Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
expy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Think the mini has a low PPI? Calculate your Desktop here.

While contemplating the purchase of a iPad mini the only thing that has been holding me back was the non retina display (163 ppi). I have a iPhone 5 (326 ppi) and iPad 3 (264 ppi) so I am spoiled with their great displays. My desktop computer has two Dell 24" 1080p monitors which I have always thought looked nice but guess what, by going to http://www.thirdculture.com/joel/shu...e/ppicalc.html I found out they were only 91 ppi. I now have renewed interest in the mini. Not saying I'm out the door to buy a mini but I now think its worth my time to go have a look.
expy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816
 
joshwithachance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
My 15-inch MacBook Pro has a PPI of only 110
joshwithachance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
supertomtom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Might also want to consider the viewing distance and the size of the font you'll be frequently viewing as well...
supertomtom is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Please remember this if any of the competition releases non "Retina" displays.

I seem to recall many people criticizing the competition whenever a non Retina display device was released. Where were all these excuses to justify the purchase? I keep reading "you can't see the pixels if you don't look at the iPad Mini up close." Why doesn't' this logic apply and excuse other non-retina displays?

If you want the iPad Mini, no one is stopping you. It's just odd you have to go through such lengths to justify the purchase. Makes you think...
onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:42 PM   #5
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
While contemplating the purchase of a iPad mini the only thing that has been holding me back was the non retina display (163 ppi). I have a iPhone 5 (326 ppi) and iPad 3 (264 ppi) so I am spoiled with their great displays. My desktop computer has two Dell 24" 1080p monitors which I have always thought looked nice but guess what, by going to http://www.thirdculture.com/joel/shu...e/ppicalc.html I found out they were only 91 ppi. I now have renewed interest in the mini. Not saying I'm out the door to buy a mini but I now think its worth my time to go have a look.
Steve Jobs told me I needed retina on my iPhone 4. If he said it, I believe it.

You will be singing praises when the iPad mini 2 with RD comes out. Trust me.




Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom View Post
Might also want to consider the viewing distance and the size of the font you'll be frequently viewing as well...
+100000.
53x12 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
My 15.6" HP laptop: 100.45 ppi
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:06 PM   #7
expy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I did not intend for this thread to be another mini screen resolution debate. I just found it interesting that the typical HD Desktop monitor has such a low ppi and most find them quite acceptable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom
Might also want to consider the viewing distance and the size of the font you'll be frequently viewing as well...
I sit pretty close to my desktop screen but definitely not closer than I would hold the mini so point well made.
expy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Why doesn't' this logic apply and excuse other non-retina displays?
It does. You keep bringing this up in unrelated threads as some perceived slight by an unidentified group of people.
Quote:
If you want the iPad Mini, no one is stopping you. It's just odd you have to go through such lengths to justify the purchase. Makes you think...
It makes you think about what the investment is for people who think the purchase needs to be justified in the first place, going to such lengths to point out a known quantity everywhere they can, as though everyone else must be missing something. It shouldn't be hard to accept that one number isn't everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
You will be singing praises when the iPad mini 2 with RD comes out. Trust me.
No doubt, as I will on that glorious day in the future when I can get a 250ppi display in a 27-32" size. It's not going to prevent me from enjoying anything in the mean time, though.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Lara F
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by expy View Post
I sit pretty close to my desktop screen but definitely not closer than I would hold the mini so point well made.
Yes, the greater distance is exactly why the lower PPI of laptops is less of an issue than on tablets.

I've always had a bad habit of reading too close, be it paper or screens. No coincidence then that I'm one of those especially disappointed at the lack of retina. I'm wondering now if the Mini would actually help break me of that.
Lara F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Nikos
macrumors 65816
 
Nikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
It still looks terrible in comparison to every other screen I own during real world use.
__________________
15" Retina MacBook Pro | iPhone 5 64GB Black | New iPad 64GB | 23" Cinema Display |
Nikos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:34 PM   #11
a3vr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
220 ppi
a3vr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:39 PM   #12
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
It still looks terrible in comparison to every other screen I own during real world use.
iPad Mini screen looks much better than my Acer iconia 7" tablet I bought last year. The Acer screen isn't even IPS and has very poor viewing angle.

iPad Mini screen looks much better than my PC laptop screens.
iPad Mini screen looks better than my MacBook Pro screen.

Most of my screens aren't IPS. I have 3 monitors that are IPS. The other 7 monitors I have aren't.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:44 PM   #13
KBS756
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
17 inch Macbook Pro 136 ppi

Man I want a retina 17 ....

Still buying an iPad mini for my mom though she needs it for work since her laptop is killin her (weight/back problems) and what she does can be done from an ipad mini

Honestly my 14 year old brother has an iPad 1 so I dont see why everyone is going nuts over the resolution density since the iPad 1 isnt bad and the Mini is better
__________________
27" + 24" LED ACD; 2 x 3.33GHz X5680 Mac Pro, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB Samsung 830 SSD ,EVGA Geforce Titan Super-clocked; Early 2013 2.8Ghz 15in Retina Macbook Pro 16GB Ram 756GB
KBS756 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:48 PM   #14
osofast240sx
macrumors 68010
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
It still looks terrible in comparison to every other screen I own during real world use.
Even your 23" cinema display?whats the pip on that display?
The thunderbolt display has a ppi of 109 vs the mini's 163
__________________
iPhone 5s 64Gb T-mobile Gold13" MacBookPro BaseiPad air, ATV3Airport ExpressiPhone 5, 64Gb, black(wife)iPad mini(wife)
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:51 PM   #15
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3vr View Post
220 ppi
Same!
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:57 PM   #16
expy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3vr View Post
220 ppi
Nice!
expy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:06 PM   #17
KBS756
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I have a hard time believing that the Mini will look any worse than most of the God Awful PC screens I have seen. Personally I use a mac exclusively but for business use we buy PCs because they are cost effective and I cant find a decent display with decent pixel density on any of the laptops we end up buying. The mini has to look better than that so for all intents and purposes it should be a good enough display. Should it have been retina probably? sure but does not being retina kill it? the biggest problem should be their refusal to drop the margin between sizes 16 - 32 - 64 to being 50 dollar increments at once
__________________
27" + 24" LED ACD; 2 x 3.33GHz X5680 Mac Pro, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB Samsung 830 SSD ,EVGA Geforce Titan Super-clocked; Early 2013 2.8Ghz 15in Retina Macbook Pro 16GB Ram 756GB
KBS756 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:11 PM   #18
scupking
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
My 27" monitor I'm using right now only has 81.59 PPI and my new 55" TV has 40.05 PPI
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro 13"
iPad rMini (black, 32GB wifi)
scupking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:13 PM   #19
expy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
My 27" monitor I'm using right now only has 81.59 PPI and my new 55" TV has 40.05 PPI
I knew better than to calculate my Big Screen TV! Ignorance is bliss (in this case). Of course I don't tend to sit very close to the tube to notice the low ppi.
expy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:15 PM   #20
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
My 27" monitor I'm using right now only has 81.59 PPI and my new 55" TV has 40.05 PPI
I can actually see pixels on my 50" TV sitting 10 feet away.

Then again, it's only 720p.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:17 PM   #21
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
Even your 23" cinema display?whats the pip on that display?
The thunderbolt display has a ppi of 109 vs the mini's 163

How close is your face to your computer screen vs. how close is your face to your tablet when being held in your hands. The answer to the conundrum lies there.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:19 PM   #22
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
How close is your face to your computer screen vs. how close is your face to your tablet when being held in your hands. The answer to the conundrum lies there.
Desktop monitor is about arms length.

Tablet about 6" to 8" closer.

Laptop monitor about the same distance as my iPad.
Laptop monitor has worst ppi.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:25 PM   #23
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
How close is your face to your computer screen vs. how close is your face to your tablet when being held in your hands. The answer to the conundrum lies there.
Precisely. To nip this whole thing in the bud, here are the distance figures for 20/20 vision:

40ppi: 87"
90ppi: 38"
100ppi: 34"
110ppi: 31"
132ppi: 26"
163ppi: 21"
220ppi: 16"
264ppi: 13"
300ppi: 12"
326ppi: 10"
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #24
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianlua View Post
Precisely. To nip this whole thing in the bud, here are the distance figures for 20/20 vision:

40ppi: 87"
90ppi: 38"
100ppi: 34"
110ppi: 31"
132ppi: 26"
163ppi: 21"
220ppi: 16"
264ppi: 13"
300ppi: 12"
326ppi: 10"
You mean I should sit 34" from my HP laptop with its 100ppi?
You mean I should sit 38" from my HP IPS 24" 1080p monitor with its 92 ppi?

Damn. I wish I have longer arms.
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:36 PM   #25
expy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You mean I should sit 34" from my HP laptop with its 100ppi?
You mean I should sit 38" from my HP IPS 24" 1080p monitor with its 92 ppi?

Damn. I wish I have longer arms.
Here ya go.........

expy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: With a higher PPI, do you think the Mini 2 screen will look noticeably better? Sangdushi iPad 3 Oct 30, 2013 07:53 PM
All iPads: Why not more mention about higher ppi mini macguy360 iPad 0 Oct 22, 2013 03:45 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini 2 Retina = 324 ppi (2048 x 1536 pixels)? palpatine iPad 28 Feb 8, 2013 08:51 PM
iPad Mini: The higher PPI is pointless on the mini since websites are scaled. Kendo iPad 32 Nov 14, 2012 09:15 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini has higher ppi than Microsoft surface Hpye iPad 35 Nov 7, 2012 11:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC