gig iPad. So I splurged a bit and got the new 64gb iPad 4. It is faster, and the wifi is faster too (that I do appreciate). Couldn't give a crap about the new lightning adapter. The color saturation/hue is better on my iPad 4 screen, but I'd never have known the iPad 3 had such a blue/cold hue to it without holding it up next to the iPad 4.

The iPad Mini is just dumb, it's like a big iPhone with crappy resolution that doesn't make phone calls. If it cost $79.99 I'd agree it would be worth it (though I still wouldn't get one, no need for it). I think that's about what it should cost, given the non-retina display.

I never work out, and my arms have never gotten tired or sore from holding an ipad. Plus who sits there literally "holding" it. You prop it up on something, whether it's your lap, a desk, etc. I like to lay on my couch with the bottom resting on my chest. The new scrolling function of iBooks 3.0 is something I've wanted for a long time for this purpose (don't have to move my eyes up and down).

Unless you're a 16 year old girl who needs to have the "cute" iPad (with a pink glittery case), you have no justification to get an iPad Mini over an ipad 3 or 4.

iPad 3 is also too heavy. The mini is perfect form factor. Those who buy the iPad 3 or 4 will be upset when they redesign the form to look slimmer, lighter, and sexier like the mini next year.
TJ5921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Pared
macrumors 65816

Bunch of weaklings up in here.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:49 PM   #11
glen e
macrumors 68030

I traveled about 25,000 miles around the country with the 3...the weight is fine...I love these "decrees" here that something is "no good"...after 5 min in the store...

for you maybe...but not for others...

Last edited by glen e; Nov 3, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
glen e is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:53 PM   #12
antwormcity
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I will share my experience on a similar note

I played with both devices back to back in store yesterday.

I walked into the store and started with mini. Very impressed. Light, nice screen, I could work on it all day if I need to. Did not feel like any of the iOS experience was compromised, beautifully built. Loved how slim it is and easy to hold. Then heard some couple walk into the store and say, its just like Kindle size.

Quick Test: Viewed Photos, watched brief videos, browsed some news websites on Safari (smaller text is plenty on these sites). Then briefly read a page or two of some sample book on 'Moon' in iBooks. Overall I thought I was sold at this moment, I might be picking it up in the next few minutes. Then I went onto the iPad Gen 4.

First thing, felt like a brick, way heavier, as if I would not hold it for too long and found myself putting it down a lot while holding in one hand, navigating. Repeated the same things, did not really notice too much of a difference in photos, videos. Reading was a bit easier, and this one had some graphics in the sample/demo books too. 'Paper' was no much nicer to use on the bigger screen. Browsing was excellent, with smaller text being very crisp on CNN/BBC websites on Safari. I got used to the weight pretty quickly, was no biggie, felt solid in hands.

Not convinced and still confused I went back to the mini. Voila, world of difference 'suddenly'. Noticed now that the smaller text on the browser was not crisp enough for the news websites anymore, could easily tell the pixels apart. (I could always zoom in a bit if needed). The screen felt somewhat of lesser quality suddenly, which I had not noticed the first time I was playing with the device. Blame it on short term adaptation to the retina display.

Decision was made, reading books and smaller text during web browsing was much nicer on the Retina iPad.

Did some quick calculations, $180 difference in the price, iPad mini vs iPad 4, for same capacity, much better performance, and better aging with evolving apps and iOS, iPad 4 was going to be the choice. I am planning to keep my device for about 2 years at least. I do not travel that much, so portability is not a huge issue, and I quite like the real estate on the retina iPad.

Final thoughts: iPad Mini is an excellent device, but may be not for me.

I walked out of the store with a 32GB wifi-only iPad 4 in the silky/satin Apple shopping bag.

Last edited by antwormcity; Nov 3, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
antwormcity is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a

Calling the iPad mini dumb is really dumb. Saying you see no need for it is one thing but dumb it is not. The non retina display is not that bad and overall the device is optimized and pretty quick. I will be using it in my car for music and for taking with me on road trips where lugging around a larger iPad is just not as convenient. There is clearly a market for both depending on your use.

I purchased an iPad 4 too, but have not decided rather I am keeping it. Display is beautiful and it is fast. I have 14 days to determine if it has a place. The iPad mini is a keeper already.

So the only thing dumb about the iPad mini is calling it dumb.
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:59 PM   #14
aneftp
macrumors 68030

I use my iPad 3 and now my new iPad 4. Both have Griffith military cases on to protect iPad from 2 year old toddler abuse.

The weight doesn't bother me even with the heavy duty case on. I am typing on it right now.

I returned my iPad mini 16GB unopened to the store 2 hours ago. Can't believe 5 people immediately saw me walking into apple store and asked if they condo get my iPad mini. Not sure how apple retail store will resell my unopened mini. But guess someone will go home happy tonight with the mini.

I am happy with both my iPad 3 and now iPad 4.

May consider 2nd generation iPad mini. But I am passing on the first gen. I have owned both Nexus 7 and Playbook so familiar with 7 inch form factor. Yes. I played with iPad mini in the store. It's a little but larger screen.

But at end of the day. I prefer speed and size of screen (also retina helps!) over something smaller and slower.

To each their own.

It is a little more comfortable typing on iPad mini than iPad 2/3/4. But I don't type that much to make a difference
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:00 PM   #15
HabSonic
macrumors regular

Quote:
iPad 3 is also too heavy. The mini is perfect form factor. Those who buy the iPad 3 or 4 will be upset when they redesign the form to look slimmer, lighter, and sexier like the mini next year.
And people who buy the Mini will be upset in 2 years when their iPad will not be supported anymore because of the old A5 chips. Sigh..
HabSonic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:00 PM   #16
Noisemaker

Quote:
I went to an apple store and tried it for five minutes so I can definitively say it's no good.
It's ok, guys. The ultimate authority has spoken. He tried it for five whole minutes.
Noisemaker is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:11 PM   #17
TJ5921
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabSonic View Post
And people who buy the Mini will be upset in 2 years when their iPad will not be supported anymore because of the old A5 chips. Sigh..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisemaker View Post
It's ok, guys. The ultimate authority has spoken. He tried it for five whole minutes.
These are just the responses I was hoping for. Got a little tired of seeing thread after thread of ppl bashing the mini who messed with it in the apple store for a couple minutes and assumed it was a dealbreaker cause of ONLY the screen resolution. Just showing the otherside of the coin here come next year the 4's will be just as outdated as the mini. Total re-design.
TJ5921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Awakener
macrumors 6502

It is interesting how people have changed with technology. Remember reading and carrying books larger, heavier than iPad? Don't recall people worrying and complaining much about it!
Awakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Noisemaker

Quote:
These are just the responses I was hoping for. Got a little tired of seeing thread after thread of ppl bashing the mini who messed with it in the apple store for a couple minutes and assumed it was a dealbreaker cause of ONLY the screen resolution. Just showing the otherside of the coin here come next year the 4's will be just as outdated as the mini. Total re-design.
Well, I happen to be one of the people who bought the Mini and thinks the screen is just fine. I also bought the 4, and find the weight to be acceptable for the benefits of retina and the A6X.

Interesting reversal you did though. It certainly proves a point.
Noisemaker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:18 PM   #20
HabSonic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yep. Not a good time to buy an iPad (Mini or full size) imo, even if I bought one.
HabSonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Bokes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalt View Post

This.
Girls want the mini.
Real men will almost always take the slightly larger- MUCH better v4
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:22 PM   #22
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

This is EXACTLY what happened when I opened mine that I had preordered. The screen is gorgeous, and it's snappy, but that weight...

And to all the rude commenters, no not only girls want the mini. You sound ignorant.
joshwithachance is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:34 PM   #23
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No we'll just sell the 4 (or 3) and buy the new model, but in the interim, enjoy the heck out of it

Yeah, I mean I agree, I'd LOVE for the larger iPad to be much lighter, it's almost enough to drive to the Mini, but I'm just in love with the higher PPI display, and this 4th gen performance is fantastic.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:59 PM   #24
Ih8reno
macrumors 6502

I agree it's a waste of a 1 gen upgrade, but 2-4 is a great upgrade. However from the look of the iPhone 5 and iPad mini Id wager that a completely redesigned 5 is coming next year.
Ih8reno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:57 PM   #25
kalt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokes View Post
This.
Girls want the mini.
Real men will almost always take the slightly larger- MUCH better v4
I don't even see it as a "manly" thing. It's just one device is far superior in every way to the other. And the other is cuter. It would be a totally different story if the iPad mini had a retina display and A6X processor and cost $100 less than the full-size iPad. Then I could see a realistic debate.

But that's not the case. So if you want a small iDevice to fit in your pocket, that's what the iPhone is for (and you can make phone calls on it unlike with the iPad mini).

The only legitimate market for the iPad Mini is 16 year old girls. And not the smart ones who could stand to lose 20 pounds. I'm talking about the hot, bitchy, annoying ones with chihuahuas and little $2500 Kate Spade handbags. The iPad Mini will fit into one of those little purses perfectly. And whichever girl has the most expensive, shiniest, glitteriest pink Prada case for her iPad Mini will be the most popular among her peers - guaranteed head cheerleader and homecoming queen. I completely understand that. More power to her. Her parents would be horrible people if they didn't immediately buy her one.

But if you're not a 16 year old girl, and if you don't have a little $2k+ Kade Spade handbag in which to keep it, then you have no reason to get the iPad mini.

Lighter? We're talking 3/4 of a pound! That's it! You're bitching over 3/4 of a pound. That's practically the exact weight of a can of soda or beer. I bet everyone here has no problem lifting cans of beer up to their face every day. That's the weight difference between an iPad mini and an iPad 4. And you know what's even lighter than an iPad mini? An iPhone. It's cuter too.
kalt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad