Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
macness
macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 glass weak! Shattered, knee height drop

Today at work I had my iPhone 5 in my front shirt pocket. I bent down to pick something up while I was outside and my iPhone 5 fell out from knee height, if not lower because I was slightly crouched, and landed screen first. It shattered like it was going out of style. I have checked out the threads on here about not using a case and I have even started one questioning the use of a screen protector. I'll tell you this much, you NEED some sort of case. THANK GOD I bought applecare+!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	374835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	484.6 KB
ID:	374836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	566.5 KB
ID:	374837  

Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I know, it's the glasses fault
Applejuiced is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:03 AM   #3
SWPROX
macrumors member

Well depends,the use of case that is,I have gone completely naked with iPhone 4,then 4S and now 5,and never have suffered a single scratch,even on screen,just have been very careful so as to avoid any kind of damage.Sorry for your loss,though you have apple care+
SWPROX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

I agree, glass is way too weak! They need to start making the screen out of something else.
stonyboys is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:06 AM   #5
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

That sucks! But yes thank goodness for applecare+
numberforty1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:12 AM   #6
BoricuaHec01
macrumors 6502

Never put anything valuable in your front shirt pocket, you will bend down and forget something is in it.
BoricuaHec01 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPROX View Post
Well depends,the use of case that is,I have gone completely naked with iPhone 4,then 4S and now 5,and never have suffered a single scratch,even on screen,just have been very careful so as to avoid any kind of damage.Sorry for your loss,though you have apple care+
I'm willing to bet you have had hairline scratches.. no way you were scratchless, honestly :/
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:18 AM   #8
macness
macrumors 6502

i'm doing my own scratch tests at the moment since i'm getting a new one tomorrow. WOW! Is it ever weak. It dents super easy too. Next up corner of the table. Anything you guys want me to test out while I got the chance?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:27 AM   #9
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macness View Post
i'm doing my own scratch tests at the moment since i'm getting a new one tomorrow. WOW! Is it ever weak. It dents super easy too. Next up corner of the table. Anything you guys want me to test out while I got the chance?
sure boil it like that asian guy did with his brothers iphone5
numberforty1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:29 AM   #10
ixodes
macrumors 601

These events are know as accidents. I don't care how careful anyone is, you cannot be perfect. Sooner or later you're going to drop your phone. It's best to use a good case designed for protection & not just looks.

Or you can do what I do. I go caseless.

I pay myself $20 month, accrued in a dedicated account, when an accident happens, I've got the funds set aside to pay for it, without giving my money to an insurance plan. Being careful, it was many months before I had to use it.

By the time I experienced my first broken glass I had $440 in reserve. I replaced it myself for just under $100. I haven't had an accident since then, currently it's holding well over $1,000. So as you see I'm well ahead of the game without giving my "insurance money" to anyone else.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:31 AM   #11
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

chequing, savings, and iphone?
numberforty1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:33 AM   #12
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
These events are know as accidents. I don't care how careful anyone is, you cannot be perfect. Sooner or later you're going to drop your phone. It's best to use a good case designed for protection & not just looks.

I pay myself $20 month, accrued in a dedicated account, when an accident happens, I've got the funds set aside to pay for it, without giving my money to an insurance plan. Being careful, it was many months before I had to use it.

By the time I experienced my first broken glass I had $440 in reserve. I replaced it myself for just under $100. I haven't had an accident since then, currently it's holding well over $1,000. So as you see I'm well ahead of the game without giving my "insurance money" to anyone else.

Applecare+ is $100- I'd rather not save $20 a month incase something happens to my phone. lol. I'd rather spend that on the next iPhone, and that would probably still be cheaper
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:35 AM   #13
SWPROX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhimalism View Post
I'm willing to bet you have had hairline scratches.. no way you were scratchless, honestly :/
Well seriously,no scratches ,though I have never put my any of these phones down on hard surface,like put it on a cloth on a table or else it stays in my dedicated left jeans pocket.
SWPROX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:38 AM   #14
adam044
macrumors 65816

I want to see a REAL video of you rubbing keys on the back and stuff like that!
adam044 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:51 AM   #15
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
I want to see a REAL video of you rubbing keys on the back and stuff like that!
It wipes off, but when you tilt it in the light you can see it
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:57 AM   #16
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Applecare+ is $100- I'd rather not save $20 a month incase something happens to my phone. lol. I'd rather spend that on the next iPhone, and that would probably still be cheaper
Learn to pay yourself, learn your math, and you'll be ahead.

Spending is never cheaper like you seem to believe. Once you've got some cash reserves, you'll be glad you do.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #17
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Learn to pay yourself, learn your math, and you'll be ahead.

Spending is never cheaper like you seem to believe. Once you've got some cash reserves, you'll be glad you do.
So your saying apple care isn't worth it? Trust me, i save.You make no sense,applecare+ is 100% the way to go. Think of how much the average phone user spends on there phone in a year. take the iphone 5 for example.

$5-$10 for a cheap case until these iphone 5 cases started to come out
$40 for a case once they finally come out ( not even to mention the pric etag of life proof or otter box cases which range from $50-$100)
$10- for an average screen protector. $20 for a good one
Andost people dont only buy one screen protector and case in the life span of their phones. so thats another $50
No add in the price to fix your screen if it breaks once your out of warranty.. That's at least $50.
Then theres at least one headphone replacement. Free with apple care, $35 out of warranty. I'm not even gonna mention that you might wreck your ONE lightening cable.

I'm not the one who needs to learn my math
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:28 AM   #18
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So your saying apple care isn't worth it? Trust me, i save.You make no sense,applecare+ is 100% the way to go. Think of how much the average phone user spends on there phone in a year. take the iphone 5 for example.

$40 for a case once they finally come out ( not even to mention the pric etag of life proof or otter box cases which range from $50-$100)
Andost people dont only buy one screen protector and case in the life span of their phones. so thats another $50
No add in the price to fix your screen if it breaks once your out of warranty.. That's at least $50.
Then theres at least one headphone replacement. Free with apple care, $35 out of warranty. I'm not even gonna mention that you might wreck your ONE lightening cable.

Extended warranties and $20 screen protectors? How can I lose???
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:15 AM   #19
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I know, it's the glasses fault
Lol this is What I was thinking. I mean no offense but you dropped the phone. And it is half glass. If you dropped a glass just about anything from knee height there's a high possibility it would break.
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:16 AM   #20
macness
macrumors 6502

So much for all those web drop tests
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #21
AFDoc
In Time-Out

Buy all the AC+ you want. I won't because I know how to take care of my phone. So I won't be out another dime while you're spending how much?
AFDoc is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #22
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:

Applecare+ is great I agree. I'm not sure why he knocked your math

I'm a business man and I can tell you all about derivatives.

But long story short you buy "insurance" betting that you'll get your payday.

That's what AppleCare is.

Now, considering it only costs $229, if you don't drop your phone it's worth the $79 risk.

But if you do drop it, go with AppleCare.

And if you are going to do the whole case thing, well, just don't. It's expensive and it makes more sense not to.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:47 AM   #23
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Do you have ANY kind of insurance? Or do you self insure for health, auto, life too?
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:18 AM   #24
ITS ME DAVID
macrumors 6502

Bad luck I guess

video
Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:29 AM   #25
AFDoc
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post

And if you are going to do the whole case thing, well, just don't. It's expensive and it makes more sense not to.
You're a business man and you're saying it's best to go with out a case..... yeah, ok.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone